Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Olympus OM Zuiko MC AUTO-W 28mm f2.8 - feedback requested
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 3:11 pm    Post subject: Olympus OM Zuiko MC AUTO-W 28mm f2.8 - feedback requested Reply with quote

Hi

Recently in another post I have been looking for an affordable 28mm lens for landscape photography adaptable to both my Canon FF and Sony APS-C cameras. I'm embarrassed to admit it but I already own a Olympus OM 28mm f2.8 which I had forgotten about. Embarassed

The photo below was taken on my Canon EOS5DMKII, f11, ISO100 and is the full frame image. I have applied a slight levels adjustment and sharpened the RAW file as per my usual pp. Personally I think the result from this lens, especially on full frame is excellent. I was expecting some smearing of detail in the corners but, to my ageing eyes, that doesn't seem to be the case.

Your feedback would be very much appreciated. Would I have to spend a lot more money to obtain better quality than this?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 6:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Olympus OM Zuiko MC AUTO-W 28mm f2.8 - feedback requeste Reply with quote

DigiChromeEd wrote:
Hi

Recently in another post I have been looking for an affordable 28mm lens for landscape photography adaptable to both my Canon FF and Sony APS-C cameras. I'm embarrassed to admit it but I already own a Olympus OM 28mm f2.8 which I had forgotten about. Embarassed

The photo below was taken on my Canon EOS5DMKII, f11, ISO100 and is the full frame image. I have applied a slight levels adjustment and sharpened the RAW file as per my usual pp. Personally I think the result from this lens, especially on full frame is excellent. I was expecting some smearing of detail in the corners but, to my ageing eyes, that doesn't seem to be the case.

Your feedback would be very much appreciated. Would I have to spend a lot more money to obtain better quality than this?

Quite a few vintage 28mm lenses will give very good results when used 1) at f11 and 2) with only green stuff: Most of these lenses are color corrected for yellow and blue light (=green), but less so for red light.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks quite good. But I would advice you to test the lens at infinity because this is the setting you will usually use for capturing landscape images.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

timo832000 wrote:
Looks quite good. But I would advice you to test the lens at infinity because this is the setting you will usually use for capturing landscape images.

I don't focus at infinity for many of my landscape images because I usually use the hyperfocal technique to obtain maximum depth of focus in my images.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apparently sharp from corner to corner with minimal color aberration, means fringing. I would have question about iso of the image, otherwise nice grain.

Maybe some scene with another lighning? Which allows to contrast for more pop up or so?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This 28 mm lens has the same design time than the 3rd versión of the MC 1,8/50 MM lens.

This is the first and unique versión.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 12:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Olympus OM Zuiko MC AUTO-W 28mm f2.8 - feedback requeste Reply with quote

On the classic Sony A7 the 28 f3.5 from Olympus is the sharpest lens corner to corner that I have tried. This 28 2.8 is pretty similar but slightly worse. A very viable lens indeed as you have found.

Both the Distagon 28 f2.8 MM and the Pentax K 28 f3.5 are better on flare control and vignetting than the Olympus 28 f3.5 at the expense of slightly worse corners and portability.

I'd keep the Olympus if you are don't find its flare control lacking. If you are considering upgrades those three are the ones to look for. Note that I didn't try the AIs 28 f2.8, just the f2.