Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

SEMI OLD SCHOOL MACRO
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 1:03 am    Post subject: SEMI OLD SCHOOL MACRO Reply with quote

Ok, I landed a couple Vivitar auto 252 flash's on the cheap. The pair cost me 10.00 USD. Both flashes fire as should and are in decent cosmetic condition (not that looks matter). I need to get the GN number down properly so I can start taking a few notes for macro photography using this flash. My go to flash for macro has always been an old Nikon SB-18. The Nikon is so straight forward and easy to use for this kind of shooting. I like the Vivitar's because they are slightly smaller, but they may be a bit more powerful which I really didn't need.

GN number states 64, I'm thinking more like 45 @ ISO 100, I'm going to give that a go sometime tomorrow and see what numbers I come up with for useful flash at about 2 feet or so, in Manual flash mode. 2 feet should put me around f22, I will most likely open up to f16, I'll need to dial in my speeds and take accurate notes for this old dog. Depending on the extension tubes, I'm thinking 2 feet, perhaps 1.5 will be as close as I get. This will be an experimental journey and very fun, it definitely has motivated me to get out and shoot more.

I'm using my old Pentax K10d for this along with one of those China imported focus rail systems, a couple of short tubes (20mm and I believe the one loaded on my gear now is 30mm), a Pentax Takumar Super Multi Coated 105mm 2.8 lens, a cable release and my old trusty Gossen Luna-Pro F meter. Perhaps a diffuser for the flash head. All old school stuff. I have a flash bracket but I truly wish I had a longer straight bracket than the one I have mounted now. I guess that's my next eBay buy. I'll follow up this post with the numbers I deem usable with this flash plus a few pics. This may take a few days to complete but I will get back with some results.

My set-up for flash:

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 4:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Subscribe

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 4:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

visualopsins wrote:
Subscribe

???????

OK, I just took a closer look. Things are a bit different from when I use to post here daily. I see we have a new server put into play by our subscriptions, unfortunately right now I can not subscribe, but when the funds cross the table I will be sure to do so. I have been visiting this site for somewhere in the neighborhood of 9 years now, I can do my part.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Huh? Subscribed to get thread update notification -- I want to see photos from the rig. Smile

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 3:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

visualopsins wrote:
Huh? Subscribed to get thread update notification -- I want to see photos from the rig. Smile

LMAO! I thought you wanted me to be a paid subscriber to the site.

I took the camera out but I need a longer straight flash bar. I need my flash to sit up about 3 inches higher so I can use my focus rail accurately. I had to move my flash to the side but wasn't happy doing so for the macro work I wanted to do. I will continue experimenting through the weekend and possibly into next week.

Here's a pic from the rig, but flash was turned off, so no working numbers at this point. Wink

I cropped this one just slightly. I seen some ugly dead weed hanging in there that I didn't catch before shooting.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I flipped the rail around for ease of use, also found another L shaped bracket in my stash of camera accessories buried in a box in my closet. Now I think I'll have an easier go of things. I also made sure everything will tighten down secure so I have the least bit of camera shake. I forgot to do that the first day I went out and I had issues with a few bad screws not securing tightly. I also found a really tiny Chinon S-20B flash in my box of old goodies. I think I will give her a go also.

Here's how the new rig stacks up with the old Chinon S-20B attached. (I will still be taking my Vivitar along for calibration also). Please forgive the image. I simply set the gear on my shooting table and tossed a piece of poster board behind it. I used my old Kodak PS Z885 which has it's issue to boot.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, had my gear in the field today. I'm posting some shots with the f stops and speeds used for the Vivitar 252 flash. Also one shot without flash. I was in a semi shady area when these were metered. I need to get parallel to some nice subjects for good 100% focused shots across the frame. Point of focus will be tested also on the next batch. Next test batch I'm going all in.

7:30 am Semi shady area.
Here they are.

@f22 1/40 sec Vivitar 252 Auto flash shot in manual mode.

@f16 1/60 sec

No Flash

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hit a bit of a rainy patch, so I put off the experiment for the time being. I did manage a few numbers for the 252, but I will continue perhaps this coming weekend if time provides.