Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Tell me this is not a scam.
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2021 4:26 pm    Post subject: Tell me this is not a scam. Reply with quote

There is this website with incredible prices for used lenses. Too good to be true?
I bought and paid but by the time you reach the checkout, you deal with rather suspicious weird websites. Still you can use paypal. 🤔🤔🤔
This is where it starts :
https://www.sophyian.top/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=2_5

Any reassuring comment welcome.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2021 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, free lenses 😁! Free shipping as well 😋.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2021 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seen a similar site. Certainly a scam. Probably some smart auto page generator.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2021 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

😠😡😠😡 Trying to cancel the payment. How does paypal not recognize this BS ???
Thanks guys.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2021 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phalbert wrote:
Thanks guys.

Just make sure you really paid through paypal.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2021 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just clicked on the link and my antivirus (Trend Micro Internet Security) automatically flagged it as a "dangerous scam page."

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2021 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Landing page, almost everything is at $26 or $10. I even do not have the idea this site can be legal/real.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2021 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

caspert79 wrote:
Phalbert wrote:
Thanks guys.

Just make sure you really paid through paypal.

Change your paypal password anyway ASAP.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2021 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DConvert, changed password. Thanks.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2021 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm very angry at paypal. They should detect it when certain websites come up at the checkout what these sites are about.
When you try to contact them, everything is automatic, even the voice when you call them directly and you never get an option to cancel the order even if the payment hasn't gone off yet, as in my case.
Of course I should have been more carefull too, thanks for reminding me...

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2021 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phalbert wrote:
I'm very angry at paypal. They should detect it when certain websites come up at the checkout what these sites are about.
When you try to contact them, everything is automatic, even the voice when you call them directly and you never get an option to cancel the order even if the payment hasn't gone off yet, as in my case.
Of course I should have been more carefull too, thanks for reminding me...

Are you sure you paid through the actual Paypal site? It would actually surprise me.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2021 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, this is a scam, the giveaway is a selection of random images.... that could only come from eBay listings. Particularly those which look taken in a studio.

You can see when you reverse image search them:

Then again, there's even scam listings on eBay using other people's eBay photos, but they've died down recently.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2021 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you get your money back or a lens I will tell you it is not a scam.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2021 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

as they say if it looks too good to be true then it probably is.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2021 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

More and more similar sites are offering "bargains". There are many advertisings on Facebook and similar sites not only for camera gear.....

The first issue to check is wheather there is a plausible impressum with all the legal stuff; particularly the registration location of the company and contact details. If there is none at all like on this site then it's most probably fake and criminal.
If offerings are to cheap in comparison to other sites then keep off as well.
Obviously it works also the other way round: Stuff is presented with more than 50% special discount and is still available somewhere else for lower prices.

Generally I don't buy from unknown sources any longer; even non-prime offerings on Amazon may be fake or criminal. All that's by far too risky for my taste and I don't like troubles....

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2021 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To Caspert79. Yes I paid with the real paypal. Went to check my account details et changed my PW. But I managed to stop the payment with my bank. I already got a mail from some crook asking why I don't want his laptop anymore (initial order was for lenses...) I suppose now, with my adress, there will be more to come... 😕 What a mess. Lesson learned.
Thanks to everyone.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2021 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess their mistake is offering lenses too cheap to trick more people. I wonder what is the deal with those strange Chinese listings and what do they actually offer:

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/173921816282
https://www.ebay.ca/itm/223934031897
https://www.ebay.ca/itm/203275224985

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2021 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pancolart wrote:
I guess their mistake is offering lenses too cheap to trick more people. I wonder what is the deal with those strange Chinese listings and what do they actually offer:

The offering is clear. Some home made modifications of Pancolars with M39 mount and an original one at insane pricing.

In some parts of the world "Zeiss" and "Germany" are still selling for unbelievable prices, most probably these buyers dont know that you can buy such a M42 Pancolar for max. Euro 30 at a fleamarket in Europe.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2021 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tb_a wrote:
Pancolart wrote:

The offering is clear. Some home made modifications of Pancolars with M39 mount and an original one at insane pricing.

In some parts of the world "Zeiss" and "Germany" are still selling for unbelievable prices, most probably these buyers dont know that you can buy such a M42 Pancolar for max. Euro 30 at a fleamarket in Europe.

It is 1.4/55mm version Smile

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2021 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pancolart wrote:
It is 1.4/55mm version

OK, Euro 60 then... Wink