Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Advice needed on "large-sensor" compact
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 6:24 pm    Post subject: Advice needed on "large-sensor" compact Reply with quote

Normally i would never be in the market for such a camera, but now i need some surgery to be done in my right arm and i won't be able to pick up heavy cameras for quite a few weeks after that.

So i thought it would be nice to buy something a lot lighter but which gives great pictures nevertheless!
No new ones, i'm looking to buy second hand, as it will be for temporary use, but i have not got a single clue on what is good and what not and whatever is available!

Some net-surfing pointed me to a Sigma DP1s (or DP1x) which can be had for around 160 euros, which is a nice price-tag. It's quite a rare one on the second hand market so i wondered if anybody here knew any alternatives to this one??
It has a (nearly) APS-C sensor and a 28mm equiv. prime lens.

Thanks a lot!!
René.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nikon Coolpix A will be a good alternative.

https://www.dpreview.com/reviews/nikon-coolpix-a

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ricoh GR 16MP/APS-C is most probably best in this class. However, the used price might be still a little bit higher. The "28mm" lens is really excellent (actually 18.3mm on APS-C). I have the A12/28mm (12MP/APS-C) lens module for my Ricoh GXR which is equipped with the same lens and know what I am talking about. I am using it preferably as typical holiday camera when I don't want to carry heavy equipment. If you find a GXR with this module for a reasonable price this would be also a nice little camera and would give you the option to take another module later on as well.
The GXR with the M-mount module is still my preferred camera. That's the reason why I have two of them. Wink

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the later G-series Canons would be my choice. Say a G10 or later. They're solid, good cameras and take great photos. They also have a Canon-dedicated hot shoe, an uncommon feature on this type of camera.

Second choice would be one of the later Fujifilm digital single zoom lens "slrs". I like Fuji because they have great glass and the form factor is comfortable.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, i looked at the Coolpix A and he GXR, but both are well over 200 euros, which was not my intention on spending.

A Canon G12 fits the bill though, it's a zoom and the sensor is not as big as the DP1 but from what i read it's pretty good.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alternatively, a Sony Nex camera might be light enough. I like to take a Nex5 with its 16mm fi for ultimate light weight, or a Nex5n with EVF and say a rokkor-m 40/2. The body is about 250g, so if you can live without big zoom lenses it may fit your requirements.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Sigma DP1s - as much as I like my copy - offers a rather limited resolution and a very poor low light performance. It's a fun cam, though.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dickb wrote:
Alternatively, a Sony Nex camera might be light enough. I like to take a Nex5 with its 16mm fi for ultimate light weight, or a Nex5n with EVF and say a rokkor-m 40/2. The body is about 250g, so if you can live without big zoom lenses it may fit your requirements.

That is an idea.... i still have an old but functional NEX3 around. But i have no AF lenses for it, only the 28-70 for the A7. But a lot of adapters and manual lenses..... this way i could probably start using some lenses i have never used before!

LucisPictor wrote:
The Sigma DP1s - as much as I like my copy - offers a rather limited resolution and a very poor low light performance. It's a fun cam, though.

That wouldn't be a problem for me, the samples i have seen on flickr look very good to me! I'd mostly use it outside, so low light performance isn't really an issue.
I've seen an DP1X for 120, which is quite tempting, but before spending money now i'll check out the old NEX3 option!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, well, the great thing about any NEX, besides their large APS-C sensor, is their interchangeable lens capability. It would bust your budget, but eventually you can add lenses like some of the Leica-thread wide angles that are very compact. I have a Canon Serenar 35mm f/3.2 that is quite compact, and when mounted to my NEX 7 makes the camera easily pocketable. With a 35mm equivalent of about 62mm, it would function well as a bit of a long "normal" lens.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the NEX-C3 which is astonishingly nice working with all of my M39 RF super wide and wide lenses from Voigtlander. No color shift or smeared edged like on some other NEX and A7 types. Such lenses are very small and make the combination really pocket-able.
Especially the 15/4.5, 21/4 and 25/4 are very nice little lenses. If your budget is allowing this I would strongly recommend to consider such a combination as well.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, compactness is not important. The weight is.
So buying L39 lenses for it's size is not what i'm after, besides the fact that i have many (really, a lot!) lenses around already. Some of them i bought and never used, so maybe this is the time to try some of them on the old NEX3, which is indeed lightweigth, how could i forget?

It also popped my mind to load some film in various compacts i still have around, could be fun as well!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TrueLoveOne wrote:

It also popped my mind to load some film in various compacts i still have around, could be fun as well!

Oh yeah! Sounds like fun, indeed. If you're like me, you probably have a half-dozen or more compact 35s laying around. It's a real hoot, I've found, running some rolls through a pile of old compact 35s. In the past, I've shot the same subjects, comparing scenes afterwards. That was often illuminating.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cooltouch wrote:
If you're like me, you probably have a half-dozen or more compact 35s laying around.

To be honest: i dare not to make a list....... Embarassed it's that many! Mostly Minolta and Konica, i used to do that with nice weather, always carry one or another film-compact around and just shoot some. That is fun! In my albums list on flickr you can see some of them with sample pictures.
I just got a Minolta Riva Mini which is at the top of the list!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sigma DP reputed to be slow, hassly handling. Not sure about weight.

All plastic DSLR and lens maybe? SonyA plastic bomber and 35-80N.. Probably still too heavy.

Panasonic FZ4/5 (7 probably too) plasticy, very light, super zoom. P&s sensor = barely usable at iso 80, less light = pain, also megapixel limited

Other than that the Sony luxury compacts .. S95, S100, RX100 .. not optimised for weight but small thus cannot drag you down much. Can read up at Rockwell.