Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

How large lenses for Fuji X-e1 ?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 7:51 pm    Post subject: How large lenses for Fuji X-e1 ? Reply with quote

I recently purchased this camera and wonder how big of a lens you would recommend using
without a tripod?
Also I curious if i can use a Jupiter 12 35mm lens with no problem?

Thank you.

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure, but better you buy adapters with a tripod foot, so that you can manage using your camera with any big lens on a tripod. Old lenses not always come with a tripod foot, and would not be wise to have a heavy lenses hanging on a small camera like yours while attached on the tripod.
N-

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that advice, I had not seen that type of adapter.
I will try that out.
Hope I can get some opinion about hand held lenses also.

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The old rule of thumb was to use a minimum shutter speed that matched the focal length of the lens, e.g no less than 1/50th second for a 50mm lens, although that varies with the persons own ability to stay steady, or finding ways of making themselves steady - leaning against a tree or lamp post for example.

The above rule is somewhat moot these days with the advent of shake reduction, and you also have to make allowances if you are using a camera with a 'cropped' sensor, when using older glass. For apsc, like the x-e1, it is around 1.6x for example. And of course if you do not have a viewfinder, you have the added problem of holding a camera away from yourself as opposed to against your face which provides more stability.

The x-e1 does not have image stabilisation built in to the body, so when using old glass you have none. But you do have a viewfinder. So the old rule of matching minimum shutter speed to focal length comes back into play. Just remember to multiply the focal length by around 1.6x. So if using an old 50 mm lens, use a minimum shutter speed of 100th of a second to ensure a good percentage of sharp images.

From the above, you should be able to decide what maximum focal length of lens you can hand hold, in exchange for a reduction in shutter speed options.

I hope that is of some help.

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the advice.
I did not explain myself clearly it seems. I am concerned about how big of a lens this
camera can handle without risk of damage when not using a tripod.
Especially a lens attached tripod.

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

uddhava wrote:
Thank you for the advice.
I did not explain myself clearly it seems. I am concerned about how big of a lens this
camera can handle without risk of damage when not using a tripod.
Especially a lens attached tripod.

Looking again, it wasn't you, it was me uddhava. You explained yourself in the post immediately above mine. My bad Embarassed

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are concerned with weight of lens? or safe shutter speed while holding the camera in your hands?
jupiter 12 is very small/light but does it mount on fuji?
I remember it was not working on apsc Nex and m4/3.

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was concerned about the weight because the Fuji seems less
sturdy than my Canon DSLR.

Yes the Jupiter 12 has a protruding rear lens element that I thought might hit the mirror.

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 3:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most lenses under 100mm and slower 135's should be fine, it's really the length of the lens plus the weight at the end of the lens that creates the torque that will cause damage, so I'd use adapters with a tripod foot on longer and faster primes, and also the zooms like a 70-200.
To give you an idea of the forces, take a 50/1.4 and a 70-200, and hold the lens out by the mount between 2 fingers to feel that torque/forces that the lens transmits through the mount, and by extension the tripod mount on the camera.

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you.
Perhaps a small 5.6/200mm might be safe?

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 5:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It will probably be fine, the risk will be higher, there also is another side effect that happens as the focal length gets longer and you mount the camera to the tripod, vibration gets more pronounced, so there are 2 reasons to shift to a mount on the adapter or on the lens it's self.