Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

The Leica / Minolta Collaboration
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 1:31 pm    Post subject: The Leica / Minolta Collaboration Reply with quote

While browsing some old Amateur Photographer magazines from 2011 I came across this article on the Leica / Minolta SLR and lens collaboration which, if you are a Minolta lens and camera fan like me, makes interesting reading.
I may have posted this before on the forum some years ago but it doesn't do any harm to show it again.

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A good read. I had known about the Leica/Minolta agreement since the early 80s, but had never read an article on the subject. So this was a nice bit of information for me.

Thanks, Edgar.

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is 75-200/4.5 which almost looks like this pipe, only fantasy branded (danubia or whatever) and for AF.

And yes it makes near perfect images.

Did the optical formula maybe wander a bit farther?

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fun read !

TFS

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 5:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great read indeed!

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had known about this for a long time, and I knew it was part of my enamor with Minolta, but never have I seen an official article like this.
Thank you so much for sharing. Smile

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 8:00 am    Post subject: Minolta - Leitz mount switching Reply with quote

There was even the very long and expensive Leitz lens that was given a Minolta mount on special order, but it seems that it is not well known whether many of those were actually sold .

Even stranger, the 800 Minolta catadioptric given an R mount; listed as "available through the Minolta sales organization" (General Catelogue july 1977, page 33).

p.

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for posting. Interesting reading.

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Taken from 'The Leica Lens Book" by Brian Bower.

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for these! Interesting. Also worth reading

http://www.personal-view.com/faqs/camera-usage/minolta-rokkor-lenses-faq

What is not clear to me is whether Minolta benefitted/got something from Leica ref lenses or whether this was a one way cooperation.

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 5:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Antoine wrote:
Thanks for these! Interesting. Also worth reading

http://www.personal-view.com/faqs/camera-usage/minolta-rokkor-lenses-faq

What is not clear to me is whether Minolta benefitted/got something from Leica ref lenses or whether this was a one way cooperation.

Copal Leitz Shutter, Minolta CL/CLE, and I believe engineering advice on the 'concentric' shutters for their SRT, whatever that means. Supposedly 6/5 Summicron-R 50/2 too. Someone to confirm? Anything else?

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 6:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Teemō wrote:
Anything else?

The black finish on the XD/XD7/XD11 and the CLE was licensed from Leitz:
http://camera-wiki.org/wiki/Minolta_XD_series#Finishes

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks good!
So the 50mm f2 from Minolta would be the 50mm f2 R from Leica?

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Antoine wrote:
Looks good!

I think that this is only a rumor. There is no proof whatsoever.

Nevertheless, especially the MD III version from Minolta is an excellent lens.

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Antoine wrote:
Looks good!

I tried the Summicron-R 2/50. Good lens, but to my eyes, nothing special, certainly not better than other good 50s and not as good as some of the better ones. The Minolta 1.7/50 is a small fraction of the price and at least as good, with a similar rendering.

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tb_a wrote:
Antoine wrote:
Looks good!

I think that this is only a rumor. There is no proof whatsoever.

Nevertheless, especially the MD III version from Minolta is an excellent lens.

The tested performance of an MC-X/MD-I I suppose is merely coincidental. In any case, the design was outdated for Leica at that point.

https://www.l-camera-forum.com/leica-wiki.en/index.php/50mm_f/2_Summicron-R_I

https://www.talkemount.com/threads/50mm-1-2-shootout-minolta-vs-leica-almost-an-upset.7607/

Naturally, the optical blocks are very similar but there are differences. The Leitz first introduced in 1964 and discontinued in 1976 while the first Minolta was introduced in 1973, with a clearly inferior performance. I think if Minolta had the answer straight from Leica, it would have been just as good as their M-Rokkors were! It wasn't until 1981 when they would improve the lens again.

Still, not bad for a 'budget' lens, and at least the contrast/coatings are a bit better. Wink