Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Movie camera lens (Bolex H16RX) with a Sony A7R?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 6:26 pm    Post subject: Movie camera lens (Bolex H16RX) with a Sony A7R? Reply with quote

Hello - new here and trying to see if a Kern Vario-Switar 16-100mm POE Bolex H16RX lens can be mounted and used with my Sony A7RII camera. The lens seems to have a B mount (not Praktica B/PB, which is smaller). Any suggestions?
TIA - Jim

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi jim,
it won't work, since Bolex H8RX mount has only 15.31mm , whereas Sony E mount has 18mm register distance.
see here: http://archive.is/N8Pm#selection-299.15-303.5

thus, only longer register distances can be adapted.

kind regards
hasan

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 7:05 am    Post subject: and corrected for reflex prism Reply with quote

The Bolex Rx series had a slightly different design in order to accomodate the extra glass in form of the prism in the lightpath. One may speculate whether this would perhaps be beneficial for digital sensors with layers of glass in front.

Image circle of optics designed for 16mm film, however, is much smaller than that needed for MFT. so even if the rear diameter would allow a recessed mount, it will be somewhat of an experimenters device.

According to the US market Bolex H8mm reflex lens brochure the new RX lenses had the same flange distance as those for the H16Rx, 0,690mm. No idea what the European brochure said, but with 1 inch =25,4inch that would be 17,53mm.

p.

Last edited by paulhofseth on Tue Apr 04, 2017 8:58 am; edited 2 times in total

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 7:26 am    Post subject: Re: and corrected for reflex prism Reply with quote

paulhofseth wrote:
The Bolex Rx series had a slightly different design in order to accomodate the extra glass in form of the prism in the lightpath. One may speculate whether this would perhaps be beneficial for digital sensors with layers of glass in front.

Image circle of optics designed for 16mm film, however, is much smaller than that needed for MFT. so even if the rear diameter would allow a recessed mount, it will be somewhat of an experimenters device.

According to the Bolex H8mm reflex lens brochure the new RX lenses had the same flange distance as those for the H16Rx, 0,690mm. No ida what the European brochure said, but with 1 inch =25,4mm that would be 17,53mm.

p.

Yep, exactly Paul, RX lenses are not considered to be used without that beam splitting glass cube.
Non RX lenses should work well (I have a few ones, excellent on my Lumix), especially the bit longer
focal lengths (like my 75mm Macro Switar).

Btw. also Lumix has a longer register distance, but but deeper setting the lens into the mount by some
millimeters using a special c-mount adapter is possible - which a friend of mine invented and his idea got
then stolen by chinese makers and made by millions, also for Sony NEX now using same idea.