Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Sigma 105mm 2.8 macro
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 6:58 pm    Post subject: Sigma 105mm 2.8 macro Reply with quote

Went for short walk in woods close by.....

All w/o MF.

I am not fond of this lens,looks and feels cheap but not. AF slow and hunts constantly.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some of those seem to have weak contrast. Looks like AF missed focus on the first flower (or maybe the flower was moving in the wind?) the last shot looks great.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the deer shot (although a bit overexpeosed in my opinion, could also be loss of contrast though).
The macros honestly don't impress me unfortunatly...

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is this the AF version of the lens? I find it a very useful multipurpose telephoto/portrait/macro, but its main failing is flaring when pointing into the light. I have built a hood from a plastic pill tub and black duct tape (just wedges on) which seems to make a big difference

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes and my feelings are it is a cheap looking and feel lens I have 3 better 105mm Macro lenses.this will be gone.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kryss wrote:
Yes and my feelings are it is a cheap looking and feel lens I have 3 better 105mm Macro lenses.this will be gone.

I heard good things about this lens, if it is the copy I am thinking it is. Some claim it out preforms the Tamron SP 90 macro and this lens was on my short list for a new macro lens in the 100mm range. Can you please post a pic of your lens?

Is it this lens?

These are a few test shots i found from this lens:

Last edited by spiralcity on Wed Aug 02, 2017 8:59 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine is EX Sigma but everything else looks same. Sony A mount.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had one for a while but sold it and for once, have no regrets about doing so. It also felt cheap to me, lacked contrast and the AF, when it worked, seemed to hunt for ages.
I like the deer shot - which woods in Calgary are you getting deer in? Obviously not anywhere near the recent cougar sightings...

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Inglewood bird sanctuary....and you confirm my thoughts on this lens.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kryss wrote:
Inglewood bird sanctuary....and you confirm my thoughts on this lens.

I'm not convinced this photo represents a lens malady. I am more inclined to believe this image shows user error more than anything else. I am not faulting your skills, but that is exactly what I am seeing in this scene. I am not seeing any clarity, which tells me you missed on focus which will cause all kinds of problems with contrast.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for your unrequited comments.. the lens is a piece of crap.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kryss wrote:
Thank you for your unrequited comments.. the lens is a piece of crap.

There is no need to take it personal, I was not attacking you in any way , shape, or form. If you do not like the lens, that's on you and your entitled to that opinion. I just felt your test images did no justice to what I have seen this lens capable of doing. It's very easy to find hundreds of very good test images from this lens. To each his own.