Home
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Nikkor-S 50/1.4 helicoid grease
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 7:01 pm    Post subject: Nikkor-S 50/1.4 helicoid grease Reply with quote

I'm repairing old Nikkor-S 50/1.4, it's first time I'm working with helicoids. I cleaned it all up, I even managed to get rid of all the fungus. I bought some graphite grease for the helicoid, but it was too damp, so I've decided to clean it all again and I reassembled it without grease for now. But the focus ring is still kinda hard to turn, compared to my Nikkor-S 35/2.8. Is there a grease that would loosen it up even more than it is now, without a grease? (I do not use it now, I put it all together without a grease so I dont loose anything, so there is no need to remind me that I should use some kind of lubrication for helicoid)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are other people on this forum much more knowledgeable than me, but I would assume that this grease would do your job well.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/271194713421?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2017 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Without grease Nikkor-s should spin like a ball bearing. You either have left some grime in the helicoid threads or did not put it back together correctly.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gardener wrote:
Without grease Nikkor-s should spin like a ball bearing. You either have left some grime in the helicoid threads or did not put it back together correctly.

That's exactly why I'm asking. I have Nikkor S 35/2.8 and Q135/2.8 and they turn so easily. With this Nikkor S however..I reassembled it back together correctly, that's what I'm sure about. I took a lot of photos when I was taking it apart and I followed it when I was putting it together, everything fits perfectly. And there is no grease left. Helimax is not gonna make it easier to turn, is it?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does it make a sound? Focus limiter is a pretty snug fit and can rub against the barrel rim. Another possible culprit is focus guide - people at times neglect to clean it and both it and the guide slot are usually covered in solidified grease. When I put helicoids together I always make sure that each pair turns to my satisfaction before making the final assembly. I don't use expensive helicoid grease - the regular NLGI 2 white lithium does a great job for this lens.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chernobog wrote:
Gardener wrote:

That's exactly why I'm asking. I have Nikkor S 35/2.8 and Q135/2.8 and they turn so easily. With this Nikkor S however..I reassembled it back together correctly, that's what I'm sure about. I took a lot of photos when I was taking it apart and I followed it when I was putting it together, everything fits perfectly. And there is no grease left. Helimax is not gonna make it easier to turn, is it?

I was able to repair a stuck alu tamron helicoid only by performing several cycles of industrial grade ultrasound machine cleaning.

After some it started turning,then some cycles more, a little improvement each time until it turned freely (it was a very bad case).

I guess that with a couple cycles in a serious ultra-sound cleaner should suffice.

Lenses shouldn't be in though, ultra-sound cleaning may damage the glue keeping together groups, and also could damage coating.

I tried cleaning tamron lenses in a home ultra-sound machine, single lenses came out almost good but a doublet became opacized with no turning back.

So use ultra-sound only on aluminium or other metal. Paint didn't suffer in my case .