Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

A correct Exakta to EOS adapter
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2022 10:04 pm    Post subject: A correct Exakta to EOS adapter Reply with quote

Dear fellows, those of you who use Exakta mount lenses (including Re.Topcor) on EOS body or on EOS adapters, could you please tell which ones work fine?

I've got a cheap Exakta to EOS adapter like this one which just does not grasp neither old Exakta lenses with the lateral shutter button (because the button prevents to put the adapter ring flat on the lens mount), nor the Re.Topcor lenses whish have an additional aperture pin (which does not fit any whole or channel and this prevents once again the ring to lay flat on the lens mount).

While there is nothing wrong with narrower Exakta to Nex cheap adapters like this one, I don't understand how the thin ones may sell without being constantly refused by the users.

I also see a more expensive version of Exakta-EOS like this one, but it does not seem to solve the main issue, as it is equallly large with only one main channel divided in two parts.

Please share your experience. Maybe I am just catching wrong the usage of the thing.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2022 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your best bet maybe this one. However, no adapter will allow you mount all Re.Topcor lenses without modifying the lens.

Click here to see on Ebay

As the description is impossible to understand, here is the translation by myself.

Quote:

There are two version of the adapter.

1) infinity focus (EXA-EOS) : This is the adapter which allows infinity. But it might interfere with mirror on a full frame camera.

2) No infinity focus (EXA-EOS*) : This adapter is 0.4mm thicker than infinity focus (EXA-EOS) version. It is designed for those who use full frame camera without mirror shaving.

Let them know which one you need.

Hope this helps.

P.S. I have not tried the adapter myself nor I have any connection with the seller.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2022 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For Topcor lenses you do not have a good option that I know of.

You have this adapter which will work. However, I would expect an impact on image performance. That came with a used lens I purchased and it appears to be uncoated glass and impact iQ.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/995133-REG/fotodiox_exa_eos_g_pro_canon_eos_ef.html

Your other option is this adapter. It had a slot cut inside it to deal with the aperture pin that sticks out on Topcor lenses:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/265496745469?chn=ps&mkevt=1&mkcid=28

That one they say is compatible with APS-C Canon cameras so you don't get FF. Also, in my case I was trying to use that to mount to a lens turbo and the pin from the lens stuck out too far and did not allow the lens to be mounted. At that point you are looking at shaving or removing the aperture pin, which would be a permeant probably irreversible modification.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2022 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cbass wrote:
For Topcor lenses you do not have a good option that I know of.

You have this adapter which will work. However, I would expect an impact on image performance. That came with a used lens I purchased and it appears to be uncoated glass and impact iQ.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/995133-REG/fotodiox_exa_eos_g_pro_canon_eos_ef.html

Your other option is this adapter. It had a slot cut inside it to deal with the aperture pin that sticks out on Topcor lenses:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/265496745469?chn=ps&mkevt=1&mkcid=28

That one they say is compatible with APS-C Canon cameras so you don't get FF. Also, in my case I was trying to use that to mount to a lens turbo and the pin from the lens stuck out too far and did not allow the lens to be mounted. At that point you are looking at shaving or removing the aperture pin, which would be a permeant probably irreversible modification.

I tried an adapter similar to the Fotasy Topcon adapter about 10 years ago. It don't fit my Topcon lens. May be my lens is special?! If anyone try the Fotasy Topcon adapter, please let us know which lens it will be compatible.

On my 85mm, The outer pin on the rear of a Topcon lens protrude more than 1mm from the mount. If the adapter is only about 0.7mm thick, the pin will protrude from the adapter mount, marking the aperture ring inoperable after mount to a camera. Since I no longer own any Canon EF camera, it may be different with different camera/lens/adapter combo.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2022 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you may have had a different adapter. There is also a Exakta to EOS adapter made by Fotasy. It looks similar, but it has less slots cut out. The adapter I linked specifically says auto topcon to EOS and has additional slots for all the pins. However, it was still a failure for me. The adapter mounted to the lens without issue, but the aperture pin still stuck out beyond the thickness of the adapter and would not properly mount. Hence why I said there is no good option for Topcor. If you remove or shave off the aperture pin sticking out, then it should work but you alter the lens permanently. It's a hassle. Topcor lenses are easier adapted to mirrorless.

If you had the same adapter, then we ran into the same issue. That is why I first stated there is no good option. All options I know have issues. The first one with glass will work but IQ will be impacted.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2022 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes. We may got a different adapter but the result remains the same: the adapter will work only with the aperture pin filed down a little bit at least. The adapter I tried has a outer slot to accommodate the aperture ring too.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2022 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is correct. That adapter is still an issue. With Topcor your best chance is to have a mirrorless body.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2022 7:21 pm    Post subject: Re: A correct Exakta to EOS adapter Reply with quote

alex ph wrote:
Dear fellows, those of you who use Exakta mount lenses (including Re.Topcor) on EOS body or on EOS adapters, could you please tell which ones work fine?

I have bought a very usual cheap Exakta - EOS adapter and made special cuts with the dremel for the Topcor pins. It was ugly but it worked.

Another option is to get interchangable Topcon-M42 mounts and switch them. This procedure is reversible and I've performed it for my topcors 50/1.4, 58/1.4 and 35/2.8 (small shaving of the internal surface of the adapter was needed for 35mm only). The infinity was OK with a paper shim. Now these Topcors are returned to the original state.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2022 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We need to convince the Leitax folks to make replacement mounts for Topcor lenses. Just one would handle every single RE. Auto-Topcor lens. Adapters to Canon EF and Pentax K would be very possible. They could also do Sony E, but why, since Canon and Pentax mounts can use adapters there. But to Nikon F is probably not possible, it would need to be too thin.

Unfortunately the R. Topcor lenses all have unique mounts, no two the same.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2022 2:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have an exakta adapter that has a very similar series of grooves. My guess is there are so many variations with exakta mount stuff its a bit hard to get a "one ring to rule them all" adapter.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2022 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you so much, fellows, for your tips and suggestions! I see now that there is a bunch of issues atatched to the common adapters.

Filing an additional cut in a basic adapter seems to be a partial solution.

Calvin, thank you for the translation of the hilarious annotation!

Max78, where did you get an M42 ring to replace the mount?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2022 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alex ph wrote:

Max78, where did you get an M42 ring to replace the mount?

It was in 2015 on Ebay, see also here: http://forum.mflenses.com/permanent-topcor-m42-adapter-t80310.html

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2022 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the precision. I searched ebay and found instead an add-on adapter, like this one, which looks pretty good for the purpose. What do you think of it?