Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Who else is shooting Fujifilm ?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 8:50 pm    Post subject: Who else is shooting Fujifilm ? Reply with quote

I think I am close to move to Fuji XE2 . Are here more Fuji shooters?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 1:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I shoot Fuji film -- I really like Provia and Velvia -- but that isn't what you meant, was it? The only Fujufilm camera I own is an ancient 3mp DLSR looking thing. Tell you what, though -- for a 3mp camera, it does a surprisingly good job. I chalk it up to Fuji's excellent optics.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Second velvia, provia, & superia. When I rarely photographed until after digital I always used Fujifilm. I'm about to break some open soon, in fact, to run through the Spots...

That Fuji digital is appealing crop-sensor camera, even to full frame dedicatee! Smile

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 8:41 am    Post subject: Re: Who else is shooting Fujifilm ? Reply with quote

Teo wrote:

I use the Fuji X-T1, which is of the same generation as the X-E2. The X-T1 has a better EVF though.

Decisive for me were the layout of the controls, with many physical dials and buttons, so no need to get into all kinds of menu's for changing a lot of settings.

The focus assist tools on Fuji work really well with adapted glass.

I also really like the JPG-output straight from the camera.

The X-E2 is meanwhile very friendly priced, and a good buy if the form-factor suits you. Be sure to update the firmware of the body, and of any native lens you get with it.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 8:53 am    Post subject: Re: Who else is shooting Fujifilm ? Reply with quote

Sjak wrote:
Teo wrote:

I use the Fuji X-T1, which is of the same generation as the X-E2. The X-T1 has a better EVF though.

Decisive for me were the layout of the controls, with many physical dials and buttons, so no need to get into all kinds of menu's for changing a lot of settings.

The focus assist tools on Fuji work really well with adapted glass.

I also really like the JPG-output straight from the camera.

The X-E2 is meanwhile very friendly priced, and a good buy if the form-factor suits you. Be sure to update the firmware of the body, and of any native lens you get with it.

Thanks for the advice , I was aware about the firmware update but not for the lenses .I plan to get the 16-50ois ,it's wider and lighter than the 18-55 .

I am impressed with the little X20 wich I like very much the feel and layout of controls .....much more like a classic real camera than the sony a5000 . And the jpeg output is impressive for a small sensor . Allmost all my photos this year are made with the X20

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree, Fuji got a lot of things right, both in interface and in output. Others may have varying opinions of course, but those can be catered by other manufacturers Smile

Re. the 16-50: Fuji has 3 zooms in this range.

The 16-50 is indeed a pretty sweet & small zoom; the aperture might a limiting factor (and this lens has no aperture ring). But combined with e.g. a fast prime (whether native or adapted) it can be very useful.

The 18-55 seems to be a very good lens for a "kit"-lens.

The 16-55 with constant f/2.8 is large, heavy and expensive, but of very high quality.

Fuji has quite some really good lenses actually, both primes and zooms. Personally, I use the 18 2.0 in my walkaround-kit. On friends&family-occasions, I often take the 23 1.4 with me (expensive but amazing); other than these, I use mostly vintage lenses, but of course your preferences may vary.

I do consider a native lens with a longer FL for outdoors longer distance shots which I consider difficult with MF-lenses; maybe I'll get the XC 50-230 (cheap and light)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your oppinions !
I am looking for a compromise between good image , light and small . The much applauded 18-55 seems to me already too big and heavy for what I need. How do you like the 18/2 ? I saw negative reviews about its performance ....as about the 16-50sony wich is not so bad after all ,especially when considering price ,bulk and weight ...

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only Fuji Superia, because Kodak has and had nothing like it. Wink I'd have bought into their Fuji-X system before buying Panasonic but the Fuji-X AF was slow and noisy at the time, and obviously the Fuji was quite a bit more expensive and larger and overall I felt like their menu UI left a lot to be desired. I think things are better now? Anyway, they're gradually killing Superia and the rest of their traditional film production, so... I really hate those Instax executives right now.

I'm still yet to be convinced by their X-Trans sensor. From every review I've read, it doesn't seem to make an appreciable difference to anything and actually seems to be worse in many areas. I'm thinking their claims are only justified in the lab - in theory...
I'm interested to hear from real users. Do you notice any advantage or disadvantages of X-trans, or are you just more interested in the whole package - being fairly unique in the market - and simply not care to critically analyse the sensor?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Teemō wrote:
I'm still yet to be convinced by their X-Trans sensor. From every review I've read, it doesn't seem to make an appreciable difference to anything and actually seems to be worse in many areas. I'm thinking their claims are only justified in the lab - in theory...
I'm interested to hear from real users. Do you notice any advantage or disadvantages of X-trans, or are you just more interested in the whole package - being fairly unique in the market - and simply not care to critically analyse the sensor?

The main alleged "issue with X-trans" comes in fact from Lightroom's subpar processing algorithms for Fuji-RAF-files.
To be honest, I bought into the Fuji-system mainly because of the ergonomics; any digital ILC nowadays, be it M43, APSC or FF, can deliver great images; if it can't I think it is fair to blame it on the operator Very Happy

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Teo wrote:
How do you like the 18/2 ? I saw negative reviews about its performance ....as about the 16-50sony wich is not so bad after all ,especially when considering price ,bulk and weight ...
The negative reviews seem to come from people who have unrealistic expectations for a lens it this pricerange. Also some people with extremely acute hearing seem to complain about a bit of "whirr whirr" sounds it makes when focussing. Unless shooting in a library or at a funeral, realistically, nobody will notice this.

It is a small and light lens, very useful in a wide variety of situations, indoors and outdoors, in daylight and after dark, close focus and scenic views. It is more of a "storytelling lens" though, and at that, it is very good. I like the color rendering. Typically, my city-trip travel-kit will consist of the Fuji 18mm combined with the Summicron-C 40mm or the Jupiter-3. It can be found new for around 300 euro, and I consider it worth that price.

Some real-world-reviews from actual users:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PXQUjXI7iEQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aNPmt91744Q

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well put about the ergonomics .For one that was used with the old mf cameras rf or slr the feel of these cameras is very close , at least my little x20 .It is , it feels like a little rangefinder with soul and style . Silent ,small ,old style ,astounding images in low light for such a small sensor . Don't know if the IQ is mainly because the x-trans or because the optimisation with the fast lens /stabilisation allowing keeping the ISO reasonably low . the images are quite useable . Wich other small cameras deliver (sony rx100 for example ,as compact small sensor,or the a5000-APS-C) but the pleasure of using it doesn't compare . Fuji is an inspiring little cam .

Thanks about the 18/2 info . Have you tried to shoot with it in low light indoor or by night ? the lack of OIS bothers you somehow ? Probably the fast aperture allows shutter speeds around 1/25 s ,on the other hand , using f2 comes with a shallower depth of field on APS-C ,wich can be less useful for landscape/cityscape/indoor architecture shooting.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use the X20, X-Pro1, and X-T1. Overall the X-T1 is my favorite, but all of them are wonderful.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chuck luck wrote:
I use the X20, X-Pro1, and X-T1. Overall the X-T1 is my favorite, but all of them are wonderful.

Beautiful happy family !