Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Carl Zeiss Jena white MC versions
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 8:19 pm    Post subject: Carl Zeiss Jena white MC versions Reply with quote

Hello everyone,

I've been thinking about various versions of CZJ lenses, namely Flektogon, Pancolar and Sonnar. I've seen different versions of these, where the most common was the red MC version, like these:
Red MC CZJ Pancolar 50/1.8
Red MC CZJ Flektogon 35/2.4
Red MC CZJ Sonnar 135/3.5

However, lately I've stumbled upon some 'white MC' versions of Flektogon 35/2.4 and Pancolar 50/1.8, which also differ in font (looks kinda like Courier New):
White MC CZJ Flektogon 35/2.4
White MC CZJ Pancolar 50/1.8

After some quick research, it seems these are newer than the 'red MC' versions, and also Pancolar 80/1.8 comes only as 'white MC'.

I have following questions:
1. Do 'white MC' and 'red MC' versions differ in optical (coatings etc.) or build quality? Which ones are preferred?
2. Does CZJ Sonnar 135/3.5 has its 'white MC' version? I could not find any besides 'red MC' and old 'zebra' versions.

Cheers!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think only aesthetic difference. I prefer white MC since engraved whereas RED MC looks kinda cheap.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I feel exactly the opposite, I find the red letters more appealing and the white letters version cheaper looking Smile.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll take mine in blue please! Laugh 1

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 9:26 am    Post subject: Jena MC versions Reply with quote

If the different markings signify changes in coating and not merely adaptation to different markets or temporary supply changes, it would be useful to have lens numbers and photos of the coatings. My Zeiss Jena 80\1.8 has the white MC markings and is in the 10 ... ... number range.

p.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 6:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Jena MC versions Reply with quote

paulhofseth wrote:
If the different markings signify changes in coating and not merely adaptation to different markets or temporary supply changes, it would be useful to have lens numbers and photos of the coatings. My Zeiss Jena 80\1.8 has the white MC markings and is in the 10 ... ... number range.

p.

Ever since the CZJ lenses of the 1970s and 1980s became popular for use on DSLRs, there has been debate on the differences in photographic quality, if any, between the lenses with differences in the lettering of their markings. Most agree nowadays that the photographic quality remained similar irrespective of the markings.Very little is known about differences in marking corresponding to changes in lens multicoating.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

newst wrote:
Like 1

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

newst wrote:
Like 1

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a lot of Sonnars 3,5/135 mm. and pancolars 1,8/50 mm with both, the red and the white MC letters.

The change is in the coated, but not because the different colors, but the change that came with the time.

The white MC was born because the economy that was instaled in the industry.

Not another reason.

Look at the pancolars 1,8/50:

MC in red, the lenses were (my copies)

1-yellowed, needed UV treatment.
2- The coated with warm tonalities.
3- green fringes at infinity (Long. CA)

MC in white

1- not needed UV, not yellowed

2- The coated had cold (blue) tonalities