Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Tamron 60-300 3.8-5.4 Lens Support?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 10:21 pm    Post subject: Tamron 60-300 3.8-5.4 Lens Support? Reply with quote

Hi there,

I've got a pretty good copy of the Tamron 60-300 3.8-5.4, but except for a couple of useless rough test I did right away, I didn't use the lens at all as I don't have the lens support.
I wasn't expecting to be such a hard thing to find!
So far, I couldn't find much.

Is there a lens support for another brand that can be used with the Tamron?

Thanks for any help!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I made my own version of this type of support for my long lenses, but I'm an engineer and made something to suit my needs rather than bolt together parts.
The principle of mine is exactly the same though and relies on the lens resting on two small nylon pads that are adjustable for different diameter lenses. And I find it works OK with lenses where the moving focus ring rests on the pads, even push - pull Tamron's with the rubber grip.

I'll take a picture of mine tomorrow, I can't get at it at the moment. But this was my inspiration.

http://www.scvphotoideas.com/2012/09/create-heavy-duty-long-lens-support.html

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tamron made this tripod mount for the adaptall series, it fits specifically the SP 300mm f5.6 and several of the two-ring zooms. It crops up intermittently on the s/h market, not expensive.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/userreviews/tamron-adaptall-lens-tripod-grip-ring.html

This can also be mounted, with a bit of packing (necessary to avoid the foot interfering with the zoom ring), in front of the aperture ring on both the 23A and the 19AH 70-210mm and provide considerable utility because both of these lenses zoom in pushing the zoom out, so you just lose a proportion of the zoom range at the short focal lengths.
I personally use the generic 65/66mm ID tripod mount rings from China, these are usually described as for canon 70-200mm. Unmodded/without packing they fit almost exactly round the back end of zoom/focus ring of the 23A when using the lens in macro/close focus mode. The 23A lens barrel is about 62mm OD. I mod mine to fit there like this:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/114-maintenance-repair-articles/238879-modding-chinese-other-tripod-mounts-fit-eg-adaptall-lenses.html

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you both for your help.

marcusBMG: so, it seems I can buy the Canon 66m tripod mount and then I need to mod as you shown on pentaxforums. Most likely, in my case the tripod mount will stay on the lens all the time. That seems like a great solution. Thanks!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recently bought this lens as well, also without a tripod mount. I must say that i did not miss it at all! It handles nicely on the A7 and all handheld shots came out perfect!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

23A, pentax K5, modded tripod mount and monopod, 300mm f8. I try to avoid hand holding at 300mm up, experience proves that except in favourable conditions ie bright light giving fast shutter speeds, just too many or even all bad results. Of course I may just be rubbish at hand holding...

click on the pic for better resolution