Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Pentacon 50mm auto F1.8
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 7:26 pm    Post subject: Pentacon 50mm auto F1.8 Reply with quote

Been awhile since I last posted on this forum but I do still have scads of older MF lenses. My lens in question today is the above. I got it mounted to a Hanimex Pro LTL ( rebadged Practika LTL).The camera is listed as sort of rare on this site ( http://www.dresdner-kameras.de/praktica/praktica-export/praktica-export_english/praktica-export_english.html#USA1 ) ut my interest is in the M42 mount lens at the moment.... Anyone have any info on this lens ? I use most of my older MF (non Nikon) glass on my Oly M4/3rds cameras.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have 2 Pentacon 50/1.8's one is a so called Electric version with a couple of brass studs on the Mount plate. They are nice lenses for my money.Anything in particular you need to know?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine is not the "electric" version. It has the "zebra" style silver markings around the mount end. Just curious as to what it's like wide open & at the edges of the frame.... Maybe a portrait type lens ? if the edges are soft that is.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the Electric and Zebra versions, and they are almost certainly in the 'better than average' range of old lenses - although I have never used them on a full frame camera. just Pentax K10 and Sony NEX5 and A6000. It's a good lens, but not one I use a great deal because I have better M42 50mm range lenses such as the Pancolar, Takumar and Mamiya Sekor. That doesn't make it a bad lens, just not my first choice.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's been a while since i've used a Pentacon 50! In fact it is the successor of the Meyer Oreston 1.8/50, but the later version of the Pentacon have better coatings.
For the money a very nice lens!

Here's an album on my flickr with shots from the Pentacon 1.8/50: https://www.flickr.com/photos/chantalrene/albums/72157630432051760

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lloydy wrote:
I have the Electric and Zebra versions, and they are almost certainly in the 'better than average' range of old lenses - although I have never used them on a full frame camera. just Pentax K10 and Sony NEX5 and A6000. It's a good lens, but not one I use a great deal because I have better M42 50mm range lenses such as the Pancolar, Takumar and Mamiya Sekor. That doesn't make it a bad lens, just not my first choice.

Does the Pancolar offer the same buttery bokeh as the Pentacon 50 at close focus (30cm)? If yes, is the Pancolar zebra or the all black version better?

Sample of Pentacon close focus:

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sample of the Pancolar 50/1.8 (zebra) at close range:

NEX6_0003_0783 by Miran Amon, on Flickr

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very similar indeed!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My list says I have three Pentacon 50 1.8's, I can find one. I think I have two later versions and one earlier zebra - or half zebra. And a quick search on my Ipernity pictures shows just one picture taken with a Pentacon, and I'm pretty certain it was with this later version used on my NEX 5 and definitley taken wide open. I don't think there's a huge amount of PP, almost certainly no sharpening.

I really should use this lens a bit more.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any of my pancolars 50/1,8 black was better than any of my pentacon multicoated 50/1,8.

More contrast, more sharpness, better lens to my taste.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

papasito wrote:
Any of my pancolars 50/1,8 black was better than any of my pentacon multicoated 50/1,8.

More contrast, more sharpness, better lens to my taste.

I agree, the Pancolar is a better lens, and an excellent lens. Which leaves room for the Pentacon to still be a good lens. But, it's why I use the Pentacon so little, I have a few better lenses, and a whole lot of worse ones. Wink

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree pancolar is superior. Price reflects that though. Pancolar 50 1.8 50- 60 USD if you pay attention. Orestor/Pentacon 25-35.