Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Smartphone as medium / large format digital back
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 10:41 am    Post subject: Smartphone as medium / large format digital back Reply with quote

I'd like to find DIY projects not expensive Kickstarter products (two exist). Did anyone tried it? Smartphone DOF adapter mod. or something to make use of medium format lenses
on Smartphone? In case of shooting focussing screen of large format camera any cool ideas?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Simply photographing the ground glass should be relatively easy but IMO doesn't give a very impressive shot. The through the viewfinder technique can occasionally be worth a try.
I've only done it once (with a DSLR & a medium format camera):
Dedham church TTV by Mike Kanssen, on Flickr

IIRC there was a Flickr group on this where discussions on 'gizmos' to link the cameras could be found

Arranging a phone holder to support the phone at the same distance to allow multiple images to be taken & stitched together could be done but I think a better job would be to use a camera without a lens.

I don't have plans available but at some point intend to rig something along those lines for my 5x4 camera. It will probably be a long wait.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you are not in hurry you could attach a small scanner there? some with power from usb like canon lides so you could power it from a laptop

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kansalliskala wrote:
if you are not in hurry you could attach a small scanner there? some with power from usb like canon lides so you could power it from a laptop

Well that is what I was going to say... Laughing

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are quite a few scanner camera projects about, and most I think use the Canon Lide.

http://golembewski.awardspace.com/

https://petapixel.com/2014/12/29/medium-format-camera-made-using-parts-epson-scanner/