Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

This week in Calgary with Zeiss
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 11:55 pm    Post subject: This week in Calgary with Zeiss Reply with quote

All shot with Zeiss ZM Planar 50mm f2, yellow filter - please tell me how to improve.

#1 - Kidding Around

#2 - Anyone for Tennis?

#3 - Oh no!

#4 - Ahh! My personal favourite from the day. Lots going on here. The lady with the two canes was begging (I'd had a chat with her already (and gave her my change!) and we got to talking about how people were oblivious to each other. Then along came this couple, she was lovely (to look at, obviously, and a genuinely nice person I think: she had no change but turned to her boyfriend and made him empty his wallet for the caned lady). But he still struck me as a bit of a prick - he demanded the kiss for GIVING OVER THE CHANGE... I hope the cute girl comes to her senses.

#5 - Reading and Waiting

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like 1

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 5:28 pm    Post subject: Re: This week in Calgary with Zeiss Reply with quote

l9magen wrote:

#3 - Oh no!

My favourite. You're left wondering what the lady has forgotten. Or just remembered. Are those friends, or bystanders drawn into the lady's anxiety? Or perhaps there's the dismay at the bold pronouncement of 0% off. That really is an exclusive shop. Oh! The disapointment.

My imagination is left to run. Nice one.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like 1

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you all for the kind feedback.

SCIOLIST - I don't think she knew the nearby ladies, but yes, it might have been the exclusivity of the store that was shocking.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

l9magen wrote:
Thank you all for the kind feedback.

SCIOLIST - I don't think she knew the nearby ladies, but yes, it might have been the exclusivity of the store that was shocking.

0% off man. That's bold Wink .

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was actually 10% off, but I had positioned myself so that you couldn't see either of the "1" figures, and was taking a few shots of the chatting ladies when the third one suddenly made her exclamation - a Cartier-Bresson "moment"?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

l9magen wrote:
It was actually 10% off, but I had positioned myself so that you couldn't see either of the "1" figures, and was taking a few shots of the chatting ladies when the third one suddenly made her exclamation - a Cartier-Bresson "moment"?

10% off? Hmff! Skinflints Wink .

I have to say I really like 'Anyone for Tennis?' too. I like how the guy is framed twice. Between the borders of the image, and also between the tree and street lamp.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting thought. I would have presumed most people would have seen the tree/lamp as distracting, but when you're in that moment you can't always uproot trees and lamp-posts just because they obscure your "image".

But you pose an alternative viewpoint, and I like that. Thanks!!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

l9magen wrote:
Interesting thought. I would have presumed most people would have seen the tree/lamp as distracting, but when you're in that moment you can't always uproot trees and lamp-posts just because they obscure your "image".

But you pose an alternative viewpoint, and I like that. Thanks!!

Yeah, it looks like he's sitting behind the 'goal' line, taking time out.

When I saw 'Anyone for Tennis?', Bailey's Manhattan Shoot popped into my head. At the time I thought it might be because I'd only recently been reminded of it by watching the movie. But I'd seen quite a few images since and they hadn't brought that shoot to mind. Later I decided it was your use of the trees and lamp post. I would have discounted taking that shot thinking the uprights were a distraction rather than an enhancement. And I'd have been wrong. Bailey deliberately used 'distractions' on that shoot, the chain link fence shot comes to mind, and drove his overseer demented, so far was it from the norm of the day in fashion photography.

From someone like me who isn't experienced in street photography, thanks for the observation on street furniture. As you say, you can't move it out the way, so...