Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Tomioka Slipped Away! :/ I HATE eBay!
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 4:03 am    Post subject: Tomioka Slipped Away! :/ I HATE eBay! Reply with quote

I had a chance to win this tonight at an insanely good price:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/112346634763?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

I've been waiting for years for something like this to come down the pipeline and then in the final last minute when I went to place my max bid the Spinning Wheel of Death just kept on spinning until the auction ended and it didn't go through.

Everything else on my system worked in other browsers but what a loss! I feel like crying!

Nate

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

already happen to me. the page load load and the action ended before it finish my bidding ...

search on google for "ebay sniper" , there are tools to bid at the last secondes.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It wasn't meant to be for you, if it was, you would have won it Wink
There will be better coming....

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't shoot the messenger (eBay) but Apple, who invented that annoying spinning wheel of death. Wink

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Happened to me when I found a black Trioplan 100mm in very good condition, Exakta mount, that sold for $17. Damn I was pissed.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm very leery every time an almost no feedback seller sells a high value item. You may receive a piece of brick.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to hear. I know the feeling! I've even gotten paranoid to the point of having my phone and my computer set up, ready to bid, and placing two close bids, at the same time in case one fails, when I really really want something. I'm not sure if that means I have a problem or what. But I definitely know your pain!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys, it's nice to have some affinity and empathy for how I was feeling. I kept tabs on this auction for a week and I literally started trying to bid at the last minute, and everything literally failed. The feeling of wasted time was the biggest piece of crap.

Nate

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Himself wrote:
I'm very leery every time an almost no feedback seller sells a high value item. You may receive a piece of brick.

I agree but the seller sent me his personal info and his photography site. He also answered all my questions about the lens promptly and so I was willing to take the chance under buyers protection! PayPal holds the finds on new sellers until the item arrives, so it's pretty scam-proof for the buyer in my book!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kds315* wrote:
It wasn't meant to be for you, if it was, you would have won it Wink
There will be better coming....

Yes. I bought mine last year for a bargain.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.gixen.com/index.php

only occasion this snafu'ed was when I hadn't realised that for some reason the (UK) auction was priced in $, so my bid was assumed to be $ whereas I was thinking in £...

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the trick is to bid as much as your willing to pay,not try to get a 'steal'.! It works for me,Several times I have bid my £20 and won for less than £10.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I work it one way or the other. If I REALLY want something I bid such that I am within a few dollars of a BIN item that is very similar. The way I figure it I MAY get a bargain if I don't win it I figure the market has spoken and I buy the BIN item instead. Or if it seems no on has noticed the item though I will try the snipe it method. I do get all setup at the 1 minute mark or so and have my bid in just waiting the final confirm which I usually try to do at the 10 second mark. Sometimes it works sometimes not. I also have had issues with "snipe it" bids not registering quick enough.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To piss you off even more, I've won the similar one for €200 along with some crappy long Revuenon lens and some garbage grade accessories Very Happy a couple of months ago... I am sure there will be more opportunities... Best luck Very Happy

Anyway, this may very well be the time for the first essential rule:
NEVER BID LAST SEC ON ITEM YOU REALLY DAMN WANT, DEFINITELY NOT FROM A CRAPPY CELLPHONE (or make at least synchronized double bidding with your PC)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OP, forum rules wisely forbid direct insults.

I think you've already been given directions to at least one sniping engine in this discussion. Here http://hammersnipe.auctionstealer.com/home.cfm is another that has worked very well for me.

It offers three free snipes per week. Try it, you might like it.

With sniping, either you get the item you want for no more than the most you're willing to pay or someone who's willing to pay more gets it. Simple as pie.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You don't know the other guy didn't bid $1000 at the last minute. All you see is the second highest bid plus a bit, and yours might still have been the second highest.