Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Recommend me a wide zoom that perfoms well stopped down
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 9:33 pm    Post subject: Recommend me a wide zoom that perfoms well stopped down Reply with quote

I currently use a modern 18-55 reversed for macros, it works well and I have nothing against it optically, but I have no control of the aperture, because of this I'm looking for something on a similar range that has aperture controls on the body.
Most of the time it's at 35mm and F11, so a 35mm prime isn't out of the question, I just think that stopped down the zooms might peform just as good.

What I used before was a Soligor 28-35, but it gives too much blue flare against bright lights
Looking at the Tokina 25-50 now, any recommendations?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nothing that gets down to 18mm. That's APS-C stuff, and good luck finding any APS-C lenses that might still have an aperture lever. I dunno, do Nikon or Pentax APS-C lenses have aperture levers?

Since you mentioned that Tokina, two other zooms come to mind: the Tamron SP 24-48 and the Vivitar Series 1 24-48. They are both manual focus lenses and have aperture levers. I own one of each. They're good, solid performers.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got ...... Kiron 28-70 / 3.5-4.5, don't bother wit it, I haven't got a sharp picture from it yet.

Sigma Aspherical 24-70 / 3.5-5.6. Marginally better than the Kiron, but considering how awful the Kiron is.....the Sigma is not good at all.

Vivitar Series 1. VMC. 28-90 / 2.8-3.5. It's a large, one touch lens, a nice quality lens, and wonderful. There's no macro but close focus is 0.75 m. I love this lens, it's sharp and well behaved.

Vivitar Series 1. VMC. 24-48 / 3.8. A big fat lens with 77mm filter thread, an old school two ring zoom that is is superb. No macro but 2 feet close focus. Not common but worth looking for.

Or go up to 35mm zooms - such as the Tamron 17A 35-70 / 3.5, which is excellent, Tamron 22A 35-135 / 3.5-4.2 which is a great lens, so versatile.

Then there's the classic Minolta Rokkor Macro 35-70 / 3.5 which is without a doubt my favourite short zoom. It's often compared to a 'bag of primes' and I agree, it is that good.

There's a lot of 35-70ish zooms out there, it was a very popular range, so I expect there are other good short zooms, and a lot of mediocre ones.

Last edited by Lloydy on Sun Mar 12, 2017 12:28 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cooltouch wrote:
the Tamron SP 24-48 and the Vivitar Series 1 24-48.

I echo these comments, they are both excellent. I'm sure you'll be happy with either of them, especially stopped down.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 5:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Minolta MD 24-50 F4 must be one of the best, but not the 24-35 F3.5 (although that is a good complement for the 35-70 F3.5, with the 55mm filter thread size).

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks! I'll look at reviews of those Smile

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check out Johan J. Ingles - Le Nobel's web site for lots of macro info, including a page on reversed lenses etc.

http://extreme-macro.co.uk/