Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Canon nFD 35-105mm f3.5 - any comments?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 2:13 pm    Post subject: Canon nFD 35-105mm f3.5 - any comments? Reply with quote

Been scouting around for some cheap lenses and stumbled upon this Canon New FD 35-105mm f3.5 Zoom lens.
Cost no more than $100 for a Mint copy on ebay and plenty of copies available.
I've been reading reviews on Canon Classic (aka FDreviews) but getting mixed responses -http://www.canonclassics.com/canon-nfd-35-105mm-f3.5/10-110/

Some of the cons include "Prone to flare. Low contrast. Boring colors..."
One of the main concern of this lens is the MFD - 1.5m?! That would be hard to use on the wide end.

I've also noticed that some are claiming it to be a parfocal zoom lens (the focus doesn't shift when zooming in/out) - great for videography.

More info: http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography/companies/canon/fdresources/fdlenses/fdzooms/50135.htm

Any owners here? What are your view on this particular lens?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Used to own one, never liked it too much, sold it. For canon I'd strongly prefer the FD 28-85/4 which is slightly better overall, indeed it's close to the Zeiss Contax fir 28-85 but with Canon colour. The FD 28-85 is also less flare prone than either the FD 35-105 or the Zeiss 28-85 due to some clever internal baffles.

Of course the hair-shirt brigade on photo.net's FD forum love the big, heavy, metal-ey 35-105 and always recommended it (you'll know them - they recommend cameras by weight e.g. the original F-1 or the EF).

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes a lot of flare. But it can focus closer with the macro function. When I need a zoom I tend to grab my Minolta MD zoom 35-70mm 3.5 macro instead.
Nothing wrong with the colors in my view.

Here is the Canon in macro mode. Kodak gold 200.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree the Minolta is a joy. I also like my oly 35-70. But then I used oly for a couple of decades back in the film era. You should certainly be able to beat 100 USD for a short tele range zoom.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I own the nFD 35-105/3.5 and I like it a lot. I don't have any photos here handy to show, but if you google the lens and then click on "Images," you'll find plenty of examples.

One of the things I've always liked about it is it has good bokeh at longer settings, shot wide open. Here's an image I found on Flickr that illustrates what I mean:

The lens generally has excellent sharpness and when used at wider apertures, one can often get a great 3D look. Here's another with nice bokeh I found on flickr:

Since it's a quality 2-ring zoom, I would expect it to be parfocal. I haven't actually checked mine yet, but I don't see any reason why it wouldn't be.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 1:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The one I've seen employed infamous Canon self-destructing rollers, so I suspect it is rather prone to developing mechanical problems.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 5:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

An excellent lens.
Like all lenses, learn to play to its strengths and avoid placing it into circumstances that will show it in a bad light.
I have one and I like it for what I do.
Spent this morning making images and it was the only lens that I used.
T

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll have to admit that the focal range that this lenses cover is pretty "complete"
Are there any equivalent MF lenses that perform better than this?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

evilhomura89 wrote:
I'll have to admit that the focal range that this lenses cover is pretty "complete"
Are there any equivalent MF lenses that perform better than this?

Vivitar Series 1 28-90 made by Komine is a standout.
A little wider and a little shorter and a little faster.
Very sharp
T

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I would agree with Oldhand. The Vivitar Series 1 28-90mm f/2.8-3.5 is a real standout. It was one of my two go-to lenses for several years back in my very active film days. Honestly, if I had to choose between the Vivitar and the Canon, I'd choose the Vivitar. Not just because it's perhaps a bit better optically, but because I just found the 28-90 range more useful. I was always pairing the Vivitar with a Tamron SP 60-300, so I had good overlap between the two lenses, as well.

Still, I recall often just wanting that 35-105 Canon and wasn't really satisfied until I'd obtained one. Here's the reason why: my parents went on an extended trip to China back in 1982 or 1983 or so and my mother handled the photography chores. She had her Canon AE-1 and AE-1 Program and a few lenses, one of which was the 35-105/3.5. She showed me a bunch of slides when she got back and I still recall being quite taken by a few she had done with that lens. They were just brilliant. So I've wanted a copy of that lens ever since. It took a while, but eventually my mother gave me that very lens -- along with the rest of her FD and EF outfits -- when she decided she just wasn't gonna use it anymore. (She was using only a small point&shoot exclusively, and had been for years)

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 5:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two images from today with the Canon FDn 35-105 f3.5
T

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the 3 Vivitar Komine close focus lenses 28-90mm,28-105mm and 75-250mm and agree with Thomas and Michael each of these lenses are superb..

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fantastic shots, OH. Your second one illustrates what I was describing. Great separation between the subject and the background, giving a nice 3D effect with soft bokeh.

This was why I wanted a copy of this lens so much.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 5:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cooltouch wrote:
Fantastic shots, OH. Your second one illustrates what I was describing. Great separation between the subject and the background, giving a nice 3D effect with soft bokeh.

Well, there's plenty of good copies available in the market since it is not that popular amongst lens collector yet

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 6:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

evilhomura89 wrote:
cooltouch wrote:

Well, there's plenty of good copies available in the market since it is not that popular amongst lens collector yet

Yes they are exceptional value at present.
Find one in good condition and enjoy great images without spending too much.
T

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One more:

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the Soligor C/D 35-105mm f3.5 macro,anyone know how this compares with the Canon?.The weather is pretty bad here at present(-20C and snow) and at my age you do not want to be out in it or I would post some shots with this lens.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The lens also has a useful close-up function with a switch labelled Macro.
Here is an image in this mode.
T

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 6:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Canon nFD 35-105mm f3.5 - any comments? Reply with quote

evilhomura89 wrote:
Been scouting around for some cheap lenses and stumbled upon this Canon New FD 35-105mm f3.5 Zoom lens.
Cost no more than $100 for a Mint copy on ebay and plenty of copies available.
I've been reading reviews on Canon Classic (aka FDreviews) but getting mixed responses -http://www.canonclassics.com/canon-nfd-35-105mm-f3.5/10-110/
Any owners here? What are your view on this particular lens?

I do own the nFD 3.5/35-105mm, along with many other MF and AF 35-105 zooms. While the Canon is among the faster ones, it certainly is no among the sharpest 35-105mm lenses. I would even consider it to be one of the less sharp 35-105mm zooms! The (newer) nFD 3.5-4.5/35-105mm is better, and both versions of the Minolta MD 3.5-4.5/35-105mm are visibly better. And they are available for 15-30 CHF / EUR / USD. Equally good is the first (full metal) version of the Minolta AF 3.5-4.5/35-105mm.

Stephan