Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Choice and comparison on 300mm lens
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 9:11 am    Post subject: Choice and comparison on 300mm lens Reply with quote

First of all please excuse me if my English is approximate.
I am looking for a 300mm telephoto and after a lot of research I can not make a choice between these last:
- olympus om zuiko 300mm f/4.5
- tamron 300mm adaptall f5.6
- nikkor 300mm ais ed
- super-multi-coated TAKUMAR 300mm f4
- rmc tokina 300mm f5.6
My use would be to photograph wild life And the choice of a soft bokeh will make the difference!. This lens would be mounted on a canon 650d (Taking into account a suitably recessed adapter ring Wink
If you have opinions to give me to direct my choice it would be taken with great pleasure
Thank you for your attention, help me not to drown myself in this wide choice of telephoto.

(The more I discover these wardrobes, the more I am addicted)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the forum Jocelin.
For me the pick of those would be the nikkor 300mm ais ed f4.5
T

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did not ever own one of those.
I would choose the Takumar because it just sounds good.

I dont think Bokeh is much of an issue. With long tele on wildlife and birds, the background is usually totally blurred. Certainly it can still look like dork but the finer distinctions of creamy are lost I think.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I couldn't find the specific thread but I recall a discussion/comparison on good tele lenses here not so long ago. I remember the Canon 300mm F5.6 being an excellent performer and this thread certainly demonstrates it even on a 2x crop sensor: http://forum.mflenses.com/canon-fd-300mm-5-6-t72022,highlight,%2Bcanon+%2B300mm.html

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 11:21 am    Post subject: Choice and comparison on 300mm lens Reply with quote

Oldhand wrote:
T

thanks for your return
I could read in the review of this site that the tamron adapter 300mm f5.6 was optically sharper, what do you think of this?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 11:27 am    Post subject: Choice and comparison on 300mm lens Reply with quote

Teemō wrote:
I couldn't find the specific thread but I recall a discussion/comparison on good tele lenses here not so long ago. I remember the Canon 300mm F5.6 being an excellent performer and this thread certainly demonstrates it even on a 2x crop sensor: http://forum.mflenses.com/canon-fd-300mm-5-6-t72022,highlight,%2Bcanon+%2B300mm.html

If I understood well after reading several subjects that the FD canon was not adaptable on the dslr because loss of optical quality of the lens adaptation ring ... this remains handicaps for the shooting nature

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 11:31 am    Post subject: Re: Choice and comparison on 300mm lens Reply with quote

jocelin wrote:
Oldhand wrote:
T

thanks for your return
I could read in the review of this site that the tamron adapter 300mm f5.6 was optically sharper, what do you think of this?

If that is the one that you would like then go for it.
Try to find images taken by the ones that you like and compare them.
Flickr is a good place to look
Tom

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From your list +1 for Nikkor.
If your list is open and you are not afraid of heavy, weird looking lenses, you might consider Tair 300mm. It is quite sharp, has a nice bokeh (lots of blades) and the prices are resonable.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bonjour jocelin

300mm f5.6? IMO there are a large number of lenses that are broadly quite similar in performance, including the tamron adaptalls (3 variants), tokinas (tokina rmc/hoya/mitsuki etc etc), some smaller differences in specification, handling. I would like to give the tamron adaptall SP 54B 300mm f5.6 a bigger thumbs up as the best one, but really it's only a bit sharper IMO, costs a lot more and is prone to fringing. It does have the best close focus capability however.
Takumars IMO are overpriced for what they offer.
Meyer or Pentacon 300mm f4's offer lots of quality for the ~ 100€ +/- they can be acquired for, and have detachable mounts for eg modding to suit nikon, but being made for large format camera (pentacon 6x6) there is a big size and weight penalty aspect.

For best resolution .. +1 for the tair 300mm f4.5. The Tair 3A with swappable t-mount is probably the most practical one to get.
If you are using a mirrorless camera (update - canon dslr so no good) then definitely give priority to original canon lenses to use with a FD adapter. 300mm f4 "L" 's are not common and tend to go for a premium price, however the non-L version is highly recommendable and much cheaper, and as already mentioned the 300mm f5.6's are probably equal to or better than the non-OEM 300mm f5.6's like the tamrons.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you don't mind preset lenses, you can try the cheap Soligors 350mm 5.6.
I have the Tamron version (serial number starts with T) as well as Komine (i think, serial number starts with H) version. Both are sharp on my 600D and 5DIII if used carefully.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 2:40 pm    Post subject: Choice and comparison on 300mm lens Reply with quote

marcusBMG wrote:
Bonjour jocelin

300mm f5.6? IMO there are a large number of lenses that are broadly quite similar in performance, including the tamron adaptalls (3 variants), tokinas (tokina rmc/hoya/mitsuki etc etc), some smaller differences in specification, handling. I would like to give the tamron adaptall SP 54B 300mm f5.6 a bigger thumbs up as the best one, but really it's only a bit sharper IMO, costs a lot more and is prone to fringing. It does have the best close focus capability however.
Takumars IMO are overpriced for what they offer.
Meyer or Pentacon 300mm f4's offer lots of quality for the ~ 100€ +/- they can be acquired for, and have detachable mounts for eg modding to suit nikon, but being made for large format camera (pentacon 6x6) there is a big size and weight penalty aspect.

For best resolution .. +1 for the tair 300mm f4.5. The Tair 3A with swappable t-mount is probably the most practical one to get.
If you are using a mirrorless camera (update - canon dslr so no good) then definitely give priority to original canon lenses to use with a FD adapter. 300mm f4 "L" 's are not common and tend to go for a premium price, however the non-L version is highly recommendable and much cheaper, and as already mentioned the 300mm f5.6's are probably equal to or better than the non-OEM 300mm f5.6's like the tamrons.

Thanks marcusBMG for all these specifications it helps me a lot in my future choices

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't actually have it but I hear excellent things about Tair 300mm 4.5. Many claim it is the sharpest in this class. It is also very purchased at reasonable price. Around 100 USD.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 3:55 pm    Post subject: Choice and comparison on 300mm lens Reply with quote

jamaeolus wrote:
I don't actually have it but I hear excellent things about Tair 300mm 4.5. Many claim it is the sharpest in this class. It is also very purchased at reasonable price. Around 100 USD.

Yes, I'm doing research about it, it seems to me really interesting, by cons is a real war machine with the weight that goes with

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I have the Tamron version (serial number starts with T) as well as Komine (i think, serial number starts with H) version. Both are sharp on my 600D and 5DIII if used carefully.

Aye, +1 for the tamron made preset t-mount lenses from the 1960's (often sold as soligors as dualmp says). More info here - click "t-mount lenses".

I don't recommend the generic t-mount preset 300mm or 400mm lenses sold under many different names. If you get a good one the resolution can be good, but they all have very far close focus, and too many of them suffer from hazed rear elements.

PS for wildlife - prefer 400mm! The tokina made 400mm f6.3's are recommendable:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/userreviews/tokina-rmc-400mm-f63.html

https://www.pentaxforums.com/userreviews/minetar-400mm-actually-425mm-f6-3.html

and for me the pick of vintage MF options is the tamron 400mm f6.9

https://www.pentaxforums.com/userreviews/tamron-quotnestarquot-400mm-f69-preset-t-mount.html

But you may prefer to spend rather more on eg a sigma x-500mm zoom....

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know it's a zoom, but don't overlook the Tokina AT-K 100-300 f/4 too. It's damn good. Like 1 small

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are many 300mm f5.6 mirror lens. OK, cannot change the f 5.6 but with ISO tuning, they can cover a lot of luminosity sittuation.
Of course, there is the donut bokey issue but on the other hand they are very coompact.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 8:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Choice and comparison on 300mm lens Reply with quote

jocelin wrote:
I am looking for a 300mm telephoto and after a lot of research I can not make a choice between these last:
- nikkor 300mm ais ed
- rmc tokina 300mm f5.6
My use would be to photograph wild life And the choice of a soft bokeh will make the difference!. This lens would be mounted on a canon 650d (Taking into account a suitably recessed adapter ring Wink
If you have opinions to give me to direct my choice it would be taken with great pleasure
Thank you for your attention, help me not to drown myself in this wide choice of telephoto.

(The more I discover these wardrobes, the more I am addicted)

The first four lenses you list are all excellent IMO. And the RMC Tokina is a good lens, too.

The 300 I want right now is the Konica Hexanon, an amazing lens but not suitable for your camera body.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Tair is sharp and very good, but so heavy. The Tamron SP 670AU 300 / 5.6 is also very good, but so much lighter and easier to use it has a big advantage over the Tair when used hand held. On a tripod, the Tair might be sharper than the Tamron - but I wouldn't bet on it. I've got the Tair in both versions and the Photosniper has an advantage over the conventional lens, but the Tamron is my choice of 300mm lens every time. 670AU lenses are cheap and fairly common as well. ( I've got two, might sell one )

I also have a Chinon 300 5.6 which is possibly a Tamron made lens, and that's lighter that the 670AU, and possibly equally as good. It's a bit of a sleeper I think, but I've never tested all three against each other.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jocelin wrote:
- nikkor 300mm ais ed
- rmc tokina 300mm f5.6
My use would be to photograph wild life And the choice of a soft bokeh will make the difference!. This lens would be mounted on a canon 650d (Taking into account a suitably recessed adapter ring

I think that any lens lens from 150mm over benefits greatly from low dispertion (ED) elements. So my advice would be to pick any lens with ED glass within your budget. Lenses with special glass elements were top of the line and they all have very good optical quality.

If you shop around a little, you should be able to buy a manual focus Nikon AI with ED glass for a good price, as long as you don't look for a superfast telephoto. Canon FD lenses are great bargains too, but you won't be able to mount them on your 650d.

Cheers!

Abbazz