Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Overwhelmed by options, trying to buy camera
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 11:10 am    Post subject: Overwhelmed by options, trying to buy camera Reply with quote

I'm overwhelmed with the options for a new camera. I've read reviews and still am overwhelmed. I have a Nikon CoolPix P900 I use to photograph my son playing lacrosse, but it isn't working to photograph my daughter playing indoor volleyball. I routinely use the scene mode, sports, but I'm not getting the image quality I want so looking for a greater fps. But overwhelmed with the choices. I want a great quality shot for indoor volleyball. Not as concerned with video. Price point to around $2000. Help?!

I didn't find the right solution from the Internet.
References: https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/59606601

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would go for a Panasonic Lumix GH4 + lens (as prices have dropped
massively after the GH5 appeared on the market). Video + still quality is great,
has follow focus, so would be great for your intended use.

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Given your budget, my first question for you is "Would you consider a clean used system?"

I ask this question because of personal experience and because, after all, this is a manual focus lens forum. So I will assume that you have at least some interest in using MF lenses. Given this, my choice would be one where I had a good selection of lens mounts that can be used. For a DSLR, the clear choice is Canon EOS. There are some half-dozen mounts or more that can be used on an EOS camera, where infinity focus is retained. 4/3 systems give you even more option at the expense of sensor size -- which is a reason why I'm not a big fan of 4/3 systems. And then there's Sony with the E-mount cameras, such as the NEX and a-series models, which can handle just about any manual focus lens made, provided an adapter is made for it..

I own a Canon DSLR and a Sony NEX 7, both of which are APS-C crop sensor cameras. I like the APS-C format because it has a decent sized sensor and because it gives me extra reach with telephoto lenses. But the main disadvantage when using wide angles is they have lost their abilities to provide wide angle coverage. So really you'll need a lens designed to work with the APS-C camera of your choice.

Now, when it comes to new, AF lenses, things change somewhat. The good thing about Canon crop sensor cameras is you have a great selection of lenses available that can cover from ultra wide all the way out pretty much as far as you would ever need. Unfortunately with Sony's crop sensor cameras, the selection is very limited. So that's a big drawback if you think you'll be wanting to cover wide to ultra wide fields of view using an AF lens. So plus one for Canon.

But! There's also full-frame cameras to think about. And I'll tell you, honestly, if I had $2000 to spend, I'd be looking at a way to buy a full-frame camera with lens for that amount. Once again, the systems I'd consider would be Canon and Sony a-series. Lens availability for the full-frame Canon is outstanding, and for the Sony a-series, it's at least good (assuming AF here as well). But the Sony has it over Canon once again when it comes to using manual focus lenses with adapters.

But given your interests, shooting with a Canon is gonna give you a better selection when it comes to AF, and I would be leaning toward AF to catch the action using any focal length you want or need.

So to stay within budget, I'd be looking at something like a 5D Mk II or possibly a Mk III now that the MK IV has come out. And I'd be looking at the best lens I could afford, like the 24-105 L, for example. And I'd start setting aside funds for a tele zoom, like the 100-400 L. Or, given your interests, go with a good tele zoom and start setting aside funds for a wide-to-tele zoom. But in the mean time, I'd be enjoying the use of MF lenses which are relatively cheap in comparison but which often provide outstanding optical quality.

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 2:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indoors with low light, long slow lens with narrow depth of field, fast action requires fast shutter speed, more depth of field makes focus easier, requiring high iso.

I.e., new camera needs high iso capability.

Alternatively, consider a video camera -- even my cheap HandyCam takes 4K video -- depends on documentation method, spectacular action stills or the big picture, stills cut from video.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 1:02 am    Post subject: Re: Overwhelmed by options, trying to buy camera Reply with quote

victorgrant wrote:
I want a great quality shot for indoor volleyball. Not as concerned with video. Price point to around $2000. Help?!

Sounds like D750 + 70-200 f/4 to me. You'd have to stretch farther for the lens, but at the same time if you find a 80-200 f/2.8D that can work very well for you too. And if you want more reach, tamron teleconverters will solve that prob for you.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Choices!

I don't know, you have to do your research and decide what's best for you. There is a lot of good gear to chose from and I'm sure you will be happy with whatever you decide upon. I for one am never concerned about video options on my DSLR, for some it's a game changer, for me I have dedicated video gear and no need to worry about my camera having top notch video. It's all about your needs. I get by with Pentax DSLR bodies and love them, but that's me, they suite my needs and perform extremely well. I still have my old K10D and a K5IIs, I would like to go full frame now with the K1, but haven't pulled the trigger.

Think about what is important to you, do the research then decide. I'm sure you will make a good decision.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 2:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Overwhelmed by options, trying to buy camera Reply with quote

adley10 wrote:
victorgrant wrote:
I'm overwhelmed with the options for a new camera. I've read reviews and still am overwhelmed. I have a Nikon CoolPix P900 I use to photograph my son playing lacrosse, but it isn't working to photograph my daughter playing indoor volleyball. I routinely use the scene mode, sports, but I'm not getting the image quality I want so looking for a greater fps. But overwhelmed with the choices. I want a great quality shot for indoor volleyball. Not as concerned with video. Price point to around $2000. Help?!

I didn't find the right solution from the Internet.
References: https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/59606601

Hello
Don't get hung up on making sure you've got the "best" or newest in a particular class. The truth is, one camera rarely beats the rest on all four major criteria -- photo quality, performance, features, and design. And last year's (or even the year before's) models tend to be perfectly fine as well as a lot cheaper.

Welcome adley10

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would like to go for canon digital camera which delivers good photos and videos with speed and clarity. It gives quick camera response.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im hoping someone chimes in here with an online spot to find camera gear. Even in town would be alright, looking to get into the DSLR world.

So, where to buy, what to look out for.

Last edited by serion23 on Fri Nov 17, 2017 5:12 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome victorgrant, johnlee112, and serion23

Keh.com

eBay.com

Search internet for camera

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seriously consider some of the latest Fujifilm x cameras, such as the x t2 etcetc