Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Carl Zeiss BIOTAR 50/1.4 converted to Sony E + A7R
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 9:44 am    Post subject: Carl Zeiss BIOTAR 50/1.4 converted to Sony E + A7R Reply with quote

Carl Zeiss BIOTAR 50/1.4. It comes from Pentaflex 16 camera, I converted it to Sony E mount:

In a word - it's smashing, amongst 2 or 3 my favorite lenses ever. It's sharp wide open and renders intense swirly bokeh effect.
Sony A7R, all samples wide open, no post-processing besides resizing. It almost cover entire full-frame sensor...

... so I cropped only a bit:

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pic #7 is a corker. Did you warm it up with a skylight filter chudy?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, I guess it's some Auto White Balance deviation.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

chudy128314 wrote:
No, I guess it's some Auto White Balance deviation.

I know you'd already said there was nothing added, but I had to ask. I'm impressed.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've get used to manipulate a bit AWB mechanism of A7R. I have no will to set white balance manually so if I see that photo is too cold I'm pointing towards "cold" sky, camera recalculates and when I'm back on the object WB is often warmer.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

chudy128314 wrote:
I've get used to manipulate a bit AWB mechanism of A7R. I have no will to set white balance manually so if I see that photo is too cold I'm pointing towards "cold" sky, camera recalculates and when I'm back on the object WB is often warmer.

I have a Biotar 58/2.0. I've gotten into the habit of just leaving a 1A Skylight on it to warm it up a little and it seems to help with contrast. It comes off if I want to go the other way. It doesn't look like the 1.4 needs that kind of help. Now I want one Smile .

I also see the lens has focusing aids (wings). I have them on my fixed lens Minolta Hi-Matics and I miss them when I'm using other lenses.

Last edited by Sciolist on Fri Mar 31, 2017 11:09 am; edited 2 times in total

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's an obligatory lens, just like Trioplan 50/2.9 Smile.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just realised your A7R is on vivid. I feel a little better about my 2.0 now. Just a little Wink

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, it was Vivid. By the way, where did you find this info? Sometimes when I forget I want to check what were the settings and I can't find them in EXIF.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chudy128314 wrote:
Yes, it was Vivid. By the way, where did you find this info? Sometimes when I forget I want to check what were the settings and I can't find them in EXIF.

+1 on contrast and sharpness too. (Just so I remember - it produces a nice look).

I'll PM you chudy.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice conversion, can you provide some details of the conversion? Thanks.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

At first dedicated aluminum ring of proper length and diameter were made on lathe, then I used M39-E adapter after some processing on lathe.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chudy128314 wrote:
At first dedicated aluminum ring of proper length and diameter were made on lathe, then I used M39-E adapter after some processing on lathe.

Yes, easy in principle, if you have the proper back focal distance of the lens, which is sometimes tricky to find out. JUst had that today coming from my mechanic, had to make three rings and three tests to get it correct Wink

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know that pain, I have a lot washers. But luckily when I'm around I'm able to apply corrections while lathe is working. It needs a lot of trials and errors, theoretical anticipations are usually useless when it comes to practice Smile.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 2:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

chudy128314 wrote:
I know that pain, I have a lot washers. But luckily when I'm around I'm able to apply corrections while lathe is working. It needs a lot of trials and errors, theoretical anticipations are usually useless when it comes to practice Smile.

This lens is definitely on my wish list, but there are really expensive and rare Sad

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The cheapest way is to hunt down broken Pentaflex 16 movie camera, this Biotar is one of three kit lenses.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Happy Dog

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, now I want one very badly!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

arozenfeld wrote:

$600 market price

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kds315* wrote:
arozenfeld wrote:

$600 market price

Ir I could spend that much, I'd do it. It looks beautiful. I read Attila recommended the Prakticar 50 f/1.4 as an alternative and from what I saw it also looks wonderful!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does this Biotar have an M42 mount? It certainly looks impressive.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chhayanat wrote:
Does this Biotar have an M42 mount? It certainly looks impressive.

no, Pentaflex 16mm film camera. Needs adaption