Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Need Some Help Adapting a 1911/1912 Zeiss Tessar 7,5cm f/3.5
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 3:50 pm    Post subject: Need Some Help Adapting a 1911/1912 Zeiss Tessar 7,5cm f/3.5 Reply with quote

Alrighty!

I got this lens recently and I'm a bit rusty when it comes to adapting antique brass lenses.

This one in particular is kind of confounding as it has a focusing helicoid already as a part of it.

So I guess I'll ask my questions in order to see if I can get some answers. Pics of it will be at the bottom of the post.

I'll be adapting this to a Fuji kit (X-T2/X-Pro2).

Condition-wise, it's pretty good. Some striations from "cleaning" and barrel is slightly dirty. I will probably give it a minor cleaning. Interestingly, the felt in the rear element barrel is in great condition upon a cursory glance. I find that pretty nice for a lens that's at least 100 years old. It's too bad the focus lever knob seems to be missing but hopefully I can come up with a solution for that.

First, I'm curious what system this originally went on. I was under the impression that most early lenses were used on a bellows system, so this one seems unusual in that it has a focusing apparatus already built in. When were lenses starting to implement this feature? I think this may go on a medium format system as it resembles the lens found on the Rolleiflex TLR's.

I tried searching for the "349" stamp on the lower barrel and the "AII" mark on the aperture ring, but no matter what I input into Google in relation to the lens name, focal length, etc., I was unable to find any direct info on this lens or mount system it may have belonged to.

The screw mount size on the rear, below the lever mechanism roughly fits M42 (42mm) threads. I was able to mount it to an M42 to Fuji X adapter, though it didn't screw on all the way so maybe the size is a bit different than 42mm? Maybe cleaning the thread (it's slightly greasy and dirty) would help? Any thoughts on this?

When the barrel is fully collapsed into the rear, is when it is at infinity. I say this, because I have no idea how long I need to make whatever adapter I need so it focuses properly on my Fuji gear. Also, wouldn't the focusing mechanism mean that it would affect the proper adapter to use in regards to length and including the m42 to Fuji X adapter I'll eventually need to get it fully mounted? Would getting a tube be the proper procedure? I'd like to avoid a bellows if possible.

I think that's it for now and any help is greatly appreciated. I look forward to a lively discussion! Thanks for your time guys!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 4:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Need Some Help Adapting a 1911/1912 Zeiss Tessar 7,5cm f Reply with quote

mackeral wrote:
When the barrel is fully collapsed into the rear, is when it is at infinity. I say this, because I have no idea how long I need to make whatever adapter I need so it focuses properly on my Fuji gear. Also, wouldn't the focusing mechanism mean that it would affect the proper adapter to use in regards to length and including the m42 to Fuji X adapter I'll eventually need to get it fully mounted? Would getting a tube be the proper procedure? I'd like to avoid a bellows if possible.

Get the register distance first, all you need is a dim room, some sort of semi opaque light source and piece of white paper: put the scale to like 2 meters, point the light source at 2 meters away and move the paper. When the picture is sharp, you get the approximate register distance and can start to plan the adapter system.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 5:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Need Some Help Adapting a 1911/1912 Zeiss Tessar 7,5cm f Reply with quote

kansalliskala wrote:
mackeral wrote:

Get the register distance first, all you need is a dim room, some sort of semi opaque light source and piece of white paper: put the scale to like 2 meters, point the light source at 2 meters away and move the paper. When the picture is sharp, you get the approximate register distance and can start to plan the adapter system.

I use the window and a ruler and project on a white paper on my chest, easy to read the ruler and get approx BFD easily then Wink

For that type of lens, a rough estimation would be 75mm from the middle of the lens.

Easy to adapt as it has a thread mount already, so an adapter ring plus focusing helicoid should do...

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 5:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Need Some Help Adapting a 1911/1912 Zeiss Tessar 7,5cm f Reply with quote

kds315* wrote:
kansalliskala wrote:
mackeral wrote:

I use the window and a ruler and project on a white paper on my chest, easy to read the ruler and get approx BFD easily then Wink

For that type of lens, a rough estimation would be 75mm from the middle of the lens.

Easy to adapt as it has a thread mount already, so an adapter ring plus focusing helicoid should do...

Focusing helicoid, though it already has one?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Should be relatively easy. M4/3rd to m42 adapter , m42 to extension tube(s) then lens.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jamaeolus wrote:
Should be relatively easy. M4/3rd to m42 adapter , m42 to extension tube(s) then lens.

why M4/3rd? how long of an extension tube?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry, fuji to m42, with the m42 you can buy helical extension tubes of a couple of different lengths to get to where you need to be. I use a similar type of setup with enlarger lenses that don't even have a helical. If you buy a cheap m42 extension tube set it will give you several lengths you can use. You will have to experiment to find the correct combo of tubes.