Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Domiron or Trioplan?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 11:41 am    Post subject: Domiron or Trioplan? Reply with quote

Hi,
forget for a moment the price, which one of the two would you buy? And why?

Thanks.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Without price - one and one, and Primoplan too

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why not both?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Typical answers of GAS-affected people Laugh 1

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wolan wrote:
Typical answers of GAS-affected people Laugh 1

O, yes. it's true. i want, i need more and more lenses (first trioplan, second primoplan, third domiron etc).

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have both, and the other. I prefer Domiron. Trioplan too predictable. Domiron is more interesting.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

D. P. wrote:
I have both, and the other. I prefer Domiron. Trioplan too predictable. Domiron is more interesting.

Like 1 Like 1 Like 1 Like 1 Like 1 Enough? Smile

Please post more pictures or point me to your online gallery if any. Help me to take the hard decision to squander 900 euro... Smile

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a shot!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd answer Trioplan, presumably Minty CLA'ed from me Very Happy but I've sold my backup copy ten minutes ago.

For my butterflies I rate Trioplan higher, but from a collector's/investor's point of view I'd pick Domiron.

Trioplan is easier and more universal too. Technically simple as Trabant, and less condition-risky. Maybe go for better current price/performance/condition ratio?

Trioplan

Domiron

Last edited by Marek on Thu Mar 30, 2017 8:46 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Domiron.. because it focuses closer

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

leemik wrote:

Which is hardly a relevant point respecting
a) existence of crazy little thing called M42 extension tubes Very Happy
b) generally poor (too) close performance of Domiron both performance and bokeh -wise (especially wideopen)

Wink

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marek wrote:
leemik wrote:

b) generally poor (too) close performance of Domiron both performance and bokeh -wise (especially wideopen)

Wink
a. why would I want to fiddle with an extension tube when I can just use my Domiron?
b. poor bokeh from the domiron is your opinion...and who would want to shoot a macro wide open with an extension tube?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

leemik wrote:
Marek wrote:
leemik wrote:

Wink
a. why would I want to fiddle with an extension tube when I can just use my Domiron?
b. poor bokeh from the domiron is your opinion...and who would want to shoot a macro wide open with an extension tube?

Mate, I've said zippo about bokeh qualities of Domiron (that is good or bad entirely up to the eyes of the beholder), just mentioned it turns crappy if/when too close to the object (just as another else Meyer vintage drawing lens)

You are however absolutely right on the matter of pestering with tubes - Trioplan's MFD is usually good enough w/o them! Domiron goes even unnecessarily close (same as Makro-Kilar, or Macro Quinar items).

I often shoot WO with tubes with vintage lenses. Why would I want to loose most of their charm? If I want razor sharp super detailed macros, I pick modern Zeisses instead (or, soon, Apo Lanthar instead).

It may be a truth Domiron may be easier to handle shut-down on MFD w/o using the tubes, but for reaching great results you probably wont use lens as Domiron for.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Note: among my friends, there is a lot of rich and probably spoiled Very Happy photographers that usually end up in bed with the cult Domiron lens sooner or later.

There is a rumor they celebrate the purchase, show item to many people, then test it, and put it into vitrine silently Very Happy It has a reputation of a "lens so great no one uses it and no one has actually seen a good photo made with" Very Happy

Although I refuse to accept this "Czech urban truth", there is actually something on it. That lens is simply more a collector item and definitely not carrying too positive value for money ratio.

I own many overpriced lenses that many old-fashioned collectors now dislike just for their hype, but most of them I rate more worth-a-buy than Domiron is. Even Makro Kilar 90 value, another item good to compare to this two Meyers, I find much more adequate to actual usage & joy you can get from, Domiron is neither so unique nor optically excellent, and it is NOT so easy to use... Just my two cents.

Make no mistake, I love my Domiron with broken paw Very Happy but I'd never recommend to anyone over Trioplan as a first of them, not even to a guy who would steal my own car Very Happy

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Marek,

You are the master of butterflies!

Or springtime is very special over there.

In any case, superb as always.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, Luis. I am always happy to please the experts (lensperts) like you Whoo Turtle

However you couldnt be more wrong with your Spring comment.

The first one is from Winter Palawan (Phils) and the second one is from July Very Happy

These are mostly from Spring Smile

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 1:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since we are talking about butterflies Smile
Domiron, wide open, MFD:

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 2:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Despite the fact that Domiron is my favorite, I have several lenses that I like no less: Canon 50/0.95, Auto-Takumar 35/2.3, Fujinon 55/1.6 (M42) and Helios-44M-7 (yes-yes, cheap Helios for 20 bucks). These lenses - for special effects and special mood, I do not require any sharpness or other similar qualities from them.
I think this is an incorrect posing of the question (Domiron v. Trioplan). With the same success you can ask - What do you prefer, bread or Coke?
All lenses are good, each in its own way.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 2:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not butterflies, but soon they will turn into.
Domiron, wide open, MFD:

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 2:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why not an Oreston or a 2/50 Pancolar? Both give great results and are underrated. The Domiron is mostly interesting because of its rarity, but I don't consider it anything special in light of its relative the Oreston and comrade Pancolar.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mos6502 wrote:
Why not an Oreston or a 2/50 Pancolar? Both give great results and are underrated. The Domiron is mostly interesting because of its rarity, but I don't consider it anything special in light of its relative the Oreston and comrade Pancolar.

I have Oreston, too. This is a good lens, but it is very different from the Domiron.

Oreston 50/1.8 @1.8:

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like 1 Like 1 Like 1

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oreston - bravo! Domiron - bravo!

That's why I wrote that the collector wants to have all the lenses (or almost all).

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As for Pancolar (I have four different versions), I would not compare it to Meyer's lenses. Their "handwriting" is fundamentally different, it's a completely different lens.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, for completeness of comparison - Trioplan 100/2.8: