Home
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Kodak KAF-1300, the chip that made DSLRs happen
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 8:59 am    Post subject: Kodak KAF-1300, the chip that made DSLRs happen Reply with quote

IEEE has an interesting paper about the first working DSLR solution: the $25.000 KODAK DCS 100

http://spectrum.ieee.org/semiconductors/optoelectronics/chip-hall-of-fame-kodak-kaf1300-image-sensor

(c) IEEE/KODAK

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like 1 Thanks, very interesting.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any idea with the infamous lens? Wasn't any other wider AF available then?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Klaus!
16m wide pixels! And at least the sensor (perhaps not with that camera) could be bought with UV phosphor coating for UV photography!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ZoneV wrote:
Thank you Klaus!
16�m wide pixels! And at least the sensor (perhaps not with that camera) could be bought with UV phosphor coating for UV photography!

yep, missed that; not enough change in the stamp money box Wink

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still like (prefer, if I'm honest) the look a CCD can give. Very clean, and closer to film. To my eyes at least.

Although I've ended up with a fair few compacts, my 'go to' is a seven year old Canon S90, which has a 10mp 1/1.7" CCD. If it breaks I might well just have to buy another one used, as CCD seems to have become the Betamax of the digital camera world.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 5:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Someone want to buy a SLR/c? Twisted Evil

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This tech is one of the few good things to come out of the Cold War - it's derived from the sensors developed for guided missiles.

BTW, the Leica M9 sensor is a derivative of a missile sensor too.