Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Minolta MD Zoom 28-70mm/F3.5-4.8 Macro
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 12:48 pm    Post subject: Minolta MD Zoom 28-70mm/F3.5-4.8 Macro Reply with quote

Yesterday my wife found a Minolta X-300 with the kit lens MD Zoom 28-70mm/F3.5-4.8 Macro for 10 Euro on a flea marked nearby. This camera/lens combination has been sold until the MF line of Minolta was terminated in the second half of the 1990's. It is unlikely that Minolta has produced the lens themselves. I assume that it was rather produced by Tamron or alike.

However, I gave it a try and was rather surprised about the image quality it is able to produce, at least on my APS-C Ricoh GXR-M.

Here are some example shots all made at fully open aperture; i.e. at the worst quality level. Only exposure was corrected during conversion from RAW into JPG. No sharpening or other tweaks have been applied. Just resized for presentation:

28mm:

50mm:

70mm:

Macro 1:4:

Picture of the lens:

As I didn't find anything about this lens at this forum or e.g. on Artaphot I thought it might be interesting at least for some of you.

Stopped down to F8 the pictures are razor sharp from edge to edge.

Cheers,

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do have the lens - as well as others from the same generation - but i did not think anyone would be interested ... Wink

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevemark wrote:
I do have the lens - as well as others from the same generation - but i did not think anyone would be interested ... Wink

You're right. I wasn't interested as well as the 3rd party zoom lenses in the Minolta AF line are mostly lemons. However, this lens was a big surprise for me and for 10 Euro incl. camera it was worth a try. Maybe there are others as well. Did you try your other MD Zooms already?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tb_a wrote:

... Did you try your other MD Zooms already?

Of course i tried many other MD zooms - or are you talking about the "MD-IIIa" zooms in Dennis Lohmanns lens list?
Out of the MD-IIIa i have the 28-70mm and the 70-300mm. The 4.5-5.8/70-300mm is quite weak at the corners, but i didn't test it extensively. I suspect that also the MD-III 5.6/100-300mm is not a genuine Minolta - its characteristics are so different from other Minolta zooms such as the 28-85, the 35-105 II and the 70-210 (much less contrast).

Stephan

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevemark wrote:
tb_a wrote:

... Did you try your other MD Zooms already?

Of course i tried many other MD zooms - or are you talking about the "MD-IIIa" zooms in Dennis Lohmanns lens list?
Out of the MD-IIIa i have the 28-70mm and the 70-300mm. The 4.5-5.8/70-300mm is quite weak at the corners, but i didn't test it extensively. I suspect that also the MD-III 5.6/100-300mm is not a genuine Minolta - its characteristics are so different from other Minolta zooms such as the 28-85, the 35-105 II and the 70-210 (much less contrast).

Stephan

Indeed I meant the MD-IIIa third party stuff. Maybe the 70-300 is good enough for APS-C. However, I don't need it anyway. Wink

The 28-70 is at least more than usable as a "walk around" lens on APS-C.

Here are some "real life" examples from my today's dog walk:

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Their were three possible manufacturers for this lens, Tokina, Tamron, and Cosina.
I thought the most likely builder was Cosina, as did some other Minolta collectors.
I believe Red Bailey listed it and the other lenses in this series as Cosina made.

I had two threads on this lens, but sadly when I tested it I only had a Canon EOS 10D. I never had much luck with that cam.

http://forum.mflenses.com/minolta-cosina-versus-minolta-leica-t43330,highlight,%2Bcosina.html

http://forum.mflenses.com/minolta-cosina-28-70-3-5-4-8-t41917,highlight,%2Bcosina.html

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

walter g wrote:
Their were three possible manufacturers for this lens, Tokina, Tamron, and Cosina.
I thought the most likely builder was Cosina, as did some other Minolta collectors.
I believe Red Bailey listed it and the other lenses in this series as Cosina made.

I had two threads on this lens, but sadly when I tested it I only had a Canon EOS 10D. I never had much luck with that cam.

Maybe it's made by Cosina. I don't know and actually it doesn't really matter. The cheap and rather crappy plastic zooms of the Minolta AF line have been made by Tamron. Therefore I thought about Tamron in this case as well.
However, it seems to be a decent lens and it's usable at least on APS-C.
Cosina is definitely able to produce very good lenses. I like their Voigtlaender RF line very much.

Thanks for the links. I didn't find your postings before.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 5:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That little plastic lens was a surprise for me as well. I used to have one in Pentax mount, branded as Petri, used it on a Pentax ME. It did give some really good shots!
I was always under the impression it's a Cosina, and it is known under many different brand names.
I picked up this Soligor, i think it is the same, even though it has different f/stop markings, but that has been done before by some for marketing reasons. It's an MD mount lens for the Minolta X-300 clone by Soligor, the SR300md, it's unused. I have the Minolta version as well, but that is mainly here from a collector's point of view as well.

Soligor S/M 28-70mm by René Maly, on Flickr