Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Tokina 17mm 3.5 disassemble ?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 2:19 am    Post subject: Tokina 17mm 3.5 disassemble ? Reply with quote

Hi folks,
I scored this nice lens cheaply with a little fungus inside the front element and some haze further back.
Has anyone actually opened one up for a clean?
I would appreciate any tips please.
( I searched here )
cheers
Pete in NZ

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 4:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First, a question. What tools specific to lens repair do you own?

Because you're gonna need the right tools before you begin.

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cooltouch wrote:
First, a question. What tools specific to lens repair do you own?

Because you're gonna need the right tools before you begin.

Thanks Smile
I've got one of these, sets of precision screw drivers and my friend has threatened to lend me various rubber bungs
for the front trim ring.

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good. I don't own a Tokina 17mm, so I'm assuming things here.

First, since you mentioned that there is "stuff" behind the first element, it will need to be removed. Look for a slotted retainer ring around the first element. You'll want to locate the two bladed ends of your lens spanner in the slots of that ring. Then, applying an even pressure on the spanner, unscrew the ring. You need to be very careful when doing this because you don't want the spanner to slip out of the slots because it will mark the front element if this happens.

Once the ring has been removed, the front element will fall out. Make a note or take a pic to indicate which surface is the outer surface because the lens may not be convex on both surfaces. Do whatever cleaning is necessary to it. Also, chances are you'll find another slotted retainer ring behind the front element. This will have to be removed to continue on toward the inner element(s) with more "stuff" on it/them.

Continue in this fashion. That's about all I know to recommend at this point.

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The lens is difficult to work on, i have the Vivitar version, it s not a lens for begginers!

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cooltouch wrote:
Good. I don't own a Tokina 17mm, so I'm assuming things here.

Thanks Michael
My friend called and we got the front and back groups out easily and carefully.
Both groups have several elements screwed in a stack.
Looks like alcohol or nail polish remover will be needed for the obvious glue.
Then some form of clamp like these jobs or maybe I can knock up a couple of tiny strap wrenches...[/img]

The haze and fungus looks pretty minor

Last edited by Transit on Fri May 26, 2017 9:14 am; edited 2 times in total

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tomasg wrote:
The lens is difficult to work on, i have the Vivitar version, it s not a lens for begginers!

Thanks tomasg
God willing we can sort it Smile
cheers

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2019 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am also interested in any tutorial or video showing the disassembly of this lens. Mine has haze and I would like to get rid of.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2019 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I managed servicing this lens. The video is quite long and the framing is so so, 14 minutes but is not cut nor edited.

Hope it will help someone.

The lens is sharp but you need to watch field curvature.

https://youtu.be/MeoQl8hXCzU

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2019 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fantastic thank-you.
You have spurred me into action 😀