Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Canon SX20 to mirrorless
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 6:07 pm    Post subject: Canon SX20 to mirrorless Reply with quote

Anyone tried to remove the lens of a bridge camera and put instead any interchangeable mount? I remember I have an old good Canon SX20... Think to hack to mirrorless hm... It has a good fully articulated LCD and not so bad sensor. SX20 has a manual focus mode, if nothing else helps, I can enlarge the lens connection and separate from the camera without really disconect it. Not a problem, because it will be powered with remote battery, as I power up everything I have with these batteries. (I converted 2 YN600RT flashes, and have the DC-DC boards for my DSLRs too). The batteries are NP 950 8000mAh and very long lasting

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 10:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Canon SX20 to mirrorless Reply with quote

baychlen wrote:
Anyone tried to remove the lens of a bridge camera and put instead any interchangeable mount? I remember I have an old good Canon SX20... Think to hack to mirrorless hm... It has a good fully articulated LCD and not so bad sensor. SX20 has a manual focus mode, if nothing else helps, I can enlarge the lens connection and separate from the camera without really disconect it. Not a problem, because it will be powered with remote battery, as I power up everything I have with these batteries. (I converted 2 YN600RT flashes, and have the DC-DC boards for my DSLRs too). The batteries are NP 950 8000mAh and very long lasting

The only problem is the firmware: how would you override the error that will happen when the camera firmware's would try to open the lens and focus?. You would have to supply signals to the motherboard. Not an easy task.

A more easy approach would be to locate all the electronics and mechanics of a mirrorless camera inside the body of a classical film SLR or TLR. I've thought about this for long time. Still to be done...

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SX20 has a manual focus mode, no fucus confirm needed. The lens itself will not be disconnected, just separated with cables and placed in the box of the power unit. I suppose there is a sensor checking the mechanical funccionality of the lens. When I return home will check what can be done. Im not much into the fine electronics, if I see I cannot do, will try to not break and re-assemble.

The idea is not to save money from buying camera, an used 550D is 200EU on ebay. Just I cannot find in Google others doing this, so I want to be the first. I once broke a LED projector, trying to make a photographic flash LCD GOBO... I succeed to convert, but accidently cut some ribbon cables and all gone.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You will have a crop factor like 5?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

baychlen wrote:
SX20 has a manual focus mode, no fucus confirm needed. The lens itself will not be disconnected, just separated with cables and placed in the box of the power unit. I suppose there is a sensor checking the mechanical funccionality of the lens. When I return home will check what can be done. Im not much into the fine electronics, if I see I cannot do, will try to not break and re-assemble.

The idea is not to save money from buying camera, an used 550D is 200EU on ebay. Just I cannot find in Google others doing this, so I want to be the first. I once broke a LED projector, trying to make a photographic flash LCD GOBO... I succeed to convert, but accidently cut some ribbon cables and all gone.

Good luck, keep us posted please.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gracias Sr. vivo en Lleida yo.

Well I unscrewed all possible and applied force, but the damn thing is idiot-proof... I just cannot separate the outer parts. I put all back and will keep the camera for shooting video at home (airbrushing, youtubing, red wine drinking).

P.S. I believed if this was possible, I can use a focal reducer to obtain some more bokeh than the usual.

Cheerz!