Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Cosina/Voigtlander Heliar 40/2.8
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 8:47 am    Post subject: Cosina/Voigtlander Heliar 40/2.8 Reply with quote

The 40/2.8 Heliar is a strange lens: it's a contemporary lens (released in 2015), which is only available in Leica M bayonet but is not usable on a Leica camera... The lens, made by Cosina in its Japan factory, has no helicoid nor any other contraption that would allow to adjust its focus. It is therefore destined to be used on mirrorless cameras with a sufficiently short registration in order to use an adapter with a built-in helicoid to mount the lens and allow it to focus. I use it on a Sony A7II or A6000 with a Yeenon "Close-Up" Leica M-Sony FE adapter, which allows the lens to focus to approximately 0.45m. I also use it with a Techart Pro adapter, which allows autofocus.

The lens has a classic Heliar/Dynar formula (5 element / 3 group) tweaked with modern glass and coatings. It delivers very punchy colors and nice bokeh (it can be a bit busy sometimes but is usually much nicer than the 40/1.4 Nokton or 40/2.0 Summicron).

Here are a few samples, from the least days of Summer in Wellington (click on any picture to see it full size):

1. A7 F/11 Refurbish

2. A7 F/11 Big Splash

3. A7 F/11 Walk By

4. A7 F/2.8 Lichen

5. A7 F/2.8 Summer Leaves

6. A7 F/4.0 White Flowers

7. A7 F/4.0 Hydrangea

8. A6000 F/2.8 The Bird - Tribute to Luis

9. A6000 F/2.8 Melancholy

Cheers!

Abbazz

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wonderful to see you here again Sebastien!!
I hope you and your family enjoy living in New Zealand!
Great lens and great presentation! Like 1 small Like 1 small Like 1 small

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kds315* wrote:
Wonderful to see you here again Sebastien!!
I hope you and your family enjoy living in New Zealand!
Great lens and great presentation! Like 1 small Like 1 small Like 1 small

Thank you for the kind words, Klaus!

Cheers!

Abbazz

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice lens,expensive? Like 1 small Like 1 small

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kryss wrote:
Nice lens,expensive? Like 1 small Like 1 small

In Austria 429 Euro for the naked 40mm/F2.8 VME lens and 348 Euro for the necessary VME adapter.
IMHO not really cheap. Rolling Eyes
In comparison the Nokton 40mm/F1.4 (usable without adapter) is 549 Euro new.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AOK if you already own the naked 40mm,otherwise you would surely buy the Nokton.. Wink

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 2:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not sure it would be a good idea to acquire the Nokton 40/1.4 over the Heliar 40/2.8 lens only because the former seems cheaper (in fact, the Heliar is the cheaper lens if you already have a close focus adapter).

The truth is that the Heliar is a much sharper lens than the Nokton. Wide open, the Nokton exhibits a huge field curvature, with OK resolution in the center of the frame and blurry image borders. At F/2.8, the corners are still pretty bad and the image only becomes really sharp over the whole field at F/9. The Heliar is already pretty sharp over the whole field at F/2.8, with only a bit of softness in the corners. If you close the aperture further down, it becomes sharper than the Nokton not only in the center of the frame, but also right to the very corners of the image.

Here are two pictures taken at F/2.8 with the Heliar and with the Nokton (sorry for the boring pictures but it is raining here and I had to do with what I had at hand):

1. Heliar at F/2.8

2. Nokton at F/2.8

You can see that the Heliar has a slightly wider field of view and more vignetting.

Now, if you look at the corners at 100%, you will see that the Heliar is indeed sharper.

1. Heliar top left corner

2. Nokton top left corner

3. Heliar top right corner

4. Nokton top right corner

Of course, the Nokton is an F/1.4 lens, while the Heliar is only an F/2.8 lens, so they have different uses. That's why I have both lenses.

So it all depends on what type of images you shoot: the Heliar will be more appropriate for landscape or architecture (it also has less distortion), while the Nokton will be better suited for low light photography, portrait, snapshots and family pictures.

Cheers!

Abbazz