Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Canon 35mm F2 SSC - question
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 2:22 pm    Post subject: Canon 35mm F2 SSC - question Reply with quote

Hi,

I shot last week some pics with the 35mm in bright sunlight condition.

Honestly I am really really disappointed, I have an ugly yellow cast and a mute sky

Do you know how to solve this ?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A polarizing filter would improve the saturation of the sky and to be honest, on my monitor, the sand looks natural.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is an other lens, I prefer this kind of color. This is more what my eyes saw that sunny day.

Well canon ssc is not for me I don't like the rendering. Lens for sell - lol

Olympus 35-70mm
Laugh 1

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

?

White balance.

Which camera?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Usually Auto WB adjusts(for the most part) any colour cast the lens may have, an easy way to see it, is to hold the lens up to something white and compare what you see through the glass to what you see directly, your monitor works great for this.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The concave FD silver nose version of 32/2 is known to be radioactive. Thus it tends to have yellow tint. Dunno which version of the lens you own.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there a way to know it is a concave version ?

For radioactive I read some expose their lens to UV, does it improve something ?
I have an uv exposure table with strong UV output, I may try and see.

I will make some white balance test this week end, it was set to AWB, but other lens with same setting gives different result.
I never experience such yellow cast before with a lens, expect when I was doing x-process.

Thank you !

[/img]

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the first shot, the sand is dry and bright. The second shot, the sand is damp, so it's dull.
The two shots are different, so you need to compare like with like.
You can improve saturation by under exposing a little. This is very obvious with sunset photos for example.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Place wide open lens on white sheet of paper; compare white through the lens with white without lens to see any color casting.

Auto white balance should correct for cast -- are you saying all photos made with the lens have the cast?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice tips, yes through the lens the white sheet turn with a yellow cast.

Yes all the photos made during that day had a yellow cast.

Is that only my copy that make this yellow cast or all 35mm f2 s.s.c. ???
NewFD have the same coating no ?

I will make more test this week end and try to find a suitable correction.

Thanks !

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would say the first shot looks more natural. The second looks bluish. Both look overexposed to me. Could be my monitor. Though it is hard to get good colors in bright sunlight. You might also consider a neutral density filter.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 1:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

willy35 wrote:
Is there a way to know it is a concave version ?

Left: Concave
Right: Convex
http://hkcamera.net/images/DSC04139.JPG

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 1:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe the radioactive particles ionize the glass causing it to acquire a yellow tint, Exposure to UV reverses it.
f16 = concave
f22 = convex

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great, you make me discover I have a radioactive lens, hence the yellow cast.
It is confirm by the f16 arperture, the serial number (lower than 100000), and the concave element

I am starting a UV treatment, 2x 10 minutes exposure to strong uv each day, front & rear, I hope it will be clear from yellow cast in 4 - 5 days.

Many many thanks !