Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

What are UNIVERSAR AUTO MF Lenses? Which OEM Brand?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 5:45 am    Post subject: What are UNIVERSAR AUTO MF Lenses? Which OEM Brand? Reply with quote

Hi Guys,

i've bought finally another Zeiss Ikon Icarex 35s on eBay, always wanted the M42 Edition "TM"...and i've got 3 Lenses "for free" as bargain with the SLR, so i am wondering - i've never ever heard about this brand, are they any kind of being good, useable...like Yashica ML for example, or Minolta MDs, or are they being rubbish?!

They're into M42 Format, 35/2.8, 55/2.8 & 135/2.8, called Universar Auto, and Uni Auto (i think the Uni Auto ones are a bit newer)

Here's a picture:

[img]

I think they're not that quite good...but who knows.... Wink

best,
Marc

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Universar Auto - maybe Cosina???

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, perhaps...i don't know. Can tell more next week, when the package should being arrived here. Wink

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here in second comment there are some info about this brand.
http://forum.mflenses.com/auto-universar-pc-hi-d-35mm-f1-8-t49764.html

I see them from time to time on the flea market. They always ridiculously cheap and looks like pretty ordinary lens from these times.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Watch here: http://camera-wiki.org/wiki/Universa and here: http://www.kameramuseum.de/0-fotokameras/uvw/universa-interflex-tl.html
The lenses have been marked as Universar. Obviously from Cosina.

Uni was a camera naming convention from German Photo distributor Porst (Uniflex). Also made by Cosina.

Last edited by tb_a on Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:56 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thank you both, guys. Well, as a free add-on basically, one can't complain about this trio, i'd say. Smile

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for sharing that page on camera-wiki! I wrote it some time ago, there's very little info about the Universa name, they're something like Revue, a re-brander who bought cameras and lenses from various companies. They never got to the size of the Revue brand though.

I think you'll just have to try them, sometimes rebranded lenses can be real surprises. In the Netherlands we had Pentor, also a re-brander, the name is equal to "very bad lenses" over here. That is true for some of them (made in Korea), but i found an M42 Pentor 35mm and a 100mm lens that are actually very good performers!

Cheers, René!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Judging by the photo only the left one is surely Cosina.