Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

The Cosina MC 55mm f1.2
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 4:26 pm    Post subject: The Cosina MC 55mm f1.2 Reply with quote

Here's another of my very favorite bokeh lenses. This lens has very special bokeh, which is both soft and edgy at the same time. These are still available for a song, as it were, since most attention is focused on the M42 version of the Cosinon (also called the Revuenon, Tominon, Yashinon). This is the Pentax PK mount version, and it is about 1/3 the price, with--to my taste--much nicer bokeh.

I originally ran across this just as an eBay auction was ending and won it for $269. After finding out that it was not the M42 version, which is what I was looking for, I freaked. But as it turns out, this was a lucky stroke of fate.

This lens might have been made by Tominon (I haven't found anyone who really knows), and if you are looking for one you have to be very careful, as there are apparently three PK mount 55mm f1.2 lenses that bear the Cosina name. There is the Porst Color Reflex, and recently I ran across a Cosinon PK mount lens (which might be the Porst rebranded, I don't know). This one, I know, comes branded as Cosina (not Cosinon) and Revuenon. There is one sure way to tell if you are looking at the same lens: It takes a 58mm filter, and all the lenses I have seen (however they are branded) have a diameter symbol (O with a diagonal slash--Greek theta) and 58mm. So if you don't see that all bets are off.

I personally think that this lens rivals the legendary and ridiculously expensive 60mm Konica f1.2 for the Leica--in any case you will get very close for 1/40 the price. While it is not quite so psychedelic as the Aires 4.5cm 1.5, it is gorgeous. Also, it's wicked sharp already at f1.2, albeit with a bit of color fringing. Let other folks fight over the M42 Tominon and go for this baby Wink

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are able to get the best out of your lenses!
Bravo!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Happy Dog

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like 1 Like 1 Like 1 WOW everyone absolutely stunning....I am trying to deplete my collection and then you post these umm...?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kryss wrote:
Like 1 Like 1 Like 1 WOW everyone absolutely stunning....I am trying to deplete my collection and then you post these umm...?

Ditto!!! Tuzki with lens

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Best freaky bokeh ever! Very painterly and used to maximum advantage in most every shot. Great compositions too, but what I like best is the colors the lens gives you. Lovely series, great lens.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 10:43 pm    Post subject: Re: The Cosina MC 55mm f1.2 Reply with quote

kymarto wrote:
Here's another of my very favorite bokeh lenses. This lens has very special bokeh, which is both soft and edgy at the same time. These are still available for a song, as it were, since most attention is focused on the M42 version of the Cosinon (also called the Revuenon, Tominon, Yashinon). This is the Pentax PK mount version, and it is about 1/3 the price, with--to my taste--much nicer bokeh.

I originally ran across this just as an eBay auction was ending and won it for $269. After finding out that it was not the M42 version, which is what I was looking for, I freaked. But as it turns out, this was a lucky stroke of fate.

This lens might have been made by Tominon (I haven't found anyone who really knows), and if you are looking for one you have to be very careful, as there are apparently three PK mount 55mm f1.2 lenses that bear the Cosina name. There is the Porst Color Reflex, and recently I ran across a Cosinon PK mount lens (which might be the Porst rebranded, I don't know). This one, I know, comes branded as Cosina (not Cosinon) and Revuenon. There is one sure way to tell if you are looking at the same lens: It takes a 58mm filter, and all the lenses I have seen (however they are branded) have a diameter symbol (O with a diagonal slash--Greek theta) and 58mm. So if you don't see that all bets are off.

I personally think that this lens rivals the legendary and ridiculously expensive 60mm Konica f1.2 for the Leica--in any case you will get very close for 1/40 the price. While it is not quite so psychedelic as the Aires 4.5cm 1.5, it is gorgeous. Also, it's wicked sharp already at f1.2, albeit with a bit of color fringing. Let other folks fight over the M42 Tominon and go for this baby Wink

Yes, beautiful results and you have created them very well - congratulations, and thank you for sharing them.
I am almost certain that this same lens appears as a Revuenon in PK mount as well.
Mine is below.
It may also be the Porst version but I am not sure of that.
I had always thought that Cosina made the lens, but was never sure - so maybe Tomioka - who knows
If Cosina, then one of Cosina's best lenses from that era for sure.
There is a similar lens made by Fuji which sometimes pops up as a Porst
Tom

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 2:34 am    Post subject: Re: The Cosina MC 55mm f1.2 Reply with quote

Oldhand wrote:
kymarto wrote:

Yes, beautiful results and you have created them very well - congratulations, and thank you for sharing them.
I am almost certain that this same lens appears as a Revuenon in PK mount as well.
Mine is below.
It may also be the Porst version but I am not sure of that.
I had always thought that Cosina made the lens, but was never sure - so maybe Tomioka - who knows
If Cosina, then one of Cosina's best lenses from that era for sure.
There is a similar lens made by Fuji which sometimes pops up as a Porst
Tom

Yes that's it! It's very confusing, because there is also a Cosinon 55mm f1.2 lens which is different. Mine is just marked "Cosina" where yours says "Revuenon". Otherwise everything else is identical except that my rubber focus ring is of a different design.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 2:50 am    Post subject: Re: The Cosina MC 55mm f1.2 Reply with quote

kymarto wrote:

Yes that's it! It's very confusing, because there is also a Cosinon 55mm f1.2 lens which is different. Mine is just marked "Cosina" where yours says "Revuenon". Otherwise everything else is identical except that my rubber focus ring is of a different design.

I forgot to mention that the Revuenon has only full aperture stops - ho half-stops or third-stops
Tom

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 3:13 am    Post subject: Re: The Cosina MC 55mm f1.2 Reply with quote

kymarto wrote:

It might also appear branded as Vivitar Series 1 and Rikenon: http://forum.mflenses.com/viewtopic.php?t=8160

kymarto wrote:

Incredible!
Like 1

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are some images from my Revuenon.
Not as beautifully done as kymarto, but the lens is quite capable.
Tom

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as I know, there are two kind of 55mm f/1.2 available in PK mount.
One is a Cosina design, and can be found as Porst, or as Cosinon S (and maybe other incarnations).
The other is a Tomioka design, probably built by Cosina (or perhaps Tomioka provided the optics and Cosina made the barrel, who knows..). It is available as Cosina (maybe also Cosinon, but with NO S), Revuenon, etc, and it should share the same optical project with the Yashinon.

The rear element is quite different, and allows to tell one optical layout from the other, when in doubt.

I own both, one Revuenon and one Porst. Plus a SMC Pentax f/1.2 50mm.
The Pentax is a recent acquisition, but I can say that from my personal experience the Revuenon is still the reigning queen.
Enough sharpness, great bokeh, and a wonderful overall rendition.
One of those rare lenses that have "something more" Wink

Cheers

Paolo

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well done! The bokeh is magic.

I'm wondering how would it handle a portrait work. Do you have such samples?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beautiful pics! Very unique bokeh indeed. Strikes me as illustrative. I wonder, as another member mentioned, if this is ultimately the same optical design as the rebranded Vivitar Series 1 50/1.2. It's a rarity and being a VS1 enthusiast, it's been on my list. Though I know little about how it actually performs. I always thought Cosina may have made it but don't even recall why I thought that.

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 4:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

y wrote:

I have none at present - a project for the future Smile
Tom

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is a portrait:

K_1_0595 by spaulein, on Flickr

And here another night photo:

K_1_0543 by spaulein, on Flickr

All shot wide open

cheers

Paolo

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is a review of the Rikenon version along with a detailed description and lots of pictures: https://jonasraskphotography.com/2015/02/10/rikenon-55mm-f1-2-review/. There's also an interesting and lengthy discussion in the comments on that page about the manufacturer.

It seems that in all cases, including the Vivitar Series 1 in the thread I linked earlier, this lens was only made in PK mount.

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 5:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

y wrote:

It handles portrait work beautifully.
I shot some portraits this morning with it.
Sharp - very sharp - at wide open, and with that very shallow depth of field that f1.2 offers.
This varies, of course by how far the camera is from the subject.
I will post them when I receive the subjects' permissions to do so.
Hopefully soon
Tom

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 5:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, permission granted for this one.
Thank you Charlie
Shot wide open at f1.2
Tom

Last edited by Oldhand on Wed May 03, 2017 8:01 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK - a second permission has arrived so here is my friend Terry.
Again shot wide open at f1.2
Tom

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like 1 Nice shots Tom,I see, like me you have young friends. Wink

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kryss wrote:
Like 1 Nice shots Tom,I see, like me you have young friends. Wink

Happy Dog Hahahahaha - yes, I hang in select company Smile
We meet every Wednesday morning and have coffee together. There are usually up to eight of us, but there are so many away at the moment that there were only five this morning.
The boys were gracious enough to allow me to take some snaps.
I sent them the shots and asked their permission to publish here.
This is a cracking good lens and worth every penny asked for it. I cannot think of a lens of similar age and specs that performs so well.
Anyhow, it is academic really as I have this one, which I love.
Tom

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like 1 Like 1 Like 1 great shots Tom!

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Klaus.
Here's a shot of my friend Garry.
Same settings - fully open at f1.2
Tom

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wide open appears to give it that smoooooth skin look. Laugh 1