Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Olympus Trip 35 *rare find?*
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 8:28 am    Post subject: Olympus Trip 35 *rare find?* Reply with quote

Hi all,
So i am an avid Trip user, i love the simplicity of the camera and the images it produces. I have a 70's version with chrome button and i love it!
The other day i was wandering round a local car boot and saw a Trip box... "I bet there's no camera in there" i thought. Oh how wrong i was....
So i asked how much he wanted for the camera and he said £12. I wasn't going to argue with that so paid the man, thanked him and off i trotted.
When i got home i opened the box and was amazed to find not only the box in amazing condition but the camera, user manual, warranty information and lens cap all present and correct.

Then i looked at the camera closer...looks like a later model as it has a black shutter button but there was a thing hanging off the side of it where the wrist strap was... a film tab? erm ok... looked closer and read Kodak, 12 exposures.... Could this be....??? i looked at the shutter count on the top..... 1...

So looks like i have a mint, unused boxed Trip 35 with lens cap, wrist strap, user manual, warranty card and original film loaded!!! I don't know how rare this is but to me it sounds like a great find.
Not interested in selling, i think this is something i will be putting safe on my shelf. I kind of feel bad now that i didn't pay the guy more :-/
Anyways here's some pics Smile
Untitled by Geoff Palmer, on Flickr

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Use it! It's a good camera. Don't leave it on a shelf tae be dusted. It won't get dusty if it's taking pictures. It's in fine condition, probably worth £10 more than ye paid. They're easy tae find. Laughing

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i've seen a lot of trips but none with the original film / never used.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

urbanfreestyle wrote:

I doubt if that is an originally attached film reminder.... Seems to me if Olympus did this at all they'd be using Fuji or another Japanese made film.

Nevertheless, it is a great find, looks like new, with box and all complete: i always love that! Just shoot with it!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TrueLoveOne wrote:
urbanfreestyle wrote:

I doubt if that is an originally attached film reminder.... Seems to me if Olympus did this at all they'd be using Fuji or another Japanese made film.

Nevertheless, it is a great find, looks like new, with box and all complete: i always love that! Just shoot with it!

There's an image in my head from many moons ago of the Trip being sold with a starter film, as consumer cameras were quite often, but I think it was in a presentation tray. This is from memory and could be completely wrong.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 2:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Trip was 1969, good condition (not as nice as this one). Ah knew that Olympus stopped making them in the mid-eighties...after checking, late '86). Kodacolor Gold wasn't produced 'til 1997 - changed its name from Kodacolor VR100/200/400 tae Kodacolor Gold 100/200/400. So sadly not the hoped-for happy ending tae this tale. It would've been a romantic ending if this was an all original kit. Looks like this was just a very well looked after camera and the box end was used, as millions of photographers used them - tae remind themselves of what they were shooting. Like 1 small

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

so this could be a sad ending Sad I'm unsure why or where someone would obtain the 12 exp roll of film though?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi UF,

12 exposures was very common, across all brands - 12/24/36 were standard sizes. Ah used 12s a lot, as a kid, simply because ah couldn't afford 24s/36s ! Ye used to get slide film in 20s, as well as 24/36. Like 1 small

PS hardly a sad ending, ye have a beautiful camera, in excellent condition. If ye sold it all, as a lot, probably 4/5 times what ye paid.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah true, I mean i bought this as i thought it was a nice box to go with my nice trip. Will keep it in the box and as nice as i can as i dint buy it to make a profit. Might keep it as a nice keepsake and hand it on to someone in years to come!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2019 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

An unused camera would have a plastic strip attached to the pressure plate. And the strap would not be attached, but in a small plastic bag. Not loaded with film. This has been used but very carefully looked after. I'd be cock-a-hoop though.!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2019 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent camera - good find Smile

Hopefully the selenium-cell meter is still functioning and accurate. A couple of similar cameras I've handled recently no longer auto-expose Sad