Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

My custom-made"Nah"Summicron R 35mm & old cars
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 1:59 pm    Post subject: My custom-made"Nah"Summicron R 35mm & old cars Reply with quote

I got this lens 1 year ago from a new member of the forum from Brasil. It was mounted in a very heavy and big aluminium and brass unknown mount. The mount was very well crafted and engraved and had a very long (for the 35 mm. FL) focusing. It was, clearly, intended for some sort of macro/close focus work with a big, unknown camera.
The glass inside was perfect and the serial no. indicates that it is one of late 35 mm Summicron-R II lenses, made in 1985.
I have dismantled the lens and re-mounted the optics and diaphragm in a new and light barrel with a long focusing helicoid. The good part was that the lens itself had the front & rear groups encapsulated together with the diaphragm in a smaller barrel. This way, by keeping untouched the smaller barrel, the alignement of the lens remained perfect.
It was not a simple adaptation but, finally, I'm happy with the result - my custom-made Nah-Summicron R 35mm. with an M39 mount. It can now focus very close and it's a very sharp lens with a lot of character.

The old, unknown mount & barrel and the new, custom-made one:

my custom-made Nah-Summicron R 35mm :

Last Sunday it was organised an Old Cars exhibition in a central square in my home-town, followed by an auction - a good occasion to play a little with my Nah-Summicron 35mm.
The exhibition was quite interesting, with a lot of old cars, military old cars, very old agriculture tractors and historical-related cars.

Here are some of the cars:

100% detail

100% detail

100% detail

100% detail

***** The camera is a Sony A7RII and most photos are f/2-f/4. No color correction or sharpening was aplied in PP. *****

Last edited by dan_ on Mon May 29, 2017 7:25 pm; edited 3 times in total

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great remounting work and perfect results!!!!

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like 1

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent mechnical work as usual and great results you got Dan!!

I have a Nah-Summicron 1:2/50mm myself, came original from Leitz mounted into a special focusing helicoid, but with Leica thread mount.
Serial# is 1956xxx (had to get it, my birth year), so a rather early model.
Here about it: http://forum.mflenses.com/leica-nah-summicron-f2-50mm-does-spring-flowers-t70516.html

PS: really surprised how little CA it has! How much did you stop it down??

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fantastic! I especially like the hubcap photo.

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fantastic... lens looks just as good as the spectacular automobiles.. Like 1

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, gentlemen!
Thank You Dog

kds315* wrote:
Excellent mechnical work as usual and great results you got Dan!!

I have a Nah-Summicron 1:2/50mm myself, came original from Leitz mounted into a special focusing helicoid, but with Leica thread mount.
Serial# is 1956xxx (had to get it, my birth year), so a rather early model.
Here about it: http://forum.mflenses.com/leica-nah-summicron-f2-50mm-does-spring-flowers-t70516.html

PS: really surprised how little CA it has! How much did you stop it down??

Thank you!

Indeed it handles CA surprisingly well. The cloudy daylight could have helped a lot, though.
Generally the close up shots were taken at f/2 - f/2.8, the frontal car shots were f/2.8 - f/4 and the whole-car shots at f/4 - f/5.6.

The lens is very good for detailed portraits, too. Here is a portrait (it is a crop) taken in the same day, turned to B&W and prepared in PP for my Van Dyke Brown printing project (http://forum.mflenses.com/van-dyke-brown-print-t76601.html):

And the 100% detail:

Last edited by dan_ on Mon May 29, 2017 10:50 pm; edited 2 times in total

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

100% detail......Scary Wink

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 2:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, great work and phenomenal results! Very Happy

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you .