Home
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

best lens+camera combo lineup
View previous topic :: View next topic  


PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2019 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm enjoying this thread a lot. Nice collection.

This may be a minor hijack, and I apologize for that, but I'm curious how batteries fit into the scheme of these old cameras. Some of them don't take batteries at all, apparently, but many of them do. Are the ones that take batteries still usable without batteries, or are batteries absolutely necessary for them to function?

I ask because I sometimes give away old Ricoh TLS's to my friends for their children to use and learn, and they ask me questions about the batteries and I don't really know for sure.

Do you have any intention of getting into older Prakticas or Exaktas? Just curious.


PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2019 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KEO wrote:
I'm curious how batteries fit into the scheme of these old cameras. Some of them don't take batteries at all, apparently, but many of them do. Are the ones that take batteries still usable without batteries, or are batteries absolutely necessary for them to function?


For the purpose of this question, film cameras came in basically three "flavours" :

1) Those which relied on using a separate hand-held meter to establish the exposure. Totally mechanical, no batteries at all.

2) Those which had a built-in meter. Some early cameras had selenium meters (think Zenit E or Olympus 'Trip') which required no battery, others needed a battery to operate the meter. Many of these batteries were mercury based and are no longer available. These cameras were otherwise totally mechanical and could mostly be used with a hand-held meter, as (1)

3) Those which were partially or totally electronic with an electronically controlled shutter. Some may have a single mechanical speed and possibly "B" that didn't need a battery, otherwise the camera was totally battery dependant. Later cameras in this class even rely on a battery for film wind and rewind (and can be a pain if the battery dies whilst rewinding the film!)

Inevitably there may be some cameras that don't quite fit in these broad descriptions, but I think they cover most scenarios. Hope this helps Smile


PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2019 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kypfer wrote:
KEO wrote:
I'm curious how batteries fit into the scheme of these old cameras. Some of them don't take batteries at all, apparently, but many of them do. Are the ones that take batteries still usable without batteries, or are batteries absolutely necessary for them to function?


For the purpose of this question, film cameras came in basically three "flavours" :

1) Those which relied on using a separate hand-held meter to establish the exposure. Totally mechanical, no batteries at all.

2) Those which had a built-in meter. Some early cameras had selenium meters (think Zenit E or Olympus 'Trip') which required no battery, others needed a battery to operate the meter. Many of these batteries were mercury based and are no longer available. These cameras were otherwise totally mechanical and could mostly be used with a hand-held meter, as (1)

3) Those which were partially or totally electronic with an electronically controlled shutter. Some may have a single mechanical speed and possibly "B" that didn't need a battery, otherwise the camera was totally battery dependant. Later cameras in this class even rely on a battery for film wind and rewind (and can be a pain if the battery dies whilst rewinding the film!)

Inevitably there may be some cameras that don't quite fit in these broad descriptions, but I think they cover most scenarios. Hope this helps Smile


I would add the following:

1+) fully mechanical cameras without built-in metering system, but with a dedicated light meter such as the Minolta SR-3 shown below (the light meter is coupling with the camera!):



3+) those cameras using a combined mechanical / electronic shutter. The shorter mechanical speeds are working without battery, the longer speeds (usually 1/60 ... 30 s) are controlled electronically.
Examples are the Canon EF and new F-1 as well as the Pentax LX:


Stephan


PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2019 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thank you for suggestions and support!

I'll write now a new list so in 2 years I'll be back to see how I'm doing Idea
I expanded to newer cameras that have some electronic, as I really liked my LX and XD7 and it felt right to include others similar!

so far I don't have interest in older cameras (exakta for example) as I use these cameras to take pictures and I don't want to be tooo much an effort to nail the picture haha

about the absence of Nikon: my girlfriend has a FM2 in exc conditions and I used it and it's a really really nice camera, would love to expand the serie but...
...Nikons are expensive! I set a rule about price to buy, and it has to be under 150€ camera+lens. as maximum, so normally it's much much lower...
F , F2 and F3 are much more expensive now, lenses as well... so for the moment they can stay in other's shelves...

and looks like all the sweet deals in Switzerland goes to Steve Wink



List:

Canon: newF1, FTb+some lenses
Contax: 139+60 macro
Fujica: STX1 and AX5 + 85mm and 50 1.2, maybe the famous 35 1.9
Konica: Auto-Reflex + 85mm and 57 1.2
Minolta: SR2, SRT303b, XK+ 85mm, 17mm and 35 1.8
Olympus: OM3, OM4+28 f2, longer macro
Pentax: ES, ES2, K2dmd+ 30mm, 85mm, 50 macro
Rolleiflex: SL35M and holy grail SL350
Topcon: REsuper in silver
Yashica: some m42 + FR, FRII (don't like very much the fx3, had it and sold it, too plastic)

expanding interest in Mamiya and Miranda


PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2019 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mmoro wrote:

...
...Nikons are expensive! I set a rule about price to buy, and it has to be under 150€ camera+lens. as maximum, so normally it's much much lower...
F , F2 and F3 are much more expensive now, lenses as well...


I got my Nikon F recently for less than CHF 80.--, including a Nikkor 2/50mm. Not "like new", as you can see here, but hey - i guess she has seen quite a lot in her life!



The F3 was in the CHF 180.-- range, though - including the Motor drive. If you take tha camera alone, and if you're a bit flexible (add a cheap plastic 35-70 Nikkor), you might even be able to get a F3 Wink

S


PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2019 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kypfer wrote:
For the purpose of this question, film cameras came in basically three "flavours" :


Thanks so much (and stevemark too) for the information! That clears up the basics nicely.

mmoro wrote:
Nikons are expensive!


Generally, they are yes. But if you know what you're looking for, you're willing to be patient, and you're willing to hunt, you can still get them at a good price. I've picked up a couple that way because I wanted the lenses.

You don't have any Yashicas either, I notice... Smile


PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2019 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KEO wrote:
mmoro wrote:
Nikons are expensive!


Generally, they are yes. But if you know what you're looking for, you're willing to be patient, and you're willing to hunt, you can still get them at a good price. ...


Exactly Wink - this morning i got a wonderful Nikon FE2 on a local flea market - CHF 30.-- (about USD/EUR 30.--) for the body only (the right camera on this image). The lens was from another collector, for free (sometimes i get some stuff for free - either from people who like and use the artaphot site, or from people who simply want to get rid of their old useless equipment).

Maybe two years ago, in a local charity shop, I had bought an equally nice Nikon FE, fully equipped with MD-12 Motor Drive and an Ai Nikkor 2.8/24mm, for a mere CHF 40.-- (the left camera on the image below).





Of course, specifically searching for a certain camera is much more difficult than simply "taking what is offered". I usually prefer letting fortuna decide what will arrive next ...

Stephan


Last edited by stevemark on Sun Sep 01, 2019 11:32 am; edited 1 time in total


PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2019 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevemark wrote:
Maybe two years ago, in a local charity shop, I had bought an equally nice Nikon FE, fully equipped with MD-12 Motor Drive and an Ai Nikkor 2.8/24mm, for a mere CHF 40.-- (the right camera on the image below).


Nice! That strap has got some value, too. People like the old yellow or maroon Nikon straps.


PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2019 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KEO wrote:

Nice! That strap has got some value, too. People like the old yellow or maroon Nikon straps.


Interesting to know (i'm not that much into straps) ... but it looks nice for sure!

I really like the "new" FE-2 - very well built, small, a clean and minimalistic design, 1/4000s and TTL flash metering, large viewfinder ... I guess both the FM-2 and the FA may be joining soon Wink

S