Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Hexanon AR 135mm f/3.2, f/3.5, disassembly
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 6:44 pm    Post subject: Hexanon AR 135mm f/3.2, f/3.5, disassembly Reply with quote

Can anyone get me started on how to disassemble this lens?

I only need access to the front of the lens, just behind the first element. But there is no retaining ring to unscrew which would allow removal of that front element. Rolling Eyes

I really don't want to disassemble the entire lens to fix what needs fixed. Hope I don't have to.

Last edited by guardian on Sun Aug 11, 2013 4:42 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you a photo of the lens, I'm sure there is a retaining ring, I had the 3.5 and that did.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tervueren wrote:
Have you a photo of the lens, I'm sure there is a retaining ring, I had the 3.5 and that did.

Am grateful for the tip. Thanks. I will have another look; maybe I missed it.

This lens has the sliding built-in hood. Maybe that's somehow connected to my difficulty.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I now have the same problem as you only with the f3.5 version. Did you find out how to remove the front element? I have removed the outer name ring and the rubber o-ring behind it but can't get any further. I was expecting to find some retaining screws at this point, but there aren't any that I can see.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DigiChromeEd wrote:
I now have the same problem as you only with the f3.5 version. Did you find out how to remove the front element? I have removed the outer name ring and the rubber o-ring behind it but can't get any further. I was expecting to find some retaining screws at this point, but there aren't any that I can see.

This project remains on my list of things to do. I apologize I cannot discuss the f3.5 version, which I don't own. And I don't know the extent of similarity to the f3.2 version.

For me the problem on my f3.2 has been one of "reach". My name ring is sunk deeply into the lens. My name ring tool lacks sufficient reach to allow me to get down in there so I can unscrew the name ring. That said:

My plan all along has been to purchase a different name ring tool with greater reach. I assumed once I had the name ring out that the first element would come out easily. And as I wrote prior, I need only to remove the front element.

Are you saying that name ring removal on your f3.5 did not allow you also easily to remove the front element??

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

guardian wrote:
DigiChromeEd wrote:

This project remains on my list of things to do. I apologize I cannot discuss the f3.5 version, which I don't own. And I don't know the extent of similarity to the f3.2 version.

For me the problem on my f3.2 has been one of "reach". My name ring is sunk deeply into the lens. My name ring tool lacks sufficient reach to allow me to get down in there so I can unscrew the name ring. That said:

My plan all along has been to purchase a different name ring tool with greater reach. I assumed once I had the name ring out that the first element would come out easily. And as I wrote prior, I need only to remove the front element.

Are you saying that name ring removal on your f3.5 did not allow you also easily to remove the front element??

I only need to remove the front element on mine too. As I said, After removing the name ring and the o-ring beneath I was expecting to find some screws which when removed would release the front element. But there are none. I have noticed on mine though, when you extend the hood forward, it uncovers three tiny screws around the lens barrel. I haven't removed these yet but was wondering whether this was the way in.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DigiChromeEd wrote:
guardian wrote:
DigiChromeEd wrote:

I only need to remove the front element on mine too. As I said, After removing the name ring and the o-ring beneath I was expecting to find some screws which when removed would release the front element. But there are none. I have noticed on mine though, when you extend the hood forward, it uncovers three tiny screws around the lens barrel. I haven't removed these yet but was wondering whether this was the way in.

It's impossible for me to know. I would guess: yes

On my f3.2 there is but a single tiny screw roughly opposite the first element. As I've not yet been able to unscrew the name ring, I cannot say what role that screw plays.

Speaking now strictly in general and, again, without specific knowledge of your lens:

Be watchful for the possibility your three small screws might be "glued" in place. On some lenses this is done to avoid need for too much tightening with possible resultant distortion/misalignment. If the screws are glued, a tiny bit of acetone might free them. But do not allow acetone to contact anything plastic.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From what I've been able to glean from the scarce information on the internet re Hexanon lenses, once the name plate ring and rubber o-ring have been removed, the front element assembly should screw out of the lens body. Unfortunately mine won't budge. I don't want to force it until I'm sure this is the way to go.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DigiChromeEd wrote:
From what I've been able to glean from the scarce information on the internet re Hexanon lenses, once the name plate ring and rubber o-ring have been removed, the front element assembly should screw out of the lens body. Unfortunately mine won't budge. I don't want to force it until I'm sure this is the way to go.

Understood. Makes sense.

Were you able to learn, or determine, the role your three small screws play? Are they germane, or merely incidental to your ongoing disassembly effort?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 5:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I remember correctly, the three small screws are grub screws, preventing the retaining ring from rotating. My Konica 50/1.7 (latest AE-version) had but one of the screws left (had probably been opened before). Unscrewing that allowed me to unscrew the retaining ring with my (gloved) fingers.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sceptic wrote:
If I remember correctly, the three small screws are grub screws, preventing the retaining ring from rotating. My Konica 50/1.7 (latest AE-version) had but one of the screws left (had probably been opened before). Unscrewing that allowed me to unscrew the retaining ring with my (gloved) fingers.

That's valuable information. Thank you for posting!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello, I am new here but have exactly the same problem with an Hexanon 135/3.5. I managed to remove the front bezel which showed the front element without any retaining ring or screws. Then, I removed the three screws under the sliding hood and tried to unscrew the front element to no avail. There is a black rubber gasket around the front element but removing it showed nothing but the painted metal of the front element mount, no screws or any other hint as to what course to follow. Tried to unscrew the front element in both directions and it wouldn't budge.

Any ideas?

(I'll try to post some pictures later)

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 3:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aponce wrote:
Hello, I am new here but have exactly the same problem with an Hexanon 135/3.5. I managed to remove the front bezel which showed the front element without any retaining ring or screws. Then, I removed the three screws under the sliding hood and tried to unscrew the front element to no avail. There is a black rubber gasket around the front element but removing it showed nothing but the painted metal of the front element mount, no screws or any other hint as to what course to follow. Tried to unscrew the front element in both directions and it wouldn't budge.

Any ideas?

(I'll try to post some pictures later)

Welcome and thank you for your post. I'm sorry. I have no specific answers for you. I hope others will be able to answer your question specifically regarding the 3.5 and/or at least another 135mm Hexanon. I'm unable.

I can offer only the following:

Just in the last week or so I encountered a Hexanon lens where the front element was (in essence) glued into place. It was a very tough disassembly. Fortunately I had access and was able to apply acetone to the glue without threatening the lens. I had to do this at least five separate times, each time scraping away softened glue until finally the last application of acetone reached the innermost (the deepest) glue, softened it, and allowed me to unscrew the front element. This was a really tedious process and at no time, until the front element finally budged, was I sure what I was doing was effective.

I can only imagine that with the 135mm Hexanons, including my 3.2 and your 3.5, that the elements might be equally securely glued but that the site of the glue might be far less accessible than with the aforementioned lens. If I'm right, disassembly is going to be a bear. Crying or Very sad

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If anyone actually manages to open their 3.5/135 could you post the details here? I've come to a dead end with mine! Sad

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just took my 135/3.5 apart, to know what I am talking about. It really is dead simple:
1. Unscrew the three grub screws found under the sliding hood.
2. Set the lens to its minimum focusing distance (just to make the following step easier).
3. Grab the barrel where the three screws used to be and unscrew the entire front section of the lens body; it separates from the focusing ring.
4. Voila!, the front lens group is exposed and is easily unscrewed (counter-clockwise as everything else on this lens).

You don´t need to remove the name ring nor the rubber gasket, it all comes along when you unscrew the front barrel in step 3 (I just found this out as I went along).

Hope that helps.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great! Thank you so much. I didn't want to remove the grub screws until I was sure what they were there for. Very Happy

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 4:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're welcome. I'm just glad to be able to help, and to contribute to the info on lens repair that floats around on the web.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sceptic wrote:
I just took my 135/3.5 apart, to know what I am talking about. It really is dead simple:
1. Unscrew the three grub screws found under the sliding hood.
2. Set the lens to its minimum focusing distance (just to make the following step easier).
3. Grab the barrel where the three screws used to be and unscrew the entire front section of the lens body; it separates from the focusing ring.
4. Voila!, the front lens group is exposed and is easily unscrewed (counter-clockwise as everything else on this lens).

You don´t need to remove the name ring nor the rubber gasket, it all comes along when you unscrew the front barrel in step 3 (I just found this out as I went along).

Hope that helps.

Thank you very much. It worked as a charm. First and second element are mounted in a sort of cylinder and glued. I was able to remove the better part of fungi in the back of the second element, but I have to wait until next weekend to unglue the elements and remove the rest of the fungi.

Thanks again.

Any ideas as to what to use to unglue the lenses?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Out of respect for the excellent contributions of a number of posters here regarding the f/3.5, I have changed the thread title to add "f/3.5" in order better to reflect this actual discussion.

Sadly for me personally, I still have the dilemma of f/3.2 disassembly, my original reason for opening this thread. The f/3.2 is different. Perhaps help will arrive in the fullness of time. I hope so. Sad

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I finally found a 135/3.2 on the Swedish equivalent to Craigslist at just under 40 USD. As soon as it arrives, I'll put the screwdriver to work and will hopefully find a way of getting to the front element.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 7:26 pm    Post subject: Hexanon 135/3.2 Reply with quote

I can only confirm that the opening of the 3.2 folllows what described for the 3.5.

I was lucky and could easily access the screws to adjust infinity, for an experiment of mine.

Dont' want to hijack the thread but it seems I am not as lucky with the Hexanon 35mm, and no info seems accessible on the net. No screws around, not even under the focusing rubber band. Under the name plate, just the first lens but, bynow, no luck in removing the barrel.

Any hint is welcome,

Stefano

Last edited by seppstefano on Tue Sep 10, 2013 8:21 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@seppstefano: Have you tried going in from the mount side of the lens? What exactly are you trying to do? Complete teardown, cleaning the aperture blades or something else?

Most, if not all, lenses I´ve taken apart have required work from both the front and the back to completely free the barrel from lens elements and aperture housing (excluding the 55 2.8 micro-Nikkor, which could only be opened from the mount).

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sceptic wrote:
@seppstefano: Have you tried going in from the mount side of the lens? What exactly are you trying to do? Complete teardown, cleaning the aperture blades or something else?

Most, if not all, lenses I´ve taken apart have required work from both the front and the back to completely free the barrel from lens elements and aperture housing (excluding the 55 2.8 micro-Nikkor, which could only be opened from the mount).

Well after a quick try, I'm trying to use this 35mm to my Pentax DSLR. I'm aware of the huge 5mm difference in the register distance, but I was trying to understand if I could recover something by adjusting the infinity point i.e. - basically - by moving the optical group nearer to the sensor plane. This before shaving mm from somewhere in the rear part of the barrel, preferably saving an aperture mechanism able to let me stop down.

I unscrew the name ring, but under it there is the (relatively) huge front element and no room for accessing the screws which - for example in the 135/3.2 - allows to register infinity point.

I know that hexanons are very hard to adapt, but I've had luck in adapting an old Tokina 400 for FD to Pentax and these hexanon glasses are very intriguing to me ...

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@guardian (and everyone else trying to take their 135/3.2 apart):
I just received my 135/3.2 (f/16 yellow EE-version) and it unscrews pretty much like I described for the 135/3.5.
One difference though, it only has one (1) grub screw keeping the barrel from rotating. It´s the one closest to the focusing ring, visible even when the lens shade is pushed all the way back towards the back of the lens. Unscrew that and then simply unscrew the front portion of the barrel.

There is one grub screw found when pulling the shade out/forward, but I'm not sure what that one does.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sceptic wrote:
@guardian (and everyone else trying to take their 135/3.2 apart):
I just received my 135/3.2 (f/16 yellow EE-version) and it unscrews pretty much like I described for the 135/3.5.
One difference though, it only has one (1) grub screw keeping the barrel from rotating. It´s the one closest to the focusing ring, visible even when the lens shade is pushed all the way back towards the back of the lens. Unscrew that and then simply unscrew the front portion of the barrel.

There is one grub screw found when pulling the shade out/forward, but I'm not sure what that one does.

Thank you. I don't know why I didn't react to your post prior. I might have missed it but I should not have. I'm only back on this thread because of your post here

http://forum.mflenses.com/viewtopic,p,1356384.html#1356384

which I found helpful.

I am so backed up with work right now I've not tried again to disassemble my 3.2. When I get to it I will post what I can, if I am successful.