Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

28mm and mid-40mm lenses to match Russians
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2016 2:02 pm    Post subject: 28mm and mid-40mm lenses to match Russians Reply with quote

Hi guys,
First post on this forum - reaching out for some intel from you knowledgable folk.

I'm looking for two lenses - 28mm and 40-48mm (just shy of 50mm) - to match several longer Russian lenses I use for video work, in particular Helios 44-2 58mm, Jupiter-9 85mm and Tair-11A 135mm.
I'm looking to replicate their characteristics -

- Mid/low contrast
- Beautiful, golden flare; flares quite easily
- Warm, rich colour rendering
- Centre sharpness with acceptable corners, but not razor sharp edge-to-edge
- Smooth bokeh
- Fast-ish
- Good build quality
- Ideally in M42 mount, but open to any suggestions

I know the above features generally aren't sought-after for stills, but that 'Russian' look can be beautiful for video.
The challenge is finding 2 suitable lenses in these focal lengths.

I look forward to hearing your thoughts...

Thanks kindly,
Ewan

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2016 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The MIR-1 would fit the bill perfectly, but it's a 37mm lens so it may not make your cut.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2016 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The MIR 1B is a classic lens, very sharp and has all the qualities you're looking for - except it's not 28mm.

If you want a very sharp 28 / 3.5 with nice character, try the Takumar. They are common and cheap enough, and I think fairly easy to de-click.

I'm guessing you'd like to stick to M42 ? So another good 28 that I have is the Chinon Auto Reflex 28 / 2.8. It's possibly not as sharp as the Takumar, but that doesn't make it a bad lens, and it's another common and cheap lens.

And don't forget the classic Vivitar 28 / 2.8, which again is common, cheap and remarkably good.

Avoid the Japanese made Carl Zeiss Jena 28 / 2.8, it's tempting - but rubbish.

EDIT.
I forgot this gem....the Vivitar Series 1. VMC. 28 / 1.9. These are harder to find, more expensive, but so damn good.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2016 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lloydy wrote:
The MIR 1B is a classic lens, very sharp and has all the qualities you're looking for - except it's not 28mm.

If you want a very sharp 28 / 3.5 with nice character, try the Takumar. They are common and cheap enough, and I think fairly easy to de-click.

I'm guessing you'd like to stick to M42 ? So another good 28 that I have is the Chinon Auto Reflex 28 / 2.8. It's possibly not as sharp as the Takumar, but that doesn't make it a bad lens, and it's another common and cheap lens.

And don't forget the classic Vivitar 28 / 2.8, which again is common, cheap and remarkably good.

Avoid the Japanese made Carl Zeiss Jena 28 / 2.8, it's tempting - but rubbish.

EDIT.
I forgot this gem....the Vivitar Series 1. VMC. 28 / 1.9. These are harder to find, more expensive, but so damn good.

Good thoughts from Lloyd.
I will also add the Meyer Lydith 3.5/30 which, I think, might fit your needs nicely.
OH

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2016 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The older Hexanon 3.5/28, a truly superb lens, I say older one because you want flare and the older ones have single coating and do flare quite a bit.

Then there's the Hexanon 2.8/35, which is probably even better, again an older one with single coating.

Neither is M42 though.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Geez, totally forgot I never replied to you guys, sorry!
Thanks so much for your feedback - very much appreciated.

Mir-1B purchased and I love it. Now just to tick the 28mm box...

Suggestions are all great, however, I'd like something at least f2.8 and yeh, M42 mount would really suit my other lenses.
Therefore, not sure if the Hexanon or Meyer Lydith would suit, and Takumar is probably a touch too sharp to match.

The 2 Vivitar options sound pretty interesting though.
Anyone got further info on their 'look'? Is the Series-1 worth the extra $$?
Are they suitable for cine-modding?

Thanks heaps,
Ewan

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about the Vivitar 28mm f2.5 M42?
Anyone have experience with this lens?

Thanks!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

EwanD wrote:
What about the Vivitar 28mm f2.5 M42?
Anyone have experience with this lens?

Thanks!

there is an early 8 blade preset version with clickless aperture in t-mount. it would be perfect for filming
i think. and you will have good bokeh, flare, mid/low contrast.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/planetgroove/24499319581

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 4:24 am    Post subject: Re: 28mm and mid-40mm lenses to match Russians Reply with quote

EwanD wrote:
Hi guys,
First post on this forum - reaching out for some intel from you knowledgable folk.

I'm looking for two lenses - 28mm and 40-48mm (just shy of 50mm) - to match several longer Russian lenses I use for video work, in particular Helios 44-2 58mm, Jupiter-9 85mm and Tair-11A 135mm.
I'm looking to replicate their characteristics -

- Mid/low contrast
- Beautiful, golden flare; flares quite easily
- Warm, rich colour rendering
- Centre sharpness with acceptable corners, but not razor sharp edge-to-edge
- Smooth bokeh
- Fast-ish
- Good build quality
- Ideally in M42 mount, but open to any suggestions

I know the above features generally aren't sought-after for stills, but that 'Russian' look can be beautiful for video.
The challenge is finding 2 suitable lenses in these focal lengths.

I look forward to hearing your thoughts...

Thanks kindly,
Ewan

Fast-ish = f2.8
Pentacon 29/2.8 or Carl Zeiss Jena P 29/2.8 (not the 28/2.8 licensed Japanese version- blue writing near mount). http://forum.mflenses.com/pentacon-29mm-f2-8-m42-sony-a7r-36mp-big-files-t75103.html
Mir 10a 28/3.5 (Mir 10M)
Auto-Revuenon 28/3.5
ENNA Lithagon 28mm f/3.5

Mir 24M 35/2 http://forum.mflenses.com/mc-mir-24-n-or-m-35mm-f-2-t74639.html

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know the russian lenses you mentioned, but i know the German originals from where the russian lenses were copied. While the original Biotar 5.8cm 1:2 at f2 is a rather low-performing lens (especially in the corners), the 85mm 1:2 and 135mm 1:4 Sonnars are quite sharp even in todays standards. So your request is slightly confusing me Wink

However, if you want a 28mm 1:2.8 lens that resembles the Biotar (and probably also the Helios 44-2), you might look into early (1965-1975) third party 28mm lenses (the lenses from OEM were quite sharp right from the beginning).

Recently i got a Tokina 2.8/28mm (this one: http://allphotolenses.com/lenses/item/c_634.html ) which has much more flare and distinctively more corner problems than the typical 1965 Minolta/Canon/Nikon 28mm lens. It might be what you are looking for, since it is not "unsharp", but "low contrast" and with lots of astigmatism.

The 28mm Rokkors are summarized here:
http://artaphot.ch/minolta-sr/objektiv-vergleiche/506-minolta-mc-md-28mm-lenses-on-24mp-full-frame

Stephan

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vivitar Series 1. VMC. 28 / 1.9. Sharp, fast and great character.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 5:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are a number of 40mm lenses which would fit the bill: Schneider Isogon, Steinheil Cassaron, CZJ Tessar, I think there's a Meyer 40mm lens too, but I can't recall the name at the moment. I think they're all preset or fully manual aperture lenses.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lloydy wrote:

I support that proposal!

Mos6502 wrote:
There are a number of 40mm lenses which would fit the bill: Schneider Isogon, Steinheil Cassaron, CZJ Tessar, I think there's a Meyer 40mm lens too, but I can't recall the name at the moment. I think they're all preset or fully manual aperture lenses.

unfortunately all rather slow Wink

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 2:00 pm    Post subject: Re: 28mm and mid-40mm lenses to match Russians Reply with quote

Quote:

Fast-ish = f2.8
Pentacon 29/2.8 or Carl Zeiss Jena P 29/2.8 (not the 28/2.8 licensed Japanese version- blue writing near mount). http://forum.mflenses.com/pentacon-29mm-f2-8-m42-sony-a7r-36mp-big-files-t75103.html
Mir 10a 28/3.5 (Mir 10M)
Auto-Revuenon 28/3.5
ENNA Lithagon 28mm f/3.5
Mir 24M 35/2 http://forum.mflenses.com/mc-mir-24-n-or-m-35mm-f-2-t74639.html

I don't know the russian lenses you mentioned, but i know the German originals from where the russian lenses were copied. While the original Biotar 5.8cm 1:2 at f2 is a rather low-performing lens (especially in the corners), the 85mm 1:2 and 135mm 1:4 Sonnars are quite sharp even in todays standards. So your request is slightly confusing me Wink
However, if you want a 28mm 1:2.8 lens that resembles the Biotar (and probably also the Helios 44-2), you might look into early (1965-1975) third party 28mm lenses (the lenses from OEM were quite sharp right from the beginning).
Recently i got a Tokina 2.8/28mm (this one: http://allphotolenses.com/lenses/item/c_634.html ) which has much more flare and distinctively more corner problems than the typical 1965 Minolta/Canon/Nikon 28mm lens. It might be what you are looking for, since it is not "unsharp", but "low contrast" and with lots of astigmatism.
The 28mm Rokkors are summarized here:
http://artaphot.ch/minolta-sr/objektiv-vergleiche/506-minolta-mc-md-28mm-lenses-on-24mp-full-frame

[/quote]

Hi guys,
Thanks again to all of you for your advice - you're legends!

After a bunch of research and tests, I'm thinking the Vivitar Series-1 VMC 28mm f1.9 is the lens I'm looking for, now just to find one in M42 mount.

Anyone out there willing to part with theirs?? Smile

Thanks again!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

no, not me for sure, I keep my 1.9/28mm Wink