Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Avro Vulcan XM603 - Tamron AD2 35-135mm f3.5-4.2 22A
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 3:05 pm    Post subject: Avro Vulcan XM603 - Tamron AD2 35-135mm f3.5-4.2 22A Reply with quote

It is a horrible day here in Cheshire, really cloudy,dull and raining. Not the best day for taking pics.

So I decided to visit the Avro Heritage Museum in Cheshire and take some pictures of the Vulcan Bomber now it is back in the original white livery

Tamron D2 22A used to capture these - once again great details and quality from yet another Adaptall-2 lens

You will all have to excuse the few raindrop on the lens on these shots - asI said it was pretty wet here today

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reminiscing.....I used to fly one of these,happy days.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Air-show favorite in the 60's and 70's.Awesome piece of kit. Low pass,wide open,stick back and loads of compression(?) shock waves over the wing,I got goose bumps.
Thanks for the Pics.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kryss wrote:

You used to fly Vulcan's? Whao!!!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back in the day.... Like 1 small

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, I feel privileged. We have a former RAF pilot amongst us!

That Vulcan looks like it's going fast standing still. Good job, Marks. You must have been dealing with some fairly slow shutter speeds.

Something I noticed that I find sort of interesting. The word "Vulcan" on the intake covers looks like it's the same script that Virgin Airways uses.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 2:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those nacelle covers are after market Michael.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kryss wrote:
Those nacelle covers are after market Michael.

After market covers for Vulcan ..

I remember someone showed here shots of the last flying Vulcan some time ago?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I posted some a few years back with a vernon edonar at the Scottish airshow...

http://forum.mflenses.com/vernon-edonar-350mm-5-5-t68538,highlight,%2Bedonar.html

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice series. It's always preferable to see a bird on the wing versus parked on the tarmac.

Aftermarket nacelle covers indeed -- I wonder if there's much of a market for them Cool

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I was a boy, a long time ago, I grew up in the house indicated by the blue arrow and we had access to all the woodland around the SW edge of the RAF Cosford which is now the home to a superb museum. The RAF flew a Vulcan in that is still on display there, and the RAF informed my dad and told him that it might be noisy as the runway was too short and in the event of an aborted landing the Vulcan would be coming more or less over our house at full throttle. But my old man loved planes, he was ex RAF, and we went through the trees and sat in the grass right in line with runway waiting for the Vulcan to arrive. Red arrow.

They were right, the runway was too short, and there was a lot of noise. And jet engine blast as it climbed out of the aborted landing and flew directly over us no more than 100 feet above. We were blown to the ground in a blizzard of flying branches and dirt as the Vulcan turned for another attempt. We moved along the tree line a bit and witnessed a spectacular landing with smoke heaving from the tyres and brakes as it just stopped in the length of the runway. A Victor they landed in the opposite direction later overshot and sank in the grass.

My Dad said "Don't tell your Mother" he was right as well, she'd have killed the pair of us.

I still go to the RAF Cosford museum regularly just see that magnificent plane, and it's the view I remember - the Vulcan is suspended from the roof of the hanger.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kryss wrote:

You are a dark horse kryss.
Lucky you to fly one of those.
Did you take any trips to the south atlantic in the early eighties Smile
T

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Falklands were a problem for the Vulcans to reach and by the 80's I was decomissioned.