Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Vivitar Super-Zoom 28-200 by Kobori
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 8:25 am    Post subject: Vivitar Super-Zoom 28-200 by Kobori Reply with quote

We have just returned from a road trip south.
Inspired by Ian I took my Vivitar 28-200 by Kobori and managed to take a few snaps.
A range of subject matter as you will see.
OH

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nothing wrong with that Tom, a good lens for sure.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

+1, no-one would ever guess you used a 30 year old third party superzoom. There is some real dimensionality going on, such as in #3.

There's a ton of these Koboris in ebay, mostly as Vivitars, grab one while they are still cheap as dirt! Smile

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks fellas.
Here are a couple more.
If you are wondering about the images of the bearded hockey player - it is my youngest son Very Happy
OH

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How does this lens compare with the tamron 26A 35-200mm?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your son looks like a fine figure of a man! Smile

Never tried the Tamron or any other superzoom, always thought they were not worth it, but I saw other people's positive comments abut this one, discovered I had one in the back of my cupboard, tried it, found it was very good, certainly a lens worth having. They usually sell for a fiver or so on ebay, often less than that and there are lots of them, it must have sold well back in the 70s/80s.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just found one in my box of stuff for sale, I shall have to get it out and reassess it. I seem to remember it's a good lens, but I just have so many zooms in that range I thought it could go.
I don't think I've tried it on the NEX, but on the K10 I used it a lot.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
Your son looks like a fine figure of a man! Smile

Never tried the Tamron or any other superzoom, always thought they were not worth it, but I saw other people's positive comments abut this one, discovered I had one in the back of my cupboard, tried it, found it was very good, certainly a lens worth having. They usually sell for a fiver or so on ebay, often less than that and there are lots of them, it must have sold well back in the 70s/80s.

Haha thanks Ian - he's quite a sportsman.
We took his grandmother to see him play on Saturday - a great family outing.
The lens is surprisingly good. I mentioned in your thread that I tested it against the Tokina and Cosina versions of the same Vivitar, and it was a clear winner over them. It really needs a hood but to find one that will accommodate 28-200 is a problem so I have to be careful where I point it. Filter thread is 72mm.
As you can see - the definition and colour are quite good.
ISO 640 in these shots BTW.
Cheers
OH

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've used one and posted the images here, it was a Miranda, but identical to the Vivitar which got a bit broken when I dropped it. I recently acquired another, a Vivitar this time, and I bought an old Sigma, Nikon AF zoom the same 28-200 which is useful but not as sharp. Good contrast though.

I use mine for video, now I have the A6000, its brilliant, no changing lenses

so this is your lad is it, the one with the beard. Oldhand, you must be old!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 2:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

philslizzy wrote:
I've used one and posted the images here, it was a Miranda, but identical to the Vivitar which got a bit broken when I dropped it. I recently acquired another, a Vivitar this time, and I bought an old Sigma, Nikon AF zoom the same 28-200 which is useful but not as sharp. Good contrast though.

I use mine for video, now I have the A6000, its brilliant, no changing lenses

so this is your lad is it, the one with the beard. Oldhand, you must be old!

Yeah - that's him.
I was going to play too but I left my stick at home Very Happy

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just in case this thread gets read again - thought that I had better set the record straight as my humour is sometimes lost on non-Australians Smile
This is my son referred to above, and not the older gentleman in the green shirt.
I am not that old hahaha
T

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And I've just looked on my list, I sold this excellent lens for £20. Someone got a bargain. Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lloydy wrote:
And I've just looked on my list, I sold this excellent lens for �20. Someone got a bargain. Rolling Eyes

Yes, an excellent lens for sure.
Strange how good lenses like this keep their low price tags because they are an "unknown" brand. Buyers will shell out more money on a brand that they recognise even if the lens itself is ordinary in its performance.
And now for some double entendre:
Image is everything
T

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice shots! Like 1 small

Beautiful kitty! Smile

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just picked up Vivitar 28-200 for £7.50 on 'Bay.Clean as a whistle,still has a gold sticker on it.But,oh Dear,no infinity at the wide end,in fact at 28mm it doesn't focus on anything! I have to Unwind it from the adapter for about 2 turns,guess I will get the cardboard and a pair of scissors out. Serial begins with 099.

EDIT: With apologies,it is in fact a 28mm-210mm 3.5-5.6 macro.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eddie46 wrote:
Just picked up Vivitar 28-200 for £7.50 on 'Bay.Clean as a whistle,still has a gold sticker on it.But,oh Dear,no infinity at the wide end,in fact at 28mm it doesn't focus on anything! I have to Unwind it from the adapter for about 2 turns,guess I will get the cardboard and a pair of scissors out. Serial begins with 099.

That is disappointing.
Serial O99 for Vivitar is usually attributed to Cosina.
Kobori lenses for Vivitar seem to have the serials 77XXXX
Cheers
Tom

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have had trouble using both the cosina made 28-210mm and the kobori made 28-200mm, with adapters on my mirrorless cameras. I started a thread about it actually:

http://forum.mflenses.com/classic-vivitar-superzooms-review-28-210mm-and-28-200mm-t69878,highlight,%2Bvivitar.html

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have,I think,sorted my 28-210.With a bit of tinkering. The platform that the Mounting attaches too can be adjusted by removing two screws.It is actually threaded onto the end of the Barrel,and locked in place by the two screws.
Unwinding the platform by one full turn seems to have done the trick.

Using a cardboard spacer convinced me that this was necessary if possible.

If needed I can post some pics and a better description.There is a minor Gotcha as far as the auto aperture mechanism is concerned,but that didnt bother me,i simply removed it.

Try a cardboard washer/spacer about 1mm thick first to see if this gets you infinity etc.Insert between lens and Adapter.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had some time in the garden today.
Here are a couple of images from the Vivitar Kobori.
The first is a native dahlia which will flower in the next week - can't wait for the beautiful lavender colours.
The second is an agave - I have attempted to emulate Brett Weston with its image.
Tom

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I owned one quite some time ago. It was my walk about lens for a good while back then. Covers a needed range for nature walks. A pretty good lens.