Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

SMC Takumar 55mm 1.8 (kryss, only 9 photos) :D
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 8:32 pm    Post subject: SMC Takumar 55mm 1.8 (kryss, only 9 photos) :D Reply with quote

Solid construction and performance. As it happens I have some samples to share! And not too many for kryss to be overwhelmed Wink

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had used just the last three, these are Like 1 Laugh 1
I'm with kryss, when it is about selection. Never bore
the audience I learned once... Wink

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like 1 small Beautiful!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 2:12 pm    Post subject: Re: SMC Takumar 55mm 1.8 (kryss, only 9 photos) :D Reply with quote

blotafton wrote:
Solid construction and performance. As it happens I have some samples to share!

Like 1 small
Good examples of what that lens design can do. [I have the SMC Pentax K-mount version of the lens, so I would have expected no less.]

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kds315* wrote:
I had used just the last three, these are Like 1 Laugh 1
I'm with kryss, when it is about selection. Never bore
the audience I learned once... Wink

I'll do my best to slim down the the next post Laugh 1

Cheers!

hoanpham wrote:
Like 1 small Beautiful!

jamaeolus wrote:
Very nice.

Thanks!

fwcetus wrote:
blotafton wrote:
Solid construction and performance. As it happens I have some samples to share!

Like 1 small
Good examples of what that lens design can do. [I have the SMC Pentax K-mount version of the lens, so I would have expected no less.]

Thanks! That version looks almost the same Smile

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there a difference between this one and f/2.0 version? On pentaxforums, it says that it is the same lens, but different production time, optically the same thing.
Compared to Helios 44M-4, how does this one work?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AlexKV wrote:
Is there a difference between this one and f/2.0 version? On pentaxforums, it says that it is the same lens, but different production time, optically the same thing.

"The word on the street" is that the 55/1.8 and 55/2 are the exact same lens, ~except~ that the f/2 version (intended to be the "kit" lens sold with less expensive bodies) had a more aperture-restrictive baffle installed during production, so as to be a less "deluxe" lens than the f/1.8 version (which was intended to be the normal lens sold with the more expensive bodies).

Marketing "genius", eh? Smile

BTW, I believe this was true for both the SMC Takumar m42 and the SMC Pentax K versions.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Optical diagram of SMC Takumar 55/1.8 -

Optical diagram of SMC Pentax "K" 55/1.8 -

Construction of SMC Takumar 55/1.8 -

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fwcetus wrote:
AlexKV wrote:

"The word on the street" is that the 55/1.8 and 55/2 are the exact same lens, ~except~ that the f/2 version (intended to be the "kit" lens sold with less expensive bodies) had a more aperture-restrictive baffle installed during production, so as to be a less "deluxe" lens than the f/1.8 version (which was intended to be the normal lens sold with the more expensive bodies).

Marketing "genius", eh? Smile

BTW, I believe this was true for both the SMC Takumar m42 and the SMC Pentax K versions.

I don't know about marketing genius, but it is smart planning, take your 2 most common lenses in their lineup and share as many components between them that you can, in this case, only the ID ring and the aperture block are different.

I actually think I prefer the 55/1.8 more than the 50/1.4

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lightshow wrote:
I actually think I prefer the 55/1.8 more than the 50/1.4

Same here. Over the years (decades), I've owned a number of Pentax K-mount (K, M, A, F, and FA) normal lenses (50/2, 50/1.7, 50/1.4, 50/1.1.8, 55/2, 55/2) (and a few of the m42 versions, too), many of 'em having arrived here mounted on various ol' film SLR's, but the only two I still have around are a K 55/1.8 (for its beautiful rendition) and an A 50/1.7 (the best all-around "non-green-button-metering" Pentax 50, methinks). [Oh, and an A 50/2.8 Macro, my most frequently used macro lens.]

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The K 55/1,8 has better coated than the previous M42 SMC version.

I don't know, and don't beleave that the K had the same glass than the oldest M42.

The newer glass should be better. At least in the luxury version of the brand (some K lenses were)

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

papasito wrote:
I don't know, and don't beleave that the K had the same glass than the oldest M42.

The newer glass should be better. At least in the luxury version of the brand (some K lenses were)

Well, I would disagree. Most (but admittedly not all) of the SMC K lenses were "repackaged" (for a K mount) versions of the immediately preceding corresponding SMC Takumar lenses. [There were a few brand new lenses added to the SMC K lineup.] I believe that, in most of the "repackaged" K lenses, the glass changes were minimal.

But this is not to say that the SMC K lenses had much connection to most of the "oldest M42" lenses. In fact, as a generality, there probably are more optical similarities between many of the SMC Takumar lenses and the corresponding SMC K lenses than there are between many of those SMC Takumar lenses and the oldest Takumar and even some of the earlier Super Tak lenses.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't recall much difference between S-M-C, SMC, and SMC K 55/1.8 lenses, other than possible coating evolution.