Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Uran-27 2.5/100mm aerial lens in the park
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 5:33 pm    Post subject: Uran-27 2.5/100mm aerial lens in the park Reply with quote

Got this lens today and took it to the park. All shot at f2.5

sharp, but in a very pleasant way, not too high contrast, needs custom white balance
due to special coating for longer wavelengths. Very prone to flare, so needs sunshade
(did not use). Great bokeh (busy or creamy doable). Good lens for portraits for sure!

Full set is here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/kds315/albums/72157683211296270

Last edited by kds315* on Mon Jun 19, 2017 7:51 pm; edited 4 times in total

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Part II a few other shots to compare...

Very little CA, good sharpness at infinity (what it was designed for)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like 1 Like 1 Like 1 As usual,but "oh my" it has flare when pointed to Sunlight?You sell it to me Cheap as I only shoot in overcast skies. Wink

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kryss wrote:
Like 1 Like 1 Like 1 As usual,but "oh my" it has flare when pointed to Sunlight?You sell it to me Cheap as I only shoot in overcast skies. Wink

Thanks Chris! It flares in many situations, not just in sunlight. And I never said I would sell it, too nice it is .. Wink

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow!
Like 1 Like 1 Like 1
I've always been intrigued by the aerial lenses. Amazing sharpens at all distances!
Lovely flower photos, as usually, Klaus. I like the way you mastered the lens, especially in the photos where the bokeh becomes a little busy - it doesn't do it in a nervous way, it doesn't grasp the attention from the main subject. It's delicacy of the way the lens renders you put in value nicely.

Another special lens with a well balanced character to look after! Smile

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dan_ wrote:
Wow!
Like 1 Like 1 Like 1
I've always been intrigued by the aerial lenses. Amazing sharpens at all distances!
Lovely flower photos, as usually, Klaus. I like the way you mastered the lens, especially in the photos where the bokeh becomes a little busy - it doesn't do it in a nervous way, it doesn't grasp the attention from the main subject. It's delicacy of the way the lens renders you put in value nicely.

Another special lens with a well balanced character to look after! Smile

Thank you Dan! Indeed it is a bit tricky and one ha sto pay attention to the background or it gets rather busy - but some seem to be after that, so it is doable if so wanted. For portraits it would allow a very smooth transition it seems and I expect very nice skin tones, as it is not overly sharp wide open (which it gets stopped down a bit).

Just back from my mechanic where we bettered the rarther clumsy and rough M42 conversion (and secured the lens unscrewing itself and falling out!), now I it will work much smoother and safer.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice looking!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice neon-look in #1

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 3:06 am    Post subject: Re: Uran-27 2.5/100mm aerial lens in the park Reply with quote

Very nice!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys!

Here a few carpenter bee shots on muscat sage with it... [50% crops]

for a fully open lens, quite some sharpness!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For an aerial lens - an appropriate subject!
Anyway, good luck or good technique, getting a bee in flight at f/2.5

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

luisalegria wrote:
For an aerial lens - an appropriate subject!
Anyway, good luck or good technique, getting a bee in flight at f/2.5

Guess I was lucky indeed, but the GH4 also helps with electronic shutter 1/16.000...

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 4:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kds315* wrote:
Thanks guys!

Nice photos. I need to grow that again so the carpenter bees will come back to
my house.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 4:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

uddhava wrote:
kds315* wrote:
Thanks guys!

Nice photos. I need to grow that again so the carpenter bees will come back to
my house.
Carpenter bees should BUILD you a house. Wink

Amazing photos. My guess 15% lens 85% photographer.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you guys!!

Con sidering that this URAN-27 "conversion" to M42 allowed the lens to unscrew from its
crude russian helicoid and could fall out, I too was surprised about the results I got Wink
[my mechanic and I found a solution to fix that issue...]

Justa word about that aerial lens: It is optimized for longer wavelengths and produces odd colors
if used with normal whitebalance. I made a custom one which eleminated that problem partially...

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great results! You have a good copy of it, congrats! Like 1

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BurstMox wrote:
Great results! You have a good copy of it, congrats! Like 1

Merci bien Pierre!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow totally excellent Like 1

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kds315* wrote:
Justa word about that aerial lens: It is optimized for longer wavelengths and produces odd colors
if used with normal whitebalance. I made a custom one which eleminated that problem partially...

Interesting. I knew that was the case with the earlier 100/2.5 Uran-10, thought it wasn't for the Uran-27. Oh, well. Live and learn.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 4:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

danfromm wrote:
kds315* wrote:

Interesting. I knew that was the case with the earlier 100/2.5 Uran-10, thought it wasn't for the Uran-27. Oh, well. Live and learn.

The opposite actually Dan, Urans-10 is not coated this way I was told by its owner Wink

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Klaus, see:

http://www.photohistory.ru/1207248190024779.html

and

http://www.photohistory.ru/index.php?pid=1207248190090015

Cheers,

Dan

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

danfromm wrote:
Klaus, see:

and

Cheers,

Dan

Thanks Dan, confirms perfectly my stament!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 2:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kds315* wrote:
danfromm wrote:
Klaus, see:

and

Cheers,

Dan

Thanks Dan, confirms perfectly my stament!

I don't think so. Look again.

Per Google Translate, the Uran-10:

Quote:
Long-focus lens with a field of view angle of 61 ° (in other versions - from 56 ° to 62 °) for cameras with a frame size of 8x8 cm. Resolution (center / edge) - 32/10 l / mm; According to other data [104, 43.02b] - 42/14. The lens is corrected for the orange-red area and is applied with filters ZhS-18, OS-12, KS-14.

and the Uran-27:

Quote:
A long-focus lens with a diagonal angle of 54 ° for cameras with a 8x8 cm frame format (for a 70x80mm frame). Components / lenses - 5/7. The lens is corrected for a wide blue-red spectral region and can be applied without a filter.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

just bought an uran-27 from ebay, hopefully in good condition...

what’s the exact flange distance? read somewhere it’s around the L39 flange (28.80mm). going to adapt it for a mirrorless camera (canon ef-m mount 18mm); I know it’s a bit of waste of glass...

just found this focus helicoid (27 to 59mm) which could be useful but I don’t know the maximum focus distance (closest) allowed with this lens.
http://vi.raptor.ebaydesc.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItemDescV4&item=261261216343&category=30059&pm=1&ds=0&t=1537512922000&ver=0&cspheader=1

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The hardest part in the adaptation of this lens is to fix on it a M42 mount, because it has a big rear glass. Focal flange is longer than L39, you can even use it on reflex camera if the lens is well adapted.