Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Same flower - different lens - Tamron 60-300mm 23a
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 1:22 pm    Post subject: Same flower - different lens - Tamron 60-300mm 23a Reply with quote

Just received a lovely mint copy of the Tamron SP AD2 60-300 f3.8-5.4 23a lens and thought whilst the amaryllis was in full bloom it would be a good subject to capture

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice!
23A - the "swiss army knife" of a lens, a consistent pleaser, does everything well. And better close focus to 1:1.55 than any other zoom of its era (AFAIK).
Well worth setting it up with a tripod mount ring.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like 1 Like 1 Like 1

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's weird, I'm just thinking of buying one of these Wink

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bychance.....I have a nice one for sale if interested.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Kryss, thanks for that, but I think the postage cost may be a bit too high to the UK mate.

Steve.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Steve,I agree the postage costs from Canada are steep but they are becoming prohibiting from many countries with the exception maybe of China. Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

marcusBMG wrote:
Nice!
23A - the "swiss army knife" of a lens, a consistent pleaser, does everything well. And better close focus to 1:1.55 than any other zoom of its era (AFAIK).
Well worth setting it up with a tripod mount ring.

I'm pretty much in agreement with everything you wrote. I bought a new one back in 1986 or so, and paid good money for it -- around $300. So it was one of the more expensive zooms available back then. I never regretted paying that amount for it, though, because it did everything well with my Canon FD outfit. Swiss Army Knife, indeed! Very Happy

A few years ago, I did a comparison test of macro lenses and tossed in the 23A just for grins. I was quite surprised to see that it actually out-performed a couple of highly respected macro lenses in certain situations. Its center sharpness at 1:1.55 is remarkable.

See my comparison here:
http://michaelmcbroom.com/blogistan/?p=56

Its only real drawback I've found is not having a tripod mount. It is a long lens and fairly heavy, so it can put a stress on some of the more lightweight plasticky cameras. I bought one of those mounts that I currently have fitted to my 200mm f/4 Micro Nikkor, but I'll bet it will work on my 23A as well. Need to go give it a try.

A couple of slide shots taken with the 23A. I've shown them here before, but I'll go ahead and repeat things.

This first one I sold as a stock image to a New York publishing house that published a book on green iguanas.

This next one was taken at an IMSA race at the now departed Riverside International Raceway. A Porsche powered March 83G, hurtling down the back straight at 200+ mph.