Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Isco Westar and Westanar 2.8/50 lenses
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 6:38 pm    Post subject: Isco Westar and Westanar 2.8/50 lenses Reply with quote

I decided to do a little informal comparison between these two Isco lenses. It struck me when I first received the Westanar that it was not very good - but no matter it was for display on a Praktica FX. I also have two Westar lenses, one which I've used on an Exa and another in M42 that I haven't really used. The Exa one produces good results, noticeably better than what I got out of the Westanar.

Since the Westanar has four elements and is supposed to be better than the Westar I was curious about this. As it happens my particular Westanar is not in mint optical condition - suffering from some light polishing marks on the front element. But my M42 Westar suffers from the same problem so I figure fair enough to compare them. I shot both at f/2.8 where the difference should be most noticeable.

First up the Westanar:

Then the Westar:

My eyes may be deceiving me but the Westar appears sharper at first glance. Neither though is particularly good, at least not in this condition.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a shame - Westanar is such a pretty lens.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It might be condition, as contemporary East German triplets like the Meritar, Trioplan, Domiplan etc. are much better and ISCO would have been competing in roughly the same price bracket.

ISCO are part of Schneider and Schneider lenses are top level. I thought that ISCO basically made Schneider designs but with cheaper materials. I have several Schneider Radionars and they are excellent, among the very finest of triplets. Certainly ISCO made some top level projection lenses.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
It might be condition, as contemporary East German triplets like the Meritar, Trioplan, Domiplan etc. are much better and ISCO would have been competing in roughly the same price bracket.

ISCO are part of Schneider and Schneider lenses are top level. I thought that ISCO basically made Schneider designs but with cheaper materials. I have several Schneider Radionars and they are excellent, among the very finest of triplets. Certainly ISCO made some top level projection lenses.

If you look into it you'll find that ISCO used entirely different formulas from the Schneider lenses. The Westagon for example is an Ultron type, whereas Schneider's equivalent Xenon is a Planar type (6 in 5 groups vs. 6 in four groups respectively). The Westanar is supposed to be a reverse-Tessar type whereas the Xenar is a "normal" Tessar, etc.

After further testing, including on a tripod I find the Westanar and Westar are just about the same in the center at 5.6, but the Westanar never really pulls ahead as expected. Maybe that's why ISCO ended up cutting the lens from their lineup? They continued to offer triplets until the end of production, but the Westanar was axed years before that.

The Westar on my Exa produces nice results on film:
Untitled by berangberang, on Flickr

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

first shots with Westar 50/2.8 (+ Hood from film camera Лада-Ломо)

many Thank to Klaus for this lens.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

second shots with Westar 50\2.8