Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

FD 100/2.8 SSC disassembly
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 3:21 pm    Post subject: FD 100/2.8 SSC disassembly Reply with quote

Does anyone have a real life experience with taking apart the front end of FD 100/2.8 SSC? Please, if at all possible, do not point me towards generic FD repair guides.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you looking fo a step-by-step guide for that lens or do you have a specific question?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's more of a specific question - once I remove the decorative layer and get to the front group, where do I go from there? Do I remove the focusing ring and get access to something I do not yet see, or do I need to soak and force one of the rings holding the group, and which one.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got one sitting on my desk which needs a thorough cleaning anyway (S/N 80xxx). So let's give it a try:

1. Unscrew the name plate (you've probably done that).
2. Unscrew the silver ring and remove it together with the filter thread / hood mount. Unscrewing it needed a little force as it was secured with some paint/glue. (I would not use one of the China wrenches for that...)
3. Remove the three screws that hold the focusing ring and take it of. It doesn't look that's it is necessary to mark its position (set it to the infinity index before tightening it again).

Unscrewing the outer black ring would allow you to pull the entire optics and diaphragm assembly off the housing.

4. Remove the top black ring (the one with the diagonal slots). I have used a rubber wrench. The front lens should be loose now. I have left the front lens in place. I just wanted to have a little more room for the next step. Depending on the shape of your wrenches you may be able to skip this step
5. Unscrew the front lens group (the two round holes) and take it off.

The next slotted ring can be spotted behind the front lens.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 1:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see. Thanks, I was being lazy and did not want to take off the focusing ring, but I really do, don't I? By the way how does that pollicis driver work for you? Does it have a decent grip? Is the tip magnetized? I chipped my Vessel on Monday and apparently they don't make them any longer in 00.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gardener wrote:
I see. Thanks, I was being lazy and did not want to take off the focusing ring, but I really do, don't I? By the way how does that pollicis driver work for you? Does it have a decent grip? Is the tip magnetized? I chipped my Vessel on Monday and apparently they don't make them any longer in 00.

I use the interchangeable metal drivers and find them to be a bit too small sometimes to impart enough torque... such that a larger Phillips, despite a non-JIS tip, actually works better. Having said that, they would have to be the highest quality blades I've ever found on a screwdriver in 2017. Extremely durable - I've been quite rough with mine (due to the grip issue) but the tips have never been damaged beyond the black coat.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Taking the focusing ring off makes things easier IMO but is not an absolute requirement.

The screw driver's tip is not magnetized. The grip is kind off thin but I never found I couldn't get the force on it I needed. It's branded “Moody” (Made in USA, purchased through Amazon Germany).

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. I think I could deal with thinner handle on a smaller tip screwdriver, but non-magnetic tip? That's not for me.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gardener wrote:
Thanks. I think I could deal with thinner handle on a smaller tip screwdriver, but non-magnetic tip? That's not for me.

I just use some blu-tac/adhesive putty on the tip when I need. You can always remove the blades and magnetise them yourself.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's not a bad idea! Anyway - I found a 00 Hozan for $4 shipped, so I'll see if that works out.