Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Zoom When Turning Focus Ring
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2020 5:34 pm    Post subject: Zoom When Turning Focus Ring Reply with quote

Hi Everyone:

I have a Sony A7riii. I have two lenses which seem to elicit different reactions with the same camera. When I turn the focus ring of the Voigtlander 40mm f/1.2 Nokton for Sony E mount, the camera shows me a zoomed in view. This is a really helpful focus aid for this manual lens. On the other hand, when I turn the focus ring of the MS-Optical Sonnetar 73mm for M mounts with an adapter to my camera's E-mount, there is no zoom happening. Is this because the Voigtlander has a dedicated E-mount, whereas the MS-Optical requires an adapter, and therefore has only limited communication with the camera? I was wondering if i bought the Techart PRO Autofocus Adapter whether the zoom function would kick in for the MS-Optical Sonnetar? Thanks for any suggestions.

-Charles

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2020 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes that's why it works for the one lens.
On the Techart there's still no info reaching the camera to say you're playing with the focus so no zoomed view.
The Techart will fine tune the focus for you (by moving the lens), for short focal length lenses the movement is enough to give a normal focusing range, but you'll have to get telephotos nearly right first.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2020 7:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Zoom When Turning Focus Ring Reply with quote

charley5 wrote:
Hi Everyone:

I was wondering if i bought the Techart PRO Autofocus Adapter whether the zoom function would kick in for the MS-Optical Sonnetar? Thanks for any suggestions.

-Charles

I'm using the Techart Pro for all my MF-Lenses on my A7R II. It's a helpful improvement and helps a lot. However, for some lenses you have to assist a little bit and prefocus manually for the correct distance range as was mentioned before already.
Nevertheless it's very reliable and fast and reduces the MFD additionally. I like it very much.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2020 8:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Zoom When Turning Focus Ring Reply with quote

charley5 wrote:
Hi Everyone:

I have a Sony A7riii. I have two lenses which seem to elicit different reactions with the same camera. When I turn the focus ring of the Voigtlander 40mm f/1.2 Nokton for Sony E mount, the camera shows me a zoomed in view. This is a really helpful focus aid for this manual lens. On the other hand, when I turn the focus ring of the MS-Optical Sonnetar 73mm for M mounts with an adapter to my camera's E-mount, there is no zoom happening. Is this because the Voigtlander has a dedicated E-mount, whereas the MS-Optical requires an adapter, and therefore has only limited communication with the camera? I was wondering if i bought the Techart PRO Autofocus Adapter whether the zoom function would kick in for the MS-Optical Sonnetar? Thanks for any suggestions.

-Charles

on the A6* and A7 series you can assign that focus-assist mode to one of the programmable C buttons, i put it next to the shutter button myself but some folks prefer to have it on the back of the camera.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2020 3:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DConvert wrote:
Yes that's why it works for the one lens.
On the Techart there's still no info reaching the camera to say you're playing with the focus so no zoomed view.
The Techart will fine tune the focus for you (by moving the lens), for short focal length lenses the movement is enough to give a normal focusing range, but you'll have to get telephotos nearly right first.

Thanks. I think I will get it then.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2020 3:43 am    Post subject: Re: Zoom When Turning Focus Ring Reply with quote

tb_a wrote:
charley5 wrote:
Hi Everyone:

I was wondering if i bought the Techart PRO Autofocus Adapter whether the zoom function would kick in for the MS-Optical Sonnetar? Thanks for any suggestions.

-Charles

I'm using the Techart Pro for all my MF-Lenses on my A7R II. It's a helpful improvement and helps a lot. However, for some lenses you have to assist a little bit and prefocus manually for the correct distance range as was mentioned before already.
Nevertheless it's very reliable and fast and reduces the MFD additionally. I like it very much.

Thomas, I shall definitely get it then.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2020 3:45 am    Post subject: Re: Zoom When Turning Focus Ring Reply with quote

benadamx wrote:
charley5 wrote:
Hi Everyone:

-Charles

on the A6* and A7 series you can assign that focus-assist mode to one of the programmable C buttons, i put it next to the shutter button myself but some folks prefer to have it on the back of the camera.

Yes, that is exactly what I wanted to hear. How can you put it on the shutter button? Which setting programs zoom for manual focus assist? Thanks!!!

Thanks!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2020 4:53 am    Post subject: Re: Zoom When Turning Focus Ring Reply with quote

benadamx wrote:

charley5 wrote:

Yes, that is exactly what I wanted to hear. How can you put it on the shutter button? Which setting programs zoom for manual focus assist? Thanks!!!

On the A7R II it's by default on the C2 button which is next to the shutter button. It's not possible to put it on the shutter button itself.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2020 12:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Zoom When Turning Focus Ring Reply with quote

tb_a wrote:
benadamx wrote:

charley5 wrote:

On the A7R II it's by default on the C2 button which is next to the shutter button. It's not possible to put it on the shutter button itself.

Right, so i programmed it to the c2 button, which is great. The only downside is that it does not revert back to native 1x magnification when I half press on the shutter. Any way to do that?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2020 1:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Zoom When Turning Focus Ring Reply with quote

charley5 wrote:
Right, so i programmed it to the c2 button, which is great. The only downside is that it does not revert back to native 1x magnification when I half press on the shutter. Any way to do that?

On my A7R II it works as follows:

Press C2: The magnification frame appears and may be positioned.
Press C2 again: The content of the frame is expanded to the whole screen.
Half-press shutter: Magnification disappears and it switches back to normal view.

That's the normal behaviour of the factory settings without any modification or any programming action.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2020 1:13 am    Post subject: Re: Zoom When Turning Focus Ring Reply with quote

tb_a wrote:
charley5 wrote:

On my A7R II it works as follows:

Press C2: The magnification frame appears and may be positioned.
Press C2 again: The content of the frame is expanded to the whole screen.
Half-press shutter: Magnification disappears and it switches back to normal view.

That's the normal behaviour of the factory settings without any modification or any programming action.

Thomas, yes that is exactly the sequence for me as well. I am just wondering whether my portrait subjects will have the patience to wait while I go through these steps.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2020 2:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dynamic portraits may require a different tool, when camera Kung Fu prove insufficient.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2020 2:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

visualopsins wrote:
Dynamic portraits may require a different tool, when camera Kung Fu prove insufficient.

It's sort of an in-between situation. I ask people on the street to pose for me. I figure I will get quicker and more adept at going through the paces. People are generally patient, but there may be a few who are not. Hopefully the results from this lens will be worth it.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2020 4:30 am    Post subject: Re: Zoom When Turning Focus Ring Reply with quote

charley5 wrote:

Thomas, yes that is exactly the sequence for me as well. I am just wondering whether my portrait subjects will have the patience to wait while I go through these steps.

That's why I'm using the Techart PRO instead and don't buy any E-mount lenses with manual focus which aren't usable on the Techart adapter; i.e. all my Voigtlaender lenses are in LM mount only.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2020 5:55 am    Post subject: Re: Zoom When Turning Focus Ring Reply with quote

tb_a wrote:
charley5 wrote:

That's why I'm using the Techart PRO instead and don't buy any E-mount lenses with manual focus which aren't usable on the Techart adapter; i.e. all my Voigtlaender lenses are in LM mount only.

Thomas, makes perfect sense. My Voigtlaender unfortunately is for Sony mounts. But i think my future ones will take this into consideration.