Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

What's your favorite walk-around macro?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 1:07 am    Post subject: What's your favorite walk-around macro? Reply with quote

I was wondering what folks favorite walk-around macro lens was. By walk-around I mean one that you slap on the camera and don't worry about bellows or stacking software or ring lights. I left out tripod because even when I am out on a casual walk, i usually have a small lightweight tripod with me (like a Manfroto 290). Also small extension tubes or helical tubes are ok.

At this moment I am very partial to the Super-Multi-Coated 100mm f/4 Macro Takumar with an M42 -> e-mount helical adapter.

Here are some images of some common wildflowers and one infinity shot.

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 1:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really like the Leica R 60, it's sharp at any distance you focus at, so it's great for landscapes, portraits, and macros.

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 2:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My TOKINA AT-X 2.5/90 I like...

http://forum.mflenses.com/tokina-at-x-2-5-90-for-marek-t74511,highlight,%2Btokina.html

Never did try it at infinity though...

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 3:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mir wrote:
My TOKINA AT-X 2.5/90 I like...

Same here . . . The Tokina Bokina is a ~great~ all-around walkabout macro.

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 4:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like 1 small Like 1 small Like 1 small

Well, I use a custom adapted and modified (by me) Zeiss Lamegon reproduction lens...(ultra rare ...) Wink
https://www.flickr.com/photos/kds315/albums/72157638785464625

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 4:14 am    Post subject: Re: What's your favorite walk-around macro? Reply with quote

pdccameras wrote:

At this moment I am very partial to the Super-Multi-Coated 100mm f/4 Macro Takumar with an M42 -> e-mount helical adapter.

I own this same lens, and I like it a lot.

My preference, however, is similar to the other respondents. However, mine is the Tamron SP 90mm f/2.5. If I had to choose a zoom with macro, it would most likely be the Tamron SP 60-300mm f/3.8-5.4, which has a macro ratio of 1:1.55. Its center results are almost as good as the Tamron 90's.

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 5:40 am    Post subject: Re: What's your favorite walk-around macro? Reply with quote

pdccameras wrote:

+1

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 5:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sigma 50/2.8 AF, I use it all the time and everywhere. Embarassed

(I'd buy another one if it was manufactured any more)

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Definitely my Tokina AT-X 90mm f2.5 Macro, although I like the Kiron 105mm f2.8 Macro a lot too.

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mamiya 120/4 macro

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Sorin,are we in danger of seeing some shots with the 50 f4 Preset?? Like 1 small

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey kryss,
Once the rain stops and I have some time off of work I'll be all over it.
Too much work man, too much work.

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I loved Montreal '72-80 most fun and the rain and snow never seemed a problem, rather an excuse for a party..... Wink

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pdccameras.....Very nice shots all of them.I have 2 nice 100mm f4 ones for sale.....anyone?

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting responses! A lot of Tokina AT-X 90 fans (really nice lens, BTW). Klaus' Lamegon and Lightshow's Leica R60 are certainly a little more esoteric, and decidedly high end! Also, not as much variation in response as I would assume, based on the fact every major marque has at least one decent Macro (Minolta, Topcon, Nikon, Konica, Canon) plus Vivitar and Sigma on the third party side. Also no one mentioned a Macro-Kilar, thought we'd get at least one! Wink

Paul

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tamron SP 52BB 90 / 2.5 ....with a good lens hood and the 01F Teleconverter in my pocket is my usual option, then the old Macro Takumar 50 / 4 which is a joy to use, who cares if it's slow - learn to live with it.

Then I go for zooms, firstly the Rokkor bMacro 35-70 / 3.5. The Tamron equivalent is nearly as good as well, as indeed are a bunch of other Tamrons and Vivitars even if they don't go to 1:1.

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 5:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I switch it up a lot, having a soft spot for macro lenses. I had a fortuitous opportunity last winter during an ice storm with the SMC 100/4 that Lloydy mentions. I also use the super tak 50mm f4,Oly 50mm, canon fd 100 /3.5, and 200/4, vivitar series 1 90mm/2.5 bokina, vs1 105/2.8 kiron, yashica ml 50mm f4 and (gasp) the minolta af 100mm 2.8. I really like the m42-nex helical and use it for impromptu macro, was out with the S-M-C pentax 120mm 2.8 today. If I get a chance I will post some pics.

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 5:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1st choice: Tamron 272E SP Di AF 90mm/F2.8 Macro 1:1. Although this lens is designed as AF lens I also use it MF on my Ricoh GXR-M. It's my most versatile macro lens which is really excellent from 1:1 to infinity without any adapter. Optical quality is stunning even when used wide open. Because of the very nice and smooth bokeh it's also a very capable portrait lens.

2nd choice is the lens head from my Leitz Elmar 135mm/F4 mounted on a Visoflex close focus helicoid where it works from macro to infinity.

Just in case I am always equipped with a set of distance rings which convert any lens into a close focus one. Wink

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

canon fd 200mm/4 macro is always with me

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In response to Paul's comments, I agree. I would have expected to see more of a variety as well. Although I see that, from the time I began to write this post, and the time I actually submitted it, a few more have been added. The Tokina surely is heavily liked. One thing I've realized about macro lenses is there probably aren't very many poor ones. I would go so far as to say that most provide excellent results.

I have managed to acquire a decent sampling of macro lenses over the past few years. I own three (yes three!) 55mm f/3.5 Micro Nikkors -- all pre-AI, although one was AI'd by Nikon, one 55mm f/2.8 AIs Micro Nikkor, one 200mm f/4 AIs Micro Nikkor, one Canon 100mm f/4 macro, one SMC Tak M42 100mm f/4 macro, one Vivitar (Kiron) 105mm f/2.5 macro, one Vivitar CF 135mm f/2.8, and one Tamron 90mm f/2.5 macro. It wasn't my intention really to collect this many macro lenses -- it just sorta happened. Almost all of them I acquired because I fell into really good deals on them, and couldn't say "no."And so now I have all these macros and one thing I've realized about them is they all are outstanding performers.

So, yeah, I guess I'm puzzled as to why more different macros haven't been mentioned. Unless the Tokina has achieved such a hegemony over other lenses that there is no longer much competition. It's a fine lens, to be sure, but when it comes to macros, there just isn't that big of a difference between any of them.

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Laowa 60mm Super Macro has been my go-to walkaround macro lens for over 2 years now. I've used many of my other lenses from time to time, but the Laowa always ends up back on the camera for "critical" shooting, and then stays there until the next time I perceive the need for a longer lens.

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Know your tools! Very Happy

Focal length -- longer gives greater working distance.

F/# -- lower minimum number gives easier focusing and faster shutter speed @ lower iso.

Minimum focus distance -- in conjunction with focal length, determine maximum magnification, usually 1:2, sometimes to 1:1.

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

visualopsins wrote:

Minimum focus distance -- in conjunction with focal length, determine maximum magnification, usually 1:2, sometimes to 1:1.

Or even 2:1 Wink

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, so no-one uses the (famous) ZEISS S-Planar 60mm or 100mm?
Or the even more famous CV Apo Lanthar 2.5/125mm ???

I (also) have the Yashica ML 3.5/100mm Macro but haven't used it much,
nearly on par with the Zeiss S-Planar 100mm me thinks.

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tamron 90 sp 2,5 b52 old stile version.
Lovely lens.....!
Compact and sharp, nice focal useful also for portrait .
in my opinion it is a must!
Never go out without.

Best regards