Home
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Is it possible to respool 126 cassette?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 5:00 pm    Post subject: Is it possible to respool 126 cassette? Reply with quote

found at local flea market
one could engineer a cassette with 3d printer
but the film perforation is a problem?

why? just for fun and history

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why not? Seems easy to crack the cassette & wind onto 126 spool. Onto 135 reel, yes, sprocket holes could be problem. ..

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IIRC the sprocket holes are a lot less frequent on 126 film. It might be possible to tape over 135 holes to give a similar arrangement (probably best to have slightly longer spacing rather than too short if exactly right isn't practical).

However none of the 126 cameras I remember were remotely worth the effort.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DConvert wrote:

I got as a gift a Kodak from my brother-in-law his late father used in the 1970's. It is mint condition and I'm sort of a Kodak-buff.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 1:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not totally sure but I thought re-spooling 126 cartridges was something Larry spoke about in and around the time he shared the extra Contaflex 126 set with me. In future I may tackle it but its likely to be B&W once my ferania 126 cartridges are gone from the back of my fridge.
If I remember correctly your main issue on re-spooling is that 126 film was paper backed . . . which is how frame numbers were displayed.
The Contaflex 126 we always said was a bit of an enigma since it was advertised as an SLR for the ordinary guy but when the math on price was done it was actually very pricey.
Here is a link to Mr.Butkus' site and the manual for that camera with its interchangeable lenses . . .
http://www.butkus.org/chinon/zeiss_ikon/zeiss_ikon_contaflex_126/zeiss_ikon_contaflex_126.htm

In my opinion there was another jewel in the 126 format . . . the Zeiss Ikon IKOMATICs . It was my late mom's camera directly from Germany. The optics always impressed me - zeiss of course.

Jim

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kansalliskalaCafe wrote:
DConvert wrote:

I got as a gift a Kodak from my brother-in-law his late father used in the 1970's. It is mint condition and I'm sort of a Kodak-buff.

FYI I saw a Vest Pocket Kodak (appeared to be in very good condition) in one of the Charity shops in town today for £40. I struggled to resit, until thoughts of my wife's comments when she found out helped me walk away.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DConvert wrote:
kansalliskalaCafe wrote:
DConvert wrote:

FYI I saw a Vest Pocket Kodak (appeared to be in very good condition) in one of the Charity shops in town today for £40. I struggled to resit, until thoughts of my wife's comments when she found out helped me walk away.

Friends

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's possible. I do know someone who actually did so, just for fun.

Apparently the sprockets aren't a problem, see here: https://www.lomography.nl/magazine/44732-recargando-tu-carrete-de-126-con-pelicula-de-35-mm

There are some cameras that have more manual settings than the usual Instamatic versions, i have one around which i kept for some 126 experiments as well, i still have 3 new film cartridges.