Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Testing out Tamron 71a
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 9:20 pm    Post subject: Testing out Tamron 71a Reply with quote

Am very curious to see what peoples views are on this 28-200mm AD2 lens

I have just obtained an absolutely mint copy.

Various reports seem to suggest that the lens can be soft- I havent found this to be the case so far. I have found that even with the lens hood it can be prone to lens flare. I have also been surprised at just how saturated the colour can be when using this lens

Attached is an example taken at The Kenbridge Hotel, New Galloway

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 5:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That looks good! Some time ago i bought a Canon EOS film kit, it also contained the AF version of this lens, i passed it on because i have L-zooms but seeing this makes me regret i did not give it a testrun!
I remember someone wrote about the 71A that it has a very short focus throw because it actually was meant to become an AF lens, which can make it hard to nail focus some times.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 10:03 am    Post subject: Another text shot from this lens Reply with quote

Again I am not finding this lens too soft as previous comments have advised on other posts re. this lens on the board.

This shot taken at f11 and 1/125s

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm struggling to find any part of the above image that's in focus, so it's difficult to tell if the lens is sharp.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SonicScot wrote:
I'm struggling to find any part of the above image that's in focus, so it's difficult to tell if the lens is sharp.

Looks like motion blur to me.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TrueLoveOne wrote:
SonicScot wrote:

Looks like motion blur to me.

Like 1 small

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your first picture looks fine to me. I owned the mf version of this lens a few years ago and was never happy with the results I obtained. I was using a Sony NEX5N at that time. Maybe my focusing skills weren't up to scratch but I couldn't obtain an acceptably sharp photo with it.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is one of these very late Tamron AD2 lenses that later became AF. I have one, but it is unusable. A small plastic pin sheared off, which prevents the mount from functioning properly. I'm thinking of trimming up a metal piece as a replacement pin and imbedding it into the mount by heating it up and melting it into place. So, if anyone is thinking about buying one of these lenses, be sure to inspect it and make sure the mount is working correctly. By all accounts, this is a nice lens, and well worth the paltry sums it goes for these days.

Here's an earlier thread about this lens.

http://forum.mflenses.com/tamron-aspherical-28-200mm-f3-5-f5-6-adaptall-2-71a-t38549.html

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://forum.mflenses.com/new-tamron-adaptal-screw-on-mount-hack-t77124.html

There you go Michael Wink

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the same model, 71A. With sufficient light, this lens may be valid. Indoors or in low light, performance goes down considerably. Excessive contrast in many occasions. It is not luminous, suffer aberration, distorted, it is ugly... but it subtracts weight and volume, is very comfortable, versatile, it saves you the worry of the change of lens and be aware of the equipment. If you go too far, with heat, walking, do not hesitate: Put a 28-200 in your life!

Scanned slides

When I travel I do not want more than two kilograms in the backpack or complications that keep me away from my goal, which is fun. That's why I love him.

M4/3 sensor (not editing)

Two problems: You can not focus less than 2 meters with this model. My copy sucks dust around and spreads it over the sensor and it's not funny. That's why I hate him. Sharp? It depends on the circumstances and the limitations of this focal. Sometimes you need to edit. Sure.

FF sensor (with few edition)

This lens does not arouse passions, it is underrated.
Happy shots!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bychance wrote:
http://forum.mflenses.com/new-tamron-adaptal-screw-on-mount-hack-t77124.html

There you go Michael Wink

There I go indeed. Now, why didn't I think of that?