Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

How to develop 50+ years exposed film?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2016 4:17 pm    Post subject: How to develop 50+ years exposed film? Reply with quote

Got as a Christmas present a Retina I, his father used. Thank you again!

But there was a partially (don't know how many frames) exposed colour film.

I think it has to be from the 50's. How shoud it be developed to get any kind of result?

I do have my C41 set but haven't had any experience with it yet. I think a couple of more months will do the difference.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2016 6:02 pm    Post subject: Re: How to develop 50+ years exposed film? Reply with quote

kansalliskala wrote:
Got as a Christmas present a Retina I, his father used. Thank you again!

But there was a partially (don't know how many frames) exposed colour film.

I think it has to be from the 50's. How shoud it be developed to get any kind of result?

I do have my C41 set but haven't had any experience with it yet. I think a couple of more months will do the difference.

Well if you want colour it would have to be sent off to a lab as IIRC C41 dev won't work properly.......some guys here might know how you can dev for B\W.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2016 7:09 pm    Post subject: Re: How to develop 50+ years exposed film? Reply with quote

Excalibur wrote:
Well if you want colour it would have to be sent off to a lab as IIRC C41 dev won't work properly.......some guys here might know how you can dev for B\W.

I could send it to some local lab that knew what they would do with it .. -- if the world was perfect .. and there were such labs. I could even pay some money for it.

Twisted Evil

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2016 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Old colour films were dev using C22 and one quick check on google, a lab would do it but the results would be B\W as for them it was difficult to achieve colour images h'mm. You can dev colour films with B\W chemicals (IIRC even Kodachrome), but as said, there must be someone who knows what chemicals\make to use, but whether it's worth buying these chemicals for DIY would depend on how valuable the images are on the neg.
So there are labs that would do it and if in the USA e.g. these guys can do it http://www.thecamerashop.com/imagecenter/c22.html also in the UK but don't know for the rest of Europe. good luck.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2017 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thank you for the info!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2017 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want to have it developed for you, check out these guys: https://www.filmrescue.com

Happy New Year!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2017 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great surprise!

I looked at the film again and it was a b&w film. I don't know why I took it as a color film, I just assumed he had shot color for some anachronistic reasoning.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/jz0fgza1b4nj1d7/IMG_2431.JPG?dl=0

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2017 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kansalliskalaCafe wrote:
Great surprise!

I looked at the film again and it was a b&w film. I don't know why I took it as a color film, I just assumed he had shot color for some anachronistic reasoning.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/jz0fgza1b4nj1d7/IMG_2431.JPG?dl=0

Well that's solved a big problem...maybe you should visit http://www.apug.org/forum/index.php as they are for film users, for more info.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2017 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kansalliskalaCafe wrote:

I looked at the film again and it was a b&w film.

Cool! That is an old canister, you can even re-fill it! To reduce the fog you get on old b&w films it's best to develop in HC-110, it reduces fog significantly.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2017 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TrueLoveOne wrote:
To reduce the fog you get on old b&w films it's best to develop in HC-110, it reduces fog significantly.

How about Ilfosol 3?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kansalliskalaCafe wrote:
TrueLoveOne wrote:
To reduce the fog you get on old b&w films it's best to develop in HC-110, it reduces fog significantly.

How about Ilfosol 3?

I have no idea. Never used it.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TrueLoveOne wrote:

I haven't also.
But it is a fluid and much more available than Kodak.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kansalliskalaCafe wrote:
TrueLoveOne wrote:

I haven't also.

That depends on where you live i guess, over here HC110 is widely available and cheap. It also has a very, very long shelf-life. You mix what you need, use it one shot and that is it.
I love it!
Ilfotec HC is said to be similar or at least very much the same product.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TrueLoveOne wrote:
kansalliskalaCafe wrote:
TrueLoveOne wrote:

I haven't also.

That depends on where you live i guess, over here HC110 is widely available and cheap. It also has a very, very long shelf-life. You mix what you need, use it one shot and that is it.
I love it!
Ilfotec HC is said to be similar or at least very much the same product.

I have to order HC110 from Germany, but actually I'm not in that hurry. Nordfoto ships all stuff with just one 11 euros p&p so I have to think what else I need.

Do you store it in 100 ml little bottles such as the tip says?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kansalliskala wrote:

No, never heard of that tip.... it's just in it's original plastic bottle, it's 2 years old now, no problems.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TrueLoveOne wrote:
kansalliskala wrote:

No, never heard of that tip.... it's just in it's original plastic bottle, it's 2 years old now, no problems.

No bellows bottle or other?

here is the tip
https://www.nordfoto.de/analoge-fotografie/verbrauchsmaterial/fotochemikalien/sw-film-entwickler/kodak-hc-110-entwickler-fluessig-1-liter

Quote:
Wir empfehlen, nach dem Kauf, den Entwickler in kleine Flaschen mit je 100ml Inhalt umzufüllen und der Reihe nach zu verwenden. So ist die Haltbarkeit dieses Produktes fast unbegrenzt.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kansalliskalaCafe wrote:

Nope. I did that when i used D76 developer, it comes in powder and needs mixing. After it's mixed the shelf-life is about 3-4 months, sometimes i had to throw it out because there are periods that i do not shoot enough. That is why i only use HC-110 and Rodinal: just mix what you need and never worry about chemistry gone bad! I'd hate it when my negs come out bad or blank because the chemicals turned bad....

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TrueLoveOne wrote:
kansalliskalaCafe wrote:

Nope. I did that when i used D76 developer, it comes in powder and needs mixing. After it's mixed the shelf-life is about 3-4 months, sometimes i had to throw it out because there are periods that i do not shoot enough. That is why i only use HC-110 and Rodinal: just mix what you need and never worry about chemistry gone bad! I'd hate it when my negs come out bad or blank because the chemicals turned bad....

thank you for all the advice!

I'll just compile some nice order to nordfoto including HC-110