Home
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Tiny screws in lenses. What sizes & where to get some?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 10:05 am    Post subject: Tiny screws in lenses. What sizes & where to get some? Reply with quote

Hi there,

Don't know about you, but I have a penchant for finding lenses where the tiny srews are missing or the heads are chewed up. I also have a penchant for dropping such screws on the carpet and being unable to find them.

I know that the latter can be cured by setting up my lens dissembly area in a far more ordered manner Smile

But as to the former, I have two real questions.

1) Is there a standard set of sizes used in lenses. e.g. are they metric, or is some sort of numbering standard used, as I believe the watch industry uses.

2) Does anyone know of a source of supply for these tiny screws. What would be ideal for me would be some place which can supply a good assortment and also replenish particular sizes/shapes.

Anyone got any info?

Thanks in advance.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 3:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Tiny screws in lenses. What sizes & where to get som Reply with quote

Hi,

martyn_bannister wrote:

2) Does anyone know of a source of supply for these tiny screws. What would be ideal for me would be some place which can supply a good assortment and also replenish particular sizes/shapes.

http://www.micro-tools.com ...

Cheers

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 4:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Tiny screws in lenses. What sizes & where to get som Reply with quote

indianadinos wrote:
Hi,

martyn_bannister wrote:

http://www.micro-tools.com ...

Cheers

Nirvana! I can spend many happy hours browsing this I can see!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're looking for specifically these types of screws:

Micro-Tools unfortunately does not have them as far as I know. I asked about a year ago.

I've never been able to find a source for them Crying or Very sad

~Marc

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The screws I need are even smaller than those in the photo...

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The screws I need are even smaller than those in the photo...

Well it is a picture of the industar 50. So the lens is quite small to being with. Smile

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have gone off micro-tools anyway. I browsed their US site and they seemed to have no assortments of screws except in a kit for repairing eye glasses. They do, however, have taps and die sets and drill sets at very reasonable prices.

However, I cannot order from the US site for delivery to the UK. When I browsed their German site, not only did they have a very reduced range of taps/dies and drills, the sets they were selling were extremely expensive compared to the US prices. Why is this?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a shot of the size screws I'm needing

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fine Jeweler tools. Fine mechanical watch tools. Finest kit should include drill, tap, & die sets for tiny screws, I think.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As my job is associated with optical glasses, i often use available screws with sizes from 0.8mm up to 1.6mm for replacing them in glasses Smile

Last edited by shauttra on Mon Oct 11, 2010 10:43 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Found THESE on ebay...... No idea of the quality, but will let you know Smile

For normal grub screws, piano wire comes in exact standard sizes which are pretty close to 1, 1.2, 1.4 mm etc. Really needs to be annealed before cutting the thread, but can be hardened and tempered back after cutting.

For set screws with a slotted head, an electric drill, a file and a v slot in a piece of steel should be close enough.

Now philips heads are going to be a lot trickier! Smile

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shauttra wrote:
As my job is associated with optical glasses, i often use available screws with sizes from 0.8mm up to 1.6mm for replacing them in lenses Smile

And where do you get the screws from please?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

martyn_bannister wrote:
shauttra wrote:
As my job is associated with optical glasses, i often use available screws with sizes from 0.8mm up to 1.6mm for replacing them in lenses Smile

we have suplier from France - Technidis
http://www.technidis.eu/site_anglais/sommaire_public.php

but i think you should wisit some nearest optical shop where they have an optical technician.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shauttra wrote:
martyn_bannister wrote:
shauttra wrote:

we have suplier from France - Technidis
http://www.technidis.eu/site_anglais/sommaire_public.php

but i think you should wisit some nearest optical shop where they have an optical technician.

That's a good idea Smile

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Martyn, H S Walsh in Beckenham are the most well-known watchmakers suppliers in UK. They sell various types of watch and clock screws in bulk assortments:
http://www.hswalsh.com/search.aspx?s1=screws&s2=&s3=&f=1&l=10

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

martyn_bannister wrote:
I have gone off micro-tools anyway. I browsed their US site and they seemed to have no assortments of screws except in a kit for repairing eye glasses. They do, however, have taps and die sets and drill sets at very reasonable prices.

However, I cannot order from the US site for delivery to the UK. When I browsed their German site, not only did they have a very reduced range of taps/dies and drills, the sets they were selling were extremely expensive compared to the US prices. Why is this?

Because we've been ripped off for generations, and it's now a way of life. Mad

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Opticians have tiny screws to replace the ones in spectacle frames (when they fall out).

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lloydy wrote:

Because we've been ripped off for generations, and it's now a way of life. Mad

Too true Sad

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excalibur wrote:
Opticians have tiny screws to replace the ones in spectacle frames (when they fall out).

I looked at the link that shauttra posted and the screws for glasses might be the right thread, but don't seem to have the correct heads. Most camera screws are either grub screws (i.e. no head) or set screws with pan heads (either slotted or crosshead).

The link that peterqd posted to H S Walsh seems to have a better chance of success. I will need to plough through the myriad of different packs they offer to see which ones will be best suited. If I get a result I'll be sure to post the link! Smile

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd try your local optical shop and your local watch repair guy. Even if they don't have them to sell they might be able to direct you to a local source you can guy such things from.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got some screws, and tiny springs, to repair a lens off a friend of mine who builds slot racing cars, so the model world offers another choice as well.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I usually make these heads smaller in diameter on fine grain diamond disc, until they fit in thread hole. Yes, i like the fine work Smile

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lloydy wrote:
I got some screws, and tiny springs, to repair a lens off a friend of mine who builds slot racing cars, so the model world offers another choice as well.

I also picked up a couple of packs of assorted micro screws from a radio control model shop - it may be a cheap source.

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.fastenersclearinghouse.com/fch/main.nsf/fSearch?OpenForm&Start=1&type=R&Cat1=PRM7DED642D2914;&Cat2=FL39EA6ECF529;&Cat3=&Cat4=&Cat5=M1&Cat6=&Cat7=
I hope that link works.

A different source
http://www.unisteeltech.com/fasteners/micro-screws.html

I don't know if they have minimums.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2017 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another useful source in the UK for diddy screws and springs.

https://www.prime-miniatures.co.uk/catalog/threaded-rod